No announcement yet.

Arum: When Spence vs. Crawford can sell 500k PPV buys we'll start to talk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    That's way too generous, fight would sell 150k tops.
    You're right, I am. I just looked it up and Ward Kovalev sold 130k in the rematch. I don't think it does that poorly, but 200k is probably the ceiling.

If you look at Miguel Cotto, a true star in the sport, his PPV with Martinez only did 350k.

500k for Spence and Crawford? Not happening. Mayweather and Pacquiao were superstars, Spence and Crawford are just boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
      You're right, I am. I just looked it up and Ward Kovalev sold 130k in the rematch. I don't think it does that poorly, but 200k is probably the ceiling.

If you look at Miguel Cotto, a true star in the sport, his PPV with Martinez only did 350k.

500k for Spence and Crawford? Not happening. Mayweather and Pacquiao were superstars, Spence and Crawford are just boxers.
      One could make an argument that both Spence and Crawford are at least Cotto level when it comes to popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUE View Post
        The demand will be too big from fans not to be made, don't worry about that 500k PPV number. That is just Arum buying time. The fight will have to be made because it will be the only big fight left. Once Thurman is out the way.
        Honestly by the time Keith makes a return (if he ever does) and has a tune-up (or two) Spence will be at JMW. There's good chance both Al and Bob will figure they can make more by each going their own way... this isn't like May - Pac which was too big to not get made - eventually. Honestly I can see Bud dominating at WW 4 or 5 and Spence moving up to JMW at age 30 and ruling for 2 or 3 before this **** comes together with Bud moving up when he's ready to start thinking about his retirement fund at 35 or so.
        Last edited by Citizen Koba; 06-17-2018, 02:48 AM.

Comment

It will never be a huge fight. These guys have been around for a while as it is and neither of them have any mainstream appeal

Comment

spence is a dull fighter, he does all the things right in the ring but out the ring hes a yawn,
            hes very much in the same bracket as ward.
            hes ppv figures are low, would not sell out a quality venue..

the main problem for spence is people want entertainment with or with out a belt on the line,the meca of boxing now is in the uk,the only draw in usa is ppv,,
            spence might go 10years undefeated in the ring but go down as a boring fighter,

their would be more fizz in every aspect if khan & brooke got it on ..no one is bothered about spence

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              Arum said this last week. So stop with the "Spence don't want to fight Crawford" narrative. Arum already said he won't even entertain the fight until they can do 500k PPV. Spence is being realistic with his options as of now. And he's doing his part building his name and drawing power

It's a long shot. However, if that's Bob's bottom line then we may never see that fight happen anytime soon. Just so long as Bud Crawford is still signed with Top Rank. This is Arum's way of saying that he doesn't care for that particular fight as he prefers to keep his fighters in house.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                Honestly by the time Keith makes a return (if he ever does) and has a tune-up (or two) Spence will be at JMW. There's good chance both Al and Bob will figure they can make more by each going their own way... this isn't like May - Pac which was too big to not get made - eventually. Honestly I can see Bud dominating at WW 4 or 5 and Spence moving up to JMW at age 30 and ruling for 2 or 3 before this **** comes together with Bud moving up when he's ready to start thinking about his retirement fund at 35 or so.
                No he won't, that has been being said since he turned pro. Guess what? Still at 147. Still on weight weeks before a fight, and just came in at 156 on fight night. He will continue making weight as long as he wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                  Sooooooo never.

Did you see Spence tonight? All the talent in the world, but little personality. Same for Bud. They're not PPV guys and never will be.

Spence-Crawford for all the titles, undisputed, would sell 300-400k tops.
                  yeah that's the problem. We live in a media driven sports world now. Tickets are sold not by actual skill here in amerikka but by who can achieve the most popularity outside of the ring. Canelo got the Meixcan community on lock. If Broner was as good as he claimed, he'd be as big as mayweather now, but we all know he wasn't. Mayweather sold himself to the public. Though he was good, he didn't sell tickets cuz he was entertaining or great. I just hate what it takes to create a superstar nowadays. Winning just simply isn't enough. NO matter how great your comp is.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
                    I'm not mad at that. Right now its only a big fight for us hardcore fans. It deserves that crossover appeal. and we know hardcores alone wont produce those numbers we saw it with the Ward/Kovalev flop.

but hopefully they dont marinate it to death.. Crawford needs to fight on ESPN not no damn app.
                    please get that nonsense out of your avatar...**** that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                      please get that nonsense out of your avatar...**** that guy
                      lol Lebron is the GOAT.

Comment

Working...
                      X