Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Golovkin retired today, would he be a HOFer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Johnston View Post
    What dictates who the a and b side are who brings in the money. No one pays to see ward, he brings very little value. He went in with the idea he was a side and wouldn't budge, truth is if he was so serious about it he would have been reasonable.

He fought in a division that most think is weak but constantly won. People like to bring up Jacobs but facts are he put him down and won a clear decision as a result. A good % of people believe he beat canelo. So the guy steps up and instead of relying on his power he boxes and out-points guys we should treat those as loses? That's ultimately would people try to do
    WTF are you talking about? Golovkin wasn't a massive draw. Hadn't even been on PPV at the time. Golovkin asked for 50/50 and Ward offered 50/50. Just stop trying to rewrite history.

Comment

What dictates who the a and b side are who brings in the money. No one pays to see ward, he brings very little value. He went in with the idea he was a side and wouldn't budge, truth is if he was so serious about it he would have been reasonable.

He fought in a division that most think is weak but constantly won. People like to bring up Jacobs but facts are he put him down and won a clear decision as a result. A good % of people believe he beat canelo. So the guy steps up and instead of relying on his power he boxes and out-points guys we should treat those as loses? That's ultimately would people try to do
      No, that's not what people would try to do.

Golovkin dominated subpar opponents for the most of his career. Many insinuated that he was just too good, which made these great fighters look ordinary. But the first time he faced a worthy, NON p4p fighter, he didn't look that dominant, which negated that whole argument.

Then came the Canelo fight. We can argue about judges, and we can argue about public opinion. But anybody who believes that was a landslide victory for Golovkin is either blind, biased, or simply doesn't know how to judge fights.

Therefore, 1 less than stellar victory against a non p4p fighter in Jacobs and a draw, albeit controversial, against a jr middleweight moving up doesn't look like a HOF career to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        WTF are you talking about? Golovkin wasn't a massive draw. Hadn't even been on PPV at the time. Golovkin asked for 50/50 and Ward offered 50/50. Just stop trying to rewrite history.
        Proof? Or anything

Comment

Proof? Or anything
          So you don't even know the facts but claiming Ward was pricing himself out.

What an idiot.

Comment

Since you're saying Gennady cares about money (and wouldn't fight Ward over money split issues). Why did he fight Monroe Jr. or Wade? I promise you neither fight did anything for his career or resume. Those two were major underdogs to say the least:

Gennady Golovkin -10,000
            Dominic Wade +1600

That means you bet $100 on Wade and you win $1600

It also means you need to be $10,000 to win $100 if you pick Gennady to win.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/2...ez-chocolatito

Against Monroe Jr. the numbers were similar:

Golovkin victory are listed at -5000 while a Monroe win is listed at +2500

Bet $5,000 to win $100 for Gennady
            Betting $100 on Willie gives you $2,500

http://www.sportsbetlistings.com/box...ediction/7324/

Gennady didn't want to fight Ward because he would've lost. It's honestly not rocket science.

THAT IS OKAY. NOBODY is UNBEATABLE. The problem was Gennady and Abel calling out all fighters from 154-168 and then taking it back when Ward accepted. Once Ward it accepted it became:

"Oh, we need 164"
            "Oh, we're the A side...despite having never sold more than 97k PPV in Canada against Lemiuex...so David L sold the PPV...not Gennady"
            "Andre Ward too much for me - yes gennady literally said that"

Comment

• I would say yes. The man was the unified MW champion and defended his belt over 15 times (I don't remember the exact number).

Comment

• I doubt it. If he beats Canelo and then BJS for full unification then I could see him getting in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                  So you don't even know the facts but claiming Ward was pricing himself out.

What an idiot.
                  You made a claim i asked for some evidence to support it

Comment

• Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                    I would say yes. The man was the unified MW champion and defended his belt over 15 times (I don't remember the exact number).
                    His defences are bull****. He had the regular title while there was a super champ. He wasn't the real champion. Was Danny Jacobs the champion when he fought Golovkin or was Golovkin? Jacobs had the same title they count in Golovkins defences,

Comment

You made a claim i asked for some evidence to support it
                      If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't be asking.

Comment

Working...
                      X