Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers Who Turned Out To Be Duds!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand why people say Rigondeaux, but I don’t blame his abilities/resume for being a dud. In his prime he had the skill set to beat anyone in his division, but nobody wanted to fight him and boxing pretty much blackballed him for his boring fighting style when it mattered the most. It was a tough situation. I’ve dozed off on every one of his fights after Donaire, aside from Loma and the tall Asian fighter that dropped him twice.

My pick is Victor Ortiz. Had all the tools in the world, but his heart just wasn’t in boxing. It’s one thing to have a bad chin, but he made it painfully obvious that he doesn’t like getting hit. I gave him a pass for the Maidana loss because he was young, but the fight that really cemented who he was is the Peterson draw. He basically let him get back into the fight.

Comment

Howard Davis Jr.

Decorated amateur pedigree, won an olympic gold, given a trophy for most outstanding boxer in the olympics, given a huge contract at the time by CBS network along side a big signing bonus and had great speed and poise.

He had so much hype he was to be better than SRL. He simply could not beat anybody when he stepped it up and with all that speed his punching power was not good

Comment

Any boxer that won a title against a credible opponent should not be considered a dud. They are plenty of fighters that were hyped before even fighting in the pros and then fail miserably

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
          He still turned out a dud in his pro career when it really mattered. If he showed some heart in that fight instead of quitting because he is being outboxed i wouldnt be critical of him.

wrong. he quit in a big fight at the end of his career. doesn't mean he wasn't a pound for pounder for years, or take away from what he accomplished.

Comment

Mike Arnaoutis

They hyped the chit out of him when he was starting, his pro debut was televised on one of the hbo/showtime undercards. Then they would televise a lot of his initial pro fights. Never lived up to the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
              I thought James Kirkland was gonna be a beast and then along comes ishida from japan and destroys kirkland in like 4 rounds and he was never the same lost all his punch resistance.
              He beat him in the first round actually.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                Ricky Williams that kid had ALL the talent in the world.He even showed a good chin and heart in a fight where he was WAY off weight and fightin a bigger guy(he lost but took a beating like a champ).This kid was ONLY missing the ability to get his azz out of bed and WORKOUT.His lazy azz kept him from becoming a really GOOD FIGHTER IF NOT GREAT.
                Add Francisco Bojado, another 2000 olympian.
                Jermain Taylor, Jeff Lacy, Brian Viloria, Audley Harrison, Mahammatkodir Abdullaev, Rocky Juarez and Clarence Vinson also did less than it was expected.
                Cotto and Calderon ended as the best of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
                  this is a great example. man Chakhiev had so much hype coming up.

I'm not gonna lie I thought dude was gonna be a killer - he looked the part 100%.

But once he stepped up to that B+ level, he couldn't survive in deep waters
                  I mean, he had explosive power but like many explosive fighters his cardio wasn't good and his chin didn't helped him.

Comment

People are listing fighters who fulfilled their potential like Gamboa. He wasn't a dud. He got as far as he could possibly go and he was great. Duds are fighters that could have gone further.

Comment

Fernando Vargas. With steroids he was overhyped and just ok. Without, he wasn't even a gatekeeper.

Comment

Working...
                      X