Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder-Ortiz Showtime's Highest-Rated Fight Since Wilder-Stiverne

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    From the Broadcasters Audience Research Board, most reliable source there is for UK TV viewing figures:

Mayweather vs McGreggor: 874,000 PPVs

Joshua vs Klitschko: 1,532,000 PPVs

The BARB figures take a while to come out, but they are bang in line with the numbers Hearn was bragging about 2 days after the fight:

"Eddie Hearn has revealed to the BBC that the fight was purchased over 1.5 million times in the UK alone - a British record"
    Ok, thanks!

I thought floyd/Conor went over 1 mil
    Last edited by The Big Dunn; 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Ok, thanks!

I thought floyd/Conor went over 1 mil
      Never trust numbers from MMA sites!

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        From the Broadcasters Audience Research Board, most reliable source there is for UK TV viewing figures:

Mayweather vs McGreggor: 874,000 PPVs

Joshua vs Klitschko: 1,532,000 PPVs

The BARB figures take a while to come out, but they are bang in line with the numbers Hearn was bragging about 2 days after the fight:

"Eddie Hearn has revealed to the BBC that the fight was purchased over 1.5 million times in the UK alone - a British record"

If you want to check those numbers yourself, click this link, input the dates of the 2 events in the search field spaces, then scroll down to Sky Box Office Events:

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/w...ewing-summary/
        Just did that and your numbers are off. Every outlet says May/Mac is the biggest PPV in the UK along with Sky sports.

Sky Box Office Events 198 0.33 874 1.47 0:03 0.20
        Those are the numbers for the week of Floyd/Mac, you telling me they only did 198k for the week according to your link.

Comment

Awesome news. This was a great fight and I'm glad people tuned in to witness it.

Good for both Wilder and Showtime.

Comment

The first fight to average one million viewers on premium cable since April 2016 (Golovkin-Wade). Almost 2 years.

The first fight to average one million viewers on Showtime since January 2015 (Wilder-Stiverne I). Over 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyistall View Post
              Pacquiao-Horn peaked at 4.4 million viewers. Plus this fight was not on PPV. Let's not act like this was a global event or something hahah. Wilder, if you really want the AJ fight, take the lower % and win. Then you can write your own check. Especially if "it's not about the money" as you keep saying.
              Really bro lol Pacquiao has nothing to do with this article. Besides it was a direct comparison to Showtime's competitor HBO who also featured a boxing event the same night. More people have HBO than Showtime so for Showtime to generate more views than HBO with less customers was a win.
              Last edited by AdonisCreed; 03-06-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Great news. The fight delivered, everyone loves to see the heavyweights throwing big shots back and forth.

Hopefully this grows Wilder’s public profile to casuals and makes the public demand the Wilder/Joshua fight that much more.

Wilder is a heavyweight who ends all his fights in KOs. Plus his fundamentals are lacking in ways that make all his fights more exciting because opponents usually land a few on him to go along with his sometimes weird balance/footwork. It all makes it more interesting to a casual viewer who is drawn towards a fight that could end at any minute.

I’ve been a big fan for a long time but I think even those of you who aren’t have to admit that Wilder is great entertainment and that he brings something to the sport that really nobody else is bringing.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                  Just did that and your numbers are off. Every outlet says May/Mac is the biggest PPV in the UK along with Sky sports.

Sky Box Office Events 198 0.33 874 1.47 0:03 0.20
                  Those are the numbers for the week of Floyd/Mac, you telling me they only did 198k for the week according to your link.
                  The only number you need to look at there is the one in the Weekly reach column, because Sky Box Office only screen one event per week. Reach = viewers, btw.

The other numbers are average daily reach, both as a number and a percentage of the total, and the last 2 numbers are average time spent by people per day watching that channel, again as a number and a percentage.

So the total number of viewers for the week of the Mayweather/McGreggor fight was 874k and they would all have been watching the fight, because there was nothing else on the channel that week.

The number in same weekly reach column for AJ/Wlad is given as 1532k, so it was watched by more viewers than May/Mac.
                  Last edited by kafkod; 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Great news. I had a lot of people who don't normally follow boxing talking about this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire4231 View Post
                      Wonder how accurate these numbers are. We had 10 people who didn’t have Showtime subscriptions at our house to watch the fight. How do they determine actual viewership? Either way this fight created real ground swell for Wilder. Casuals love heavy weights and the room kept commenting on how they missed seeing the giants go at it. Was a great look for boxing and fans are chomping at the bit for more. Deontay and AJ are the most consistent (yet vulnerable) destructive forces in boxing. We have all the ingredients of a superfight amongst boxing gods if the promotional parties get their head out of their arse and don’t quiver when it comes to pulling the trigger. Hearn is so worried about the money he may lose, that he may lose track of the money they will gain for making the fight happen and setting up a rematch or two. For idiots screaming Pac/Horn did 4 million on free tv... Spence vs Bundu did 5 million on free tv. So what are you saying bro. These are phenomenal ratings for Showtime and HBO would have killed off Lederman to have these numbers. Stop being a fan boy and enjoy the rise of boxing’s heavyweights. Boxing is killing the game because Showtime is staging nothing but quality fights!!!
                      "Wonder how accurate these numbers are. We had 10 people who didn’t have Showtime subscriptions at our house to watch the fight. How do they determine actual viewership? "

They really cant and its stupid . I watched the fight bc i got a free showtime preview i can cancel but will probably keep the subscription until the Parker / Joshua fight .

I would bet not many watch fights that are on PPV alone anyway , boxing really is a gathering type sport where you get groups who watch it together . If a bar gets Showtime i dont believe its illegal for them to show it either ?

Best way to configure popularity of a fighter is social media and ticket sales .
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 03-06-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X