Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Deontay Wilder Survives Huge Scare, Knocks Ortiz Out in Tenth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RuslanChagaev View Post
    Whats next for Deontay and what does Ortiz expect from now on?
    Will come down to how the Joshua-Parker fight goes and what Hearn plans with Joshua (Ortiz taking the time off after being KO'd too).

If Wilder-Joshua (or Joshua-Wilder) doesn't happen in August [both guys take April to rest, press tour after the May 5th PPV, with both guys in 12-week camps building to the fight, etc], Joshua (assuming he wins) likely fights Povetkin over the summer, with Wilder fighting Breazeale, and Wilder-Joshua gets the fever set for early 2019 (Saturday after the Super Bowl?).

Ortiz, having now shown his ability on a big stage, likely gets the chance to headline a show on FS1 from Miami, or gets paired with Erislandy Lara for a show on Showtime (Not sure how the money would work out but a Lara-Charlo, Ortiz-Molina double would be fun to see).

Comment

• Originally posted by Just looking View Post
      About the same here, still wanting to know why so many people had Ortiz so far ahead. Must be some kind of bias of the type "you can't outbox the boxer", so the puncher is always down
      Four rounds in, neither fighter had really done much to set the fight, so folks have been given the rounds to Ortiz for simply being the fighter who moved his hands more (think I had it 3-1 for Ortiz but those rounds could've rightfully have been all 10-10).

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Four rounds in, neither fighter had really done much to set the fight, so folks have been given the rounds to Ortiz for simply being the fighter who moved his hands more (think I had it 3-1 for Ortiz but those rounds could've rightfully have been all 10-10).
        I had those rounds split 2-2 but yeah, they could all have been 10-10 rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
          I had those rounds split 2-2 but yeah, they could all have been 10-10 rounds.
          For me it was Ortiz 1, 2; Wilder 4 and the third was so close it could go either way

Comment

• Well said!

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I don't get that as a defense against open scoring. EVERY sport that has the score known by competitors has competitors making decisions based upon that score. I don't really get why boxers should be seen as lesser & not worthy of knowing where they stand.

I wouldn't even be mad if fans were left out of knowing the score if fans enjoy the "surprise" of it all as is another defense against open scoring, but I believe it ups the intelligence & strategy of the sport to have open scoring if anything.
            That was well said. Some of these posters on here are not boxing fans, just rabid racist haters.

Comment

• Heck of a chin Wilder has.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                If only Ortiz had a bit of more patience... he was winning. Though the judges were giving it to Wilder.
                Exactly, this is why im not renewing my Showtime subscription. Ortiz was up by at least 2 rounds before the final round, yet all 3 judges had Wilder winning. To make matters worse the ref gave Wilder extra time to recover at the beginning of the 8th round by sending him to the ringside doctor to get looked at. He had no cuts, and wasnt even knocked down the previous round, although he was close to going out. Theres always some kind of controversy like this in a Pbc fight and its bull****, thats a big reason why Showtime and Hbo have plummeted in the ratings.

With that being said Ortiz should have had a little better conditioning. He could have knocked Wilder out in the 7th or even the beginning of the 8th but looked too gassed to pull the trigger. He is 38 years old which is old for a boxer, but still he could have lost 15 lbs of extra fat and would have had much more stamina for the fight, and he could have knocked him out. I like Wilder and how hes representing America, but I honestly think Joshua ices him. Wilders only hope is to knock Joshua out but I see it going the other way, a knockout or decision in Joshuas favor
                Last edited by jjsmyth87; 03-04-2018, 06:57 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• This was a heavyweight title fight these Pretenders they're not even average... a smaller Clay Liston Holmes would have knocked both these bums out...

Comment

• Originally posted by labaria View Post
                    That was well said. Some of these posters on here are not boxing fans, just rabid racist haters.
                    Open scoring would make the judges more accountable for their scoring too. Almost every Pbc card the A side never loses on the cards even if they lost the fight. Has happened countless times this is just one horrible scoring fight out of many for Pbc

Comment

• Gotta respect Wilder after that. He could have easily been stopped in the 7th there. Hopefully people finally give him a break about his resume. He's hunted a few of the better guys multiple times but caught a bad break. He now has a legit boxer in his resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X