Collapse
No announcement yet.

was ward kovalev 2 a fair stoppage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kov should have been given time to recover from the low blows. I still think Ward would have ended it in the next round or so but stopping it there under those circumstances was not right.

Comment

Hatton responded to Tszyu's borderline shots with a low blow. He possibly would have won without resorting to this tactic so who is to blame for his tainted win? Was it the ref for allowing it to happen? No it was Ricky's fault for the choices he made.

Comment

Poll results not even close, just like they were in the first fight regarding who won the fight.

Comment

It wasn't well handled, but I really didn't see a reason to keep it going. The alcoholism and erratic training caught up with kov as the fight went on. Put Kovalev in Ward's position and make Kov be Ward or BHop and this thread would be about what a quitting coward looking for a way out Ward/Bhop were.

Comment

Originally posted by RomanReigns View Post
            Good stoppage. He likely get ko in the next round if the referee continue the fight.

i keep hearing this. it does not matter

were the blows legal?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
              It wasn't well handled, but I really didn't see a reason to keep it going. The alcoholism and erratic training caught up with kov as the fight went on. Put Kovalev in Ward's position and make Kov be Ward or BHop and this thread would be about what a quitting coward looking for a way out Ward/Bhop were.

no. they'd still be low blows, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by The_ultimate View Post
                Kov should have been given time to recover from the low blows. I still think Ward would have ended it in the next round or so but stopping it there under those circumstances was not right.

the only posts that matter are those similar to this. i really can't take seriously anybody who says otherwise.

Comment

Of course it was a garbage stoppage.

Kovalev was momentarily hurt from the right hand, but he was still there enough to avoid Ward’s shots that followed, Ward started punching himself out, gassed and went and launched three low blows in a desperate attempt. A good body shot will knock away all the air from the lungs, drop you and leave you gasping for air. Certainly not make you lean forward and grab your balls yelling out in agony. That was clearly a reaction from pain in the nuts, and the shots were very visibly illegally low.

Kovalev was hurt, but Ward was gassed. A fair break to recuperate from the lowblow, and the fight would have kept on going, and anything could have happened afterwards.

In the first fight, after the Knock Down, Ward was hurt and wobbly and dived in for Kovalev’s legs in a desperate survival takedown attempt. How would Wardtards react if Byrd had stopped the fight at that point?

Comment

**** stoppage. I'm not one for conspiracies, but it is weird how Ward's back had marks on it, which he never had previously.

Comment

Someone alerted me to this poll/thread...I guess it's time to set the record straight and hurt some feelings again...

As of right now, 74 people are dead wrong saying it wasn't a fair stoppage...embarrassingly wrong.

My thoughts are they are either anti-American garbage fans, were Kovalev nuthuggers, or don't know The Sport as well as they thought they did...among other possibilities...

Here ya go, kids...

Originally posted by Legendary Hater View Post
                      That Ward-Kovalev fight is a Modern Classic for a multitude of reasons...one of my favorites being that it exposed the inexperienced/uneducated "fans" on boards like this...

Most people who have boxed professionally or followed the sport intricately over time knows that refs are trained and instructed to NOT call a blow low if the fighter receiving the blow is noticeably bent over (like Kovalev was), and the blow is anywhere NEAR borderline...

If the blow is obviously low on a doubled over fighter, say mid-thigh or coming from very low up into the testicles, then, it should be deemed low...

NOW you know...so you can stop crying and start learning...try to EVOLVE like how Kovalev is supposedly trying to, and maybe someday you will become the best Boxing fan you can be...
                      Weeks did a tremendous job...as an advanced, veteran ref of his stature is expected to do...he recognized Kovalev's high belt and pointed out what would be deemed "low", took Kovalev's crying over legal shots and overall body language into consideration, and stopped the fight to preserve the fighter's safety...

If you don't believe or know all this in your heart, you will die an ignorant, wannabe Boxing fan...that's all I can say...

I will not debate this with any of you as all of the above are FACTS...that is the way refs are trained on low blows and when to stop fights.

#ClassDismissed

Comment

Working...
                      X