Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: News: Kelly Pavlik, Juan Sanchez, Lenin Castillo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wish kelly all the best. his fall from grace was really pretty remarkable. he went from beating jermain taylor and literally having the world at his fingertips to a washed up, retired drunk in five years. this sport is the perfect storm for the rise and fall of an athlete.

curiously, just look at jermain. that guy was never the same after the first pavlik fight. took a hellish beating and was never the same guy inside or outside of the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by sweeterscience View Post
      It is somewhat embarrassing for you to be so aggressive in disagreement to an utter stranger. Regardless, I give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant only to open a dialogue, otherwise, why would you waste your time? And we can continue this discussion.

I presume you have looked at Hopkins record after beating Pavlik. Drew with a severely limited and injured Pascal, got an undeserved MD in the second, had a questionably legitimate shoulder injury and went down weeping in the second against Dawson, then lost to Dawson...then beat Tavoris Cloud after splitting his eye by headbutting him in a closer fight than the gift scorecards showed. That's a little different than your vague and deliberately misleading statement that the proper champ continued his meteoric rise. Perhaps my perception is a bit different than yours, and I don't need to question your boxing IQ like an insecure child...no, real grown ups can simply state their opinion and accept other people might disagree. There's a lesson in there.
      Hopkins was robbed in Canada against Pascal in their first fight. After going down 5 points after the first 3 rounds (3-0 + 2 KDs), he won the last 9 rounds.

He was the clear winner in their rematch as even the hometown judges couldn't take it away from him a second time.

Also don't forget the fact that Pavlik jumped two weight classes to take that fight. Against an ATG that would go on to win the lineal title and then the unified title at the weight. If Bob had that one to do over again, I think he would have chosen a different route.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        curiously, just look at jermain. that guy was never the same after the first pavlik fight. took a hellish beating and was never the same guy inside or outside of the ring.
        That's absolutely correct. Pavlik ruined him, Abraham put the finishing touch on that scrambled brain.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjer88 View Post
          The Hopkins fight was the beginning of the end for Pavlik. He never regained his footing after that. He was DAMN exciting to watch on the way up, and he destroyed Jermain Taylor when BHOP couldn't.

If Sergio's knees were at 25% during the time of the Pavlik fight, then Pavlik's hunger was at .2%.
          I don't disagree with you. Pavlik had a terrible camp before the Martinez fight and grossly underperformed, albeit against a very talented guy against Martinez whobwas also a bad style matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshik View Post
            First it's vociferous. Next, Sergio was 100% for that fight and even at 43 the mutant, Hopkins was a world class fighter. They were fighting at a CW that was halfway to LHW a weight class that Hopkins would reside in shortly. #casual
            I am not sure you understand what the word vociferous means because if you did, then you would realize that you statement doesn't make any logical sense. #firstyearwatchingboxing #GEDgenius #liveswithhismom

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by sweeterscience View Post
              All of the voiciferous praise for Pavlik calling him the next best thing to Marvin Hagler seems to forget he got shut out by an ancient and sliding B-Hop and clearly lost to Sergio Martinez when the man had less than 25% mobility in his knees.

I think Pavlik was a solid champion who did some clever cherrypicking of guys when they were kust past it enough to look legit, but this Pavlik love-fest is way over the top.

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
              After beating Pavlik, Hopkins went on to win the lineal LHW title. After that reign, he went on to unify the LHW division. Hopkins was far from finished when he fought Pavlik.
              Martinez's knee was 100% when he fought Pavlik. He didn't injure his knee until he fought JCC Jr. In fact he knocked out 4 straight opponents after beating Pavlik.
              It doesn't seem like you know very much about boxing.
              You nailed it Pigeon. He!!, the fight would never have happened if Martinez' knee was at 25%. LOL!

I just wish Kelly hadn't ran into the demons, and could've fought on a few more years. I think he could have made some real noise in the sport.

Comment

Working...
              X