No announcement yet.

Was Larry Holmes….”The Greatest”?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by K-DOGG
    Foreman I can't see beating Holmes. Liston would have a better chance; but I dont' see it. And while I definetly can see your point with Frazier and the two proposed matches...I can also see Cooney doing to Frazier what Foreman did...same with Shavers.

Oh..and you are correct on Liston's age. He was 31 officially when he fought Clay.
    Holmes would have been on the mat half the match

Comment

• Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
      No Liston was 31/32 when he first fought Ali who was 22. And Ali was an undeveloped fighter then he looked like a lanky teenager where as Liston was a fully developed man.
      Ok, I guess you're right, but even so his best days had already passed, and I'm still amazed at the difference in size between the two, when they were announced only 8 lbs. apart.
      One question, is Ali was underdeveloped what was Louis?
      Ali was supposed to have weighed 210 in the Liston fight, and Louis fought right around 200 lbs. pretty much his whole career, and they were almost exactly the same height.

Comment

• I can also see Cooney doing to Frazier what Foreman did...same with Shavers.
        Cooney was a monster so it is possible. But Shavers I think is too small and not physically strong enough to beat Frazier like Foreman did. Shavers hit just as hard but Foreman pushed Frazier away with ease and just beat him into the canvas with size and strength. Foreman was hit by quite a lot of Frazier's left hooks in that fight - and they didn't bother him.
        Shavers wouldn't take these shots as well and I can see Frazier fighting hard and KO'ing shavers in 7.

But you are correct. It's all up for debate because you never quite know with boxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REAL NINJA
          Holmes would have been on the mat half the match
          Sorry, bud...can't see it. Larry was a much better boxer than George; and that piston jab of his would keep Foreman off balance. Foreman would be lucky to land anything solid, IMO. If Jimmy Young can outbox Foreman....

Comment

• One question, is Ali was underdeveloped what was Louis?
            You can see by looking at them during different stages in their careers. Look at Tyson vs Berbick - Tyson is 20 and fully developed.

Look at clay vs cooper and clay vs Liston, he is tall and thin. Yet look at Ali vs Foreman and Ali vs Frazier. Ali had filled out into his body and was physically mature. Different people physically mature at different times.
            Tyson was 200lbs when he was 13! And Louis was developed earlier than Ali.

Sorry, bud...can't see it. Larry was a much better boxer than George; and that piston jab of his would keep Foreman off balance. Foreman would be lucky to land anything solid, IMO. If Jimmy Young can outbox Foreman....
            I think John Ruiz is a better boxer than George! And the George that fought young was a mere shadow of his former self. He lost a lot of his fighting heart after Rumble in the jungle.
            Last edited by Southpaw Stinger; 06-14-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by K-DOGG
              I know but it seems some how everyone found his chin at some point** caugh Rinaldo Snipes caugh** let me put it this way i think OLD man Foreman could beat OLD man Holmes, but prime VS prime you could very well be right

Comment

• He's one of the greatest

Comment

Working...
                X