Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Vasyl Lomachenko ever become greater than Floyd Mayweather Jr with a loss?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think for Loma to get the respect as an ATG he'll have to eventually move up to 140 and face Crawford who will hopefully still be able to make 140. Imagine the magnitude of that fight if, at that point, Crawford has beaten Thurman and Spence at 147 then agrees to move back down to 140 to fight Loma. It would be as big a challenge for Loma as any Floyd took.

A win over Garcia isn't THAT big. And besides Garcia and Crawford there really aren't any big, talented names that will add to his resume as an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      floyd started at 135, 154 is 3 weight classes above that. You can't change the criteria.

He couldn't make 144, he had no problem making 147.

Castillo and Corrales were bigger, as was Cotto and Maidana. Come on dude.

I agree Loma has a good resume. But he is 30. You can't say for sure he will fight long enough to equal what Floyd did.

Huh?? come on dude you should be ashamed of yourself for even typing that, it's cool if you don't really like Floyd, but to devalue his resume like that is shameful.

This is what I meant by it depends on what type of poster you are. If you are going to artificially be overly critical of floyd's resume then the same will be done with Loma and no way he surpasses this.

I mean Walters and Russell are good, they aren't in the class of old Mosley or old Cotto.

Floyd is one of the 15-20 greatest that has ever fought IMO. It will be hard for Loma to reach that level starting out so late and the politics of the sport.
      I am not changing the criteria, I am just stating a fact. Lomachenko is almost 30, his natural fighting weight is his current fighting weight or maybe 135 if he keeps growing but i doubt he will. Floyd starting as a 135 fighter has nothing to do with what his fighting weight is for majority of his career, Manny started at 108... he grew out of it, can't give him credit because he started at 108 and couldn't make the weight so now he is this midget beating up 130 lbers... Your fighting weight as a fighter is the weight you can make, and Floyd couldn't make 135 or 140 in the last decade of his career and thus there is no reason to give him credit for being a smaller guy because he started at 135. Fighters like Lomachenko would never get that sort of credit because they turned pro later in their careers, they took the amateur route trying to win the Olympics.

How are these guys bigger?
      Castillo - boxed as low as 125 lbs
      Corrales - boxed at 130 lbs
      Cotto - Debut 135
      Maidana - Fought as low as 136 (slightly above Floyd's starting division)

I am not hating on Floyd even though my opinion is different from yours. The facts are that Floyd rarely ever was at a size disadvantage, i've done my research on this before, you should do yours and then you won't post 4 people who were the same size as Floyd and tell me they were bigger. We have our opinions but there are plenty of facts to back the size debate.
      Last edited by Irony123; 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

floyd started at 135, 154 is 3 weight classes above that. You can't change the criteria.

He couldn't make 144, he had no problem making 147.

Castillo and Corrales were bigger, as was Cotto and Maidana. Come on dude.

I agree Loma has a good resume. But he is 30. You can't say for sure he will fight long enough to equal what Floyd did.

Huh?? come on dude you should be ashamed of yourself for even typing that, it's cool if you don't really like Floyd, but to devalue his resume like that is shameful.

This is what I meant by it depends on what type of poster you are. If you are going to artificially be overly critical of floyd's resume then the same will be done with Loma and no way he surpasses this.

I mean Walters and Russell are good, they aren't in the class of old Mosley or old Cotto.

Floyd is one of the 15-20 greatest that has ever fought IMO. It will be hard for Loma to reach that level starting out so late and the politics of the sport.
        oh and sorry what do you mean devaluating his resume?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          C'mon now, bro. Not everyone!
          OK 95% are lol. remember if you do not worship a black fighter you are a racist

Comment

It's tough. A loss is irreverent. There's 25-30 boxers greater than Mayweather, Calzaghe, Marciano, Lopez, Moonsri, Ottke with multiple losses. There's plenty with early career losses to non world champions too that are far greater.

Mayweather is great so it's always difficult to predict if a guy will be better than a great fighter and a safe bet is often no since less fighters are all-time greats than merely excellent fighters. If he becomes an undisputed (or even majority unified) champion and beats one great fighter in his prime he'll have done two things Floyd never did and that's a good start and probably a more acceptable time to ask this question.

Comment

Originally posted by darius45 View Post
              I think for Loma to get the respect as an ATG he'll have to eventually move up to 140 and face Crawford who will hopefully still be able to make 140. Imagine the magnitude of that fight if, at that point, Crawford has beaten Thurman and Spence at 147 then agrees to move back down to 140 to fight Loma. It would be as big a challenge for Loma as any Floyd took.

A win over Garcia isn't THAT big. And besides Garcia and Crawford there really aren't any big, talented names that will add to his resume as an ATG.
              pretty sure it would be a much bigger challenge than anyone floyd fought. floyd wasnt really in the challenge yourself business. floyds resume is pretty bad when you break down when he fought people. corrales, castillo, and drained canelo are the only good prime fighters he has. crawford is way better than those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                Let’s question that loss solido didn’t win a single round the second half of the fight.. it was clearly 8-4 Loma with all the 33 record breaking low blows and all. Sometimes boxing is politics and on that night the guy in his second pro fight couldn’t possibly have a world belt.
                Pretty sure that Bob Arum put Lomachenko in their with Salido in an attempt to grab a belt of an aging past it name and it backfired.

If anything the politics would have been with Lomachenko in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  It's tough. A loss is irreverent. There's 25-30 boxers greater than Mayweather, Calzaghe, Marciano, Lopez, Moonsri, Ottke with multiple losses. There's plenty with early career losses to non world champions too that are far greater.

Mayweather is great so it's always difficult to predict if a guy will be better than a great fighter and a safe bet is often no since less fighters are all-time greats than merely excellent fighters. If he becomes an undisputed (or even majority unified) champion and beats one great fighter in his prime he'll have done two things Floyd never did and that's a good start and probably a more acceptable time to ask this question.
                  Floyd did both. Was lineal and Held 3 of 4 ww belts when he beat Manny and beat Hatton (will be HOF'er) and Corrales when they were prime, undefeated and in the top 5 p4p. Also beat Canelo when he was entering his prime.
                  Last edited by The Big Dunn; 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Floyd did both. Was lineal and Held 3 of 4 ww belts when he beat Manny and beat Hatton (will be HOF'er) and Corrales when they were prime, undefeated and in the top 5 p4p. Also beat Canelo when he was entering his prime.
                    a controversial win over 36 year old pac who went on to lose to jeff horn afterwards? i guess it sounds better your way but yeah that was lame. when jeff horn does the same as you...probably not something worth bragging over much. hatton, canelo, and corrales all times greats hmmmm

Comment

I think yes. Come on guys, loma is a super talent. Noone in boxing has his skills. His movements, footwork, convinations are so perfect!! He will be one of the best ever, in spite of his loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X