Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Vasyl Lomachenko ever become greater than Floyd Mayweather Jr with a loss?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
    anybody hear that don't like Lomo is a racist
    C'mon now, bro. Not everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
      The funny thing is Floyd didn't even do that, he went up multiple divisions (some of which he outgrew) but he didn't beat the best in those divisions. If you can tell me one fight where Floyd beat anyone 3 divisions north of his natural weight class who was in crawfords's or spence's hemisphere and in their primes then your argument has some merit, but otherwise you are setting up an all-time high expectation that by far would surpass what Floyd did in the ring.
      I wasn't implying Floyd did that. I was detailing what I thought Loma could do to be considered a top 20 ATG.

He did beat Castillo, Mosley, Manny, corrales, cotto and Canelo all when they were seen as the best (other than him) in those weight classes.

Canelo, Hatton and Corrales clearly occupy he same space as Spence, not necessarily Crawford, who is the top p4p in the world IMO. He did beat both Manny and Shane when they were top 3, but they obviously weren't as young as Crawford.

Canelo was also 3 weight classes above his natural weight and he shut him out.

Surpass Floyd? Floyd is 27-0 in title fights. Loma may not even make 27 career fights because he started so late. That is one reason why I said it would be hard to surpass Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
        You mother****ers act like salido was beating his ass all over the ring and knocked him out lmao...

That fight could have easily gone either way, just like Floyd-Castillo
        pretty much this. aside from not knowing how to deal with the fouls and rough tactics, he lacked the experience to pace himself properly for a tough 12 round fight. he finished strong, hurting salido...but probably coulda stepped on it a bit earlier and possibly got a stoppage.

Comment

sugar ray robinson has 185 losses and hes the goat 🐐. so a loss shouldn't matter that much. loma has the skills but what he lacks is the big name opponents, something floyd had an abundance of throughout his career.

Comment

He'd have to win all out from here and have some greater achievements under his belt.
            It's not impossible ........ I don't see it happening though.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
              Hey man im not saying Salido is as good as Castillo lmao, i'm just saying the Floyd-Castillo fight resembled the Salido-Lomachenko fight and both fights could have gone either way...
              those fights did not resemble each other at all.. salido/loma was foul filled throughout. both guys guilty. salido had low blows and loma was nonstop hugging. ref let both do whatever they pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I wasn't implying Floyd did that. I was detailing what I thought Loma could do to be considered a top 20 ATG.

He did beat Castillo, Mosley, Manny, corrales, cotto and Canelo all when they were seen as the best (other than him) in those weight classes.

Canelo, Hatton and Corrales clearly occupy he same space as Spence, not necessarily Crawford, who is the top p4p in the world IMO. He did beat both Manny and Shane when they were top 3, but they obviously weren't as young as Crawford.

Canelo was also 3 weight classes above his natural weight and he shut him out.

Surpass Floyd? Floyd is 27-0 in title fights. Loma may not even make 27 career fights because he started so late. That is one reason why I said it would be hard to surpass Floyd.
                Those are all good wins, but none of those other guys were really bigger than Floyd (except Canelo). And I would say that Paquio was smaller and a few years removed from his prime. He was still good but not as good as he was a few years back. As far as Saul, Floyd moved only 5 lbs up (not a full weight class) for Alvarez, considering he has been fighting as a welterweight for almost a decade, and Alvarez had to cut his weight to the lowest he's been in a couple of years. Floyd started in a smaller weight class and yes he moved up multiple divisions over the years but he outgrew those divisions since he entered into the professional ranks at a young age, he couldn't make weight vs. JMM and he was fighting as a welterweight post-2005.

Floyd has great wins on his resume but really only two guys had a size advantage on him (Delahoya and Alvarez) and it was 1 division size advantage at most.

At this time I will say that Lomachenko's resume is as good anyone's can be by fight 11, and if he keeps the same pace and beats 10 more fighters of GRJ, NW, RIGOs caliber between 130-140 he will be damn close to matching Floyd's resume with half the fights... That does mean beating Linares, Mikey, Easter and other fighters of similar status in those divisions. If he manages to beat Spence or Crawford at 147 then dare I say that his resume will surpass Floyds without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
                  Those are all good wins, but none of those other guys were really bigger than Floyd (except Canelo). And I would say that Paquio was smaller and a few years removed from his prime. He was still good but not as good as he was a few years back. As far as Saul, Floyd moved only 5 lbs up (not a full weight class) for Alvarez, considering he has been fighting as a welterweight for almost a decade, and Alvarez had to cut his weight to the lowest he's been in a couple of years. Floyd started in a smaller weight class and yes he moved up multiple divisions over the years but he outgrew those divisions since he entered into the professional ranks at a young age, he couldn't make weight vs. JMM and he was fighting as a welterweight post-2005.

Floyd has great wins on his resume but really only two guys had a size advantage on him (Delahoya and Alvarez) and it was 1 division size advantage at most.

At this time I will say that Lomachenko's resume is as good anyone's can be by fight 11, and if he keeps the same pace and beats 10 more fighters of GRJ, NW, RIGOs caliber between 130-140 he will be damn close to matching Floyd's resume with half the fights... That does mean beating Linares, Mikey, Easter and other fighters of similar status in those divisions. If he manages to beat Spence or Crawford at 147 then dare I say that his resume will surpass Floyds without a doubt.
                  floyd started at 135, 154 is 3 weight classes above that. You can't change the criteria.

He couldn't make 144, he had no problem making 147.

Castillo and Corrales were bigger, as was Cotto and Maidana. Come on dude.

I agree Loma has a good resume. But he is 30. You can't say for sure he will fight long enough to equal what Floyd did.

Huh?? come on dude you should be ashamed of yourself for even typing that, it's cool if you don't really like Floyd, but to devalue his resume like that is shameful.

This is what I meant by it depends on what type of poster you are. If you are going to artificially be overly critical of floyd's resume then the same will be done with Loma and no way he surpasses this.

I mean Walters and Russell are good, they aren't in the class of old Mosley or old Cotto.

Floyd is one of the 15-20 greatest that has ever fought IMO. It will be hard for Loma to reach that level starting out so late and the politics of the sport.
                  Last edited by The Big Dunn; 01-16-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Most great fighters have losses, unless you're just TBE and you're that damn good. Look at what Floyd had accomplished by the time he was 30 compared to Loma. Loma couldn't reach that level even if he was undefeated. There really is no reason Loma should even be compared to Floyd.

Comment

Humiliating fashion a close fight where he badly hurt the guy in the last round is humiliating?

He can do it but i don't think he will. It's about who you beat and how you perform, a close loss won’t take away from that in the end. Gervonta is undefeated with more fights but does anyone remotely think he can surpass Floyd? he's a talented fighter but don't even believe in himself to beat Loma so it's easy to troll about the loss but the guys who have to get in the ring with him aren't laughing, they've seen how good he is.
                      Last edited by Caught Square; 01-16-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X