Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do fans like humble fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its a sign of a complete human being who can interact with others successfully and comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
      A lot of people do, thus my post. I see it quite a lot.

Yeah, I guess. A lot of people loved Manny Pacquiao's humbleness after the Bradley and Horn robberies.

Comment

being humble or not can be just fighters playing a character. for how many years did ppl say manny was humble then turns out this mofo was cheating on his wife, paying hookers hush money and rolling with crooked politicians. then floyd plays the villain role and gets hated but he paid for the funeral of a fallen boxer. that's some humble sht to do. and in the aftermath of his fight with manny he is giving his opponent nonstop love and respect while manny refuses to return the favor.

this whole humble/brash sht is an illusion. we don't know these mofos behind the cameras. theres people that know mcgregor personally that say hes not really the way he portrays. but the sht works for him.

floyd portrays the nightlife and party life but you've never seen him out of shape, in drug rehab and he never takes an opponent lightly. isn't that humble?

de la hoya was marketed as the humble pretty boy all his career. but look at the sht he was into that was later exposed. promoters need guys to create an image that they can push. some fighters are willing to play along while others say fck all that and just focus on winning fights.

after the pacquiao/hatton fight someone from pacquiaos corner motions him to get on his knees and pray for the viewers. showing his whole image was fabricated. im not saying hes a horrible person but boxing is theater at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Every late night show and sit com did skits about his dichotomy of being a freakish beast with a squeaky voice and a lisp.
          Late night shows and comediac sitcoms rag on everybody though.

Ali was loved and In Living Color (highly repected in the black community) took it to Ali too in making fun of his condition. If someone did that today it might become a national incident. Comedy format in the 80's was open season on everything, very little filter.

Comment

Ali was loved and In Living Color (highly repected in the black community) took it to Ali too in making fun of his condition. If someone did that today it might become a national incident. Comedy format in the 80's was open season on everything, very little filter.

Nice one, I remember that show, too funny.

As for humble fighters, I always like them, can't say it's because of the goodguy/hero factor, I like villains too.

Maybe it's the bushido aspect of it.

Comment

Can those of you that agree with this explain why you think it's cool to be humble in Boxing?
              Because who would admit to being an Adrien Broner fan in public?

Comment

"Highly respected in the black community"? I forget which prominent black actress said, "The Wayans brothers set the black community back 50 years."
                I don't necessarily agree with their comment and I loved In Living Color, grew up on it, but you're not disproving my Mike Tyson comment with that one. He was most definitely more freak show than hero. That's not even debatable.

That's why he had the career resurrection. It was humanising the beast. Showing his tender side, his humor, his humanity. That's not the Mike Tyson of the 80's and 90's.

Comment

A lot of it depends on the type of person you are. But by and large, I'll just say that people generally respect those who show respect, and arrogance or ****iness can be simplified to being disrespectful. I don't agree with that sentiment, but it is what it is.

Comment

Because bragging your ass off is not cool. Confidence is good but Broner, Brook, Saunders and Khan type arrogant bragging is just annoying and it doesn't do a thing to help them win the fight. I prefer the more quiet but fearless boxers who let their fists do the talking when the first bell rings. Excessive pre fight bragging makes it seem like they are scared and trying to build themselves up.

Comment

If you back up the talk I like it. That's why I love Naseem Hamed who most hate. His ring entrances were spectacular but he also delivered. Plus, at the end of fights he paid respect to opponents and made no excuses after losing to Barrera.

The only fighters I don't like who talk big arethose who can't take losses. Lem, BHop.

Comment

Working...
                      X