FAO Deontay Wilder: Floyd's Shown You How to Make a Mega Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
    Why are the Brits so scared of Wilder?
    To be scared of someone you'd need to know they exist first.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
      Honestly, this point doesn't add anything to your argument. The tribalism and point scoring at the respective fanbases is juvenile and best left unsaid in my view.

See my post above to Scipio re Vegas sales.

You're comparing apples and oranges. The UK public had heard of all these fighters, they honestly barely know who the f*** Wilder is. That's one reason in my view behind Hearn's offer of Whyte as an opponent. He'd get back some of that 4mill in PPV fees for Joshua Wilder because that fight would introduce him to a UK audience. Something which has clearly failed in translation given the ludicrous response it drew Stateside.

Both those fights would be bigger at present in the UK than Wilder who has very little recognition outside engaged boxing fans. Fury by a massive margin. It's already established that AJ can make 10-15 in the UK and Haye would sell tickets as he's good at that even if his body is giving out. Fury shouldn't think of getting in a ring with AJ before 2019 but if he did it would be a huge fight.

Let's say AJ fights 3 times a year max. If Parker is next, he'll soon be looking at a mandatory, maybe Povetkin? He could fight winner of Haye Bellew in there somewhere as well. He will do very well from all those, probably clearing close to £50m staying at home, pleasing his sponsors, building his brand, adding another belt etc etc.

So again, the Wilder fight may be attractive, but AJ has plenty of other places to go if it doesn't come off to his liking. Wilder is the one with some tough decisions to make.
      We’re kinda going round in circles here. I agree AJ has options but none of them are as beneficial as fighting Wilder would be both financially and in terms of global appeal. The only fight comparable is Fury who is nowhere near fighting again. I also don’t buy into this no one knows who Wilder is in the UK, I believe it’s a smokescreen Hearn is using to prevent the fight. A lot of my friends are casual boxing fans and all know who Wilder is, he’s not some HUGE draw in the UK but he must attract a solid audience when he fights on sky sports or they wouldn’t keep purchasing his fights, he also attracts a high level of media attention whenever he’s in the UK. Just because he hasn’t fought here it doesn’t mean he isn’t known here. The exact same rhetoric could be used against AJ, as his viewing figures in the US are far from great.

The point you make about Floyd-Conor not selling out is irrelevant as it still produced the second highest gate revenue in boxing history, thereby proving Vegas is where the BIG money is. I’m not saying this fight HAS to happen in Vegas as it will make A LOT of money wherever it takes place. However, IF AJ/Hearn want to actually achieve what they say they do; make AJ the biggest star in WORLD boxing even world sport he has to break into the American market, and with the current lack of emerging talent on the US HW scene, Wilder is certainly his best chance to do so.
      Surely as a boxing fan, you want to see this fight ASAP instead of watching both tread water with the Brezeales and Whytes of this world.
      Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx... View Post
        Floyd and Oscar actually were already atg's and beat lots of other p4p fighters and other top champions...why are you comparing Joshua and Wilder to them??
        well ur putting obamer on the same level as Malcolm x... what did he do besides make everything gey?

Comment

Lol what mega fight has Floyd been in?

One could make a good case for Castillo and Oscar. Come to think of it I do trust Floyd more than Oscar most days of the week but when it came to fights Oscar was a man's man
          Last edited by maracho; 12-06-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
            well ur putting obamer on the same level as Malcolm x... what did he do besides make everything gey?
            And wasn't Malcolm a male prostitute ?

Comment

Originally posted by maracho View Post
              And wasn't Malcolm a male prostitute ?
              lol yeah I heard that but who knows, but that last president didn't stand for so called blacks they actually got worse under his rule.

Comment

Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
                lol yeah I heard that but who knows, but that last president didn't stand for so called blacks they actually got worse under his rule.
                Agreed, the abortion legality went way up and the great majority aborted were black kids. Then his buddy Eric Holder got caught lying about the fact that he actually owned an inner city abortion clinic

Oh and you know who Black Dems despise as much as the aborted? Black conservatives

And I bet it was them Dems that railed in all those government guns to Chicago gangs like they/Fast & Furious did with the Cartels

And then we got the black dems telling all these intelligent black folk that they didn't actually earn their college credit because it was the affirmative action. Why don't they step up to the plate without all the stupid substitutions and give them their 40 acres and a mule (equivalent to a $60,000 machine and $millions in land) that was taken away

Bottom line, black Dems are like all the other politicians just taking more pie to themselves
                Last edited by maracho; 12-14-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

To be scared of someone you'd need to know they exist first.
                  The British press knows who he is. That’s all they asked Joshua about was Wilder. It wasn’t Takam and it definitely wasn’t that scrub Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                    The British press knows who he is. That’s all they asked Joshua about was Wilder. It wasn’t Takam and it definitely wasn’t that scrub Parker.
                    Of course they do, it's their job to.

You're alleging however that British Joshua fans are terrified of Wilder and I'm saying most of them don't know wtf he is. They know Fury, they knew Klitschko, but Wilder's profile at present here is not in that league.

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                    he’s not some HUGE draw in the UK but he must attract a solid audience when he fights on sky sports or they wouldn’t keep purchasing his fights,
                    It's cheap programming for them I suspect, given the timezone and the current awarness, but there was next to no promotion for his last fight. A pity as I enjoyed the undercard even if Wilder Stiverne didn't end so abruptly.

The exact same rhetoric could be used against AJ, as his viewing figures in the US are far from great.
                    Of course, but, as above, AJ's doing very nicely without that recognition. The difference is that the US is Wilder's home market and he can't deliver that. AJ delivers his home market.

Surely as a boxing fan, you want to see this fight ASAP instead of watching both tread water with the Brezeales and Whytes of this world.
                    As a fan of boxing, sure, I'd like to see them fight. I don't see AJ as the main obstacle however, especially with Wilder demanding 50% of a pie he's done little to create.

I don't think AJ will be fighting Brezeale or Whyte though. He's shown he wants to keep on improving the standard of his opposition. He's risked more, sooner than Wilder and he's reaping the rewards for that.

Parker, maybe a mandatory against Povetkin or Pulev unless Wilder changes his tune will all be interesting fights for me, because there's still a rawness to Joshua due to his relative inexperience. Fury on the horizon could be the biggest of the lot. That wouldn't be treading water, although Hearn may throw a domestic crowd pleaser into that schedule to keep the cash registers ringing and keep AJ in shape at low risk. In which case, yes, Wilder would be a better bout. But he's overstating his importance at present. He's done little to merit some of the hype from his own and other quarters and he's not the only show in town.

Comment

Of course they do, it's their job to.

You're alleging however that British Joshua fans are terrified of Wilder and I'm saying most of them don't know wtf he is. They know Fury, they knew Klitschko, but Wilder's profile at present here is not in that league.

It's cheap programming for them I suspect, given the timezone and the current awarness, but there was next to no promotion for his last fight. A pity as I enjoyed the undercard even if Wilder Stiverne didn't end so abruptly.

Of course, but, as above, AJ's doing very nicely without that recognition. The difference is that the US is Wilder's home market and he can't deliver that. AJ delivers his home market.

As a fan of boxing, sure, I'd like to see them fight. I don't see AJ as the main obstacle however, especially with Wilder demanding 50% of a pie he's done little to create.

I don't think AJ will be fighting Brezeale or Whyte though. He's shown he wants to keep on improving the standard of his opposition. He's risked more, sooner than Wilder and he's reaping the rewards for that.

Parker, maybe a mandatory against Povetkin or Pulev unless Wilder changes his tune will all be interesting fights for me, because there's still a rawness to Joshua due to his relative inexperience. Fury on the horizon could be the biggest of the lot. That wouldn't be treading water, although Hearn may throw a domestic crowd pleaser into that schedule to keep the cash registers ringing and keep AJ in shape at low risk. In which case, yes, Wilder would be a better bout. But he's overstating his importance at present. He's done little to merit some of the hype from his own and other quarters and he's not the only show in town.

That’s their job is your excuse? So nobody over there in Britain is reading the British press then since nobody knows who Wilder is right? Give me a damn break.

Comment

Working...
                      X