FAO Deontay Wilder: Floyd's Shown You How to Make a Mega Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
    ???????????????????????????
    Wilder is the one chasing this fight IMO, I don’t necessarily know if he wins it, as I think it’s a 50/50 shootout type fight. Anyway, Wilder clearly wants this fight and AJ wants it too, it’s people outside of the ring preventing it, especially Hearn.
    Chasing the fight would be asking for the less than he's worth. If he was asking for 25% then I would agree he's chasing the fight. 50% is pricing yourself out.

Comment

The only thing that makes Joshua vs Wilder potentially big, is that they are both unbeaten HWs. However, while Joshua is good and may be the next big unified HW champ, his biggest win is an aging old champ in Klitschko. Wilder is a well-protected bum whose time to be exposed simply hasn't come yet. His biggest win is...is....yeah, I got nothing. At this point, their fight can't hold a lit straw to Floyd vs Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
        I have clarified this in other posts. The point is comparing their careers. Merely that Oscar's and Floyd's commercial power was much closer than AJ's and Deontay's but Floyd only took 33% of the final pot.
        quite laughable actually

ODH at that point was leagues and bounds higher than Floyd. Yes floyd had some good names etc but ODH was already in a super fight with tito and had some much, much memorable names on his resume at the time compared to floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
          You're underestimating the effectiveness of the brand building job achieved by Matchroom and Team Joshua.

Presuming he takes care of Parker AJ can leave a flat cash offer on the table to Wilder and then make serious money fighting a combination of suitably hyped mandatory defences and perhaps some manufactured domestic clashes, Whyte 2 say or Haye if he shows well against Bellew. In the distance could be Fury who on this side of the Atlantic would make a much more lucrative opponent. That's 2 years or more of big earning supplemented by extensive extra ring income from the growing list of endorsements AJ is landing.

In the meantime Wilder is getting older, risking his belt for 1.5m a time and seemingly failing to cut through to an increasingly jaded US audience who don't seem to have taken him to their hearts.

There's a big imbalance between the two. As you say, Wilder needs AJ for a big payday, but whilst AJ wants the belt, undisputed title and greater US exposure, he has a pretty good pathway carved out should that option not deliver him what he thinks he's worth. So Deontay has some thinking to do...
          You're forgetting that the bulk of the money for Wilder-Joshua is coming from the U.S. UK PPV buys at $20 are a fraction of what you get in the U.S. And 90,000 people in a stadium is great, but at around $9M, the live gate is less than what you'd get from a Vegas fight.

Right now AJ means next to nothing in the U.S. Wilder isn't a superstar yet either. Sounds like an even split to me.

And don't think UK fans aren't getting tired of paying PPVs for less than A+ Joshua fights. The Martin, Molina, Breazeale and Takam fights were all PPV, and the UK market is already grumbling. There won't be much patience for AJ milking more PPV $ out of the UK audience without taking on top opponents.

Comment

He’s simply posturing for the fight, the same way AJ/Hearn do when they ask for 80/20 to AJ. People take these statements to the media well to literally.
            They didn't ask for 80/20, the thread title was fake to grab your attention, didn't you read the opening post?

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
              Chasing the fight would be asking for the less than he's worth. If he was asking for 25% then I would agree he's chasing the fight. 50% is pricing yourself out.
              No he’s chasing the fight by demanding it happens next. Whilst Hearn is saying it has to happen at some point not next. AJ/Hearn is asking for a more one sided split in their favour, by your logic he/they must be pricing themselves out as well.
              As I’ve previously explained both are posturing, it’s all part of the negotiation process, the same thing happened with May-Pac for years, Floyd wanted 70-30, Pac wanted 50-50, eventually they met in the middle and the fight got made. The same needs to happen here
              Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 12-05-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                They didn't ask for 80/20, the thread title was fake to grab your attention, didn't you read the opening post?
                Nah I didn’t read it😂😂😂 my bad.
                Nevertheless the likes of Hearn and other Sky minions have been saying AJ should receive around that mark. On the other hand I’ve seen AJ say he’s willing to negotiate. It’s mainly Hearn who has this hardline stance that Wilder should take a low percentage, I honestly feel around 60/40 in favour of AJ with maybe a mark up on UK revenue is very fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Floyd Mayweather Jr made a billion dollars in the boxing ring; from the Cornish fight on (not really sure when Anthony Joshua stepped to being the main event of the show) he's likely closer to that £100m mark than folks realize already.

The heat of the UK boxing scene is fun to watch, but Anthony Joshua has the potential to be the second billion dollar boxer and he's not going to be able to achieve that by not breaking through in the US market.

If the Joshua-Wilder (or Wilder-Joshua, who honestly cares) fights play out right (two barnburner skilled slugfests), Anthony Joshua could literally end up on something near $100m per fight until his run ends.

You don't get anywhere near that with Fury, Haye, or any other non-Wilder name you want to put out there (would withhold judgement on a Wladimir rematch, but even that may not have the juice to launch, with Klitschko being an aged fighter).
                  Ok, the only problem is that two letter word 'if' there are a lot of 'ifs' to cross before this fight delivers anything like the expectations some are saddling it with. I won't repeat them, they're outlined in this post:

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...4&postcount=10

Another point for those singing of the riches of Vegas. I don't know if you followed the ticket sales for Mayweather McGregor? They were slower than Bermane Stiverne and this on such a heavily hyped contest with Vegas' own making a comeback and the UFC crowd enticed by the novelty aspect. Both guys having bigger profiles in the US than either Joshua or Wilder.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think it's as straightforward a sell as many suggest and no-one seems to factor in the opportunity cost of siting the fight there...

Comment

I agree about the tribalism, I don’t really have a horse in the race myself, but I think it’s glaringly obvious the majority of AJ fans are casual based,
                    Honestly, this point doesn't add anything to your argument. The tribalism and point scoring at the respective fanbases is juvenile and best left unsaid in my view.

The gate in Vegas is waaay bigger than the gate in Wembley due to insanely inflated ticket prices. I think if it happens in either it’ll still draw numbers in the US. But from my perspective it’s better suited taking place in Vegas to be as you say conductive with US PPV.
                    See my post above to Scipio re Vegas sales.

I don’t think the UK market will suffer all that much, Mayweather-Hatton still did massive UK numbers and Floyd-Conor is the highest selling UK PPV of all time.
                    You're comparing apples and oranges. The UK public had heard of all these fighters, they honestly barely know who the f*** Wilder is. That's one reason in my view behind Hearn's offer of Whyte as an opponent. He'd get back some of that 4mill in PPV fees for Joshua Wilder because that fight would introduce him to a UK audience. Something which has clearly failed in translation given the ludicrous response it drew Stateside.

As for Haye and Fury I don’t really think they’re feasible fights for 2018. That’s why I think if AJ wants to have a super fight in 2018 he has to fight Wilder.
                    Both those fights would be bigger at present in the UK than Wilder who has very little recognition outside engaged boxing fans. Fury by a massive margin. It's already established that AJ can make 10-15 in the UK and Haye would sell tickets as he's good at that even if his body is giving out. Fury shouldn't think of getting in a ring with AJ before 2019 but if he did it would be a huge fight.

Let's say AJ fights 3 times a year max. If Parker is next, he'll soon be looking at a mandatory, maybe Povetkin? He could fight winner of Haye Bellew in there somewhere as well. He will do very well from all those, probably clearing close to £50m staying at home, pleasing his sponsors, building his brand, adding another belt etc etc.

So again, the Wilder fight may be attractive, but AJ has plenty of other places to go if it doesn't come off to his liking. Wilder is the one with some tough decisions to make.

Comment

Why are the Brits so scared of Wilder?
                      Last edited by Outwest Exp 355; 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X