Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Haye making 'slow and steady' recovery from bicep surgery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Travycat View Post
    Wow...she's 37 now? I remember when she was saying she was going to retire at 30. Time flies.
    In some way he did retire from boxing at 30.

He turned 30 in October 2011. Since then, he had one real fight (against Chisora) and it all started as a street fight.

He beat up two cans in 2016 and injured himself in the Haye match.

Looking back, his career basically ended when he was 30, although the Chisora win is quite solid.

Maybe he cursed himself with that statement.

Comment

I've never really been sold on Chisora. I just went and looked, and Haye was his 4th loss in only 19 fights. And you can argue that the level of the opposition in those 4 fights was pretty great, but things like that he was beaten by a 41 year old Vitali Klitschko who was fighting with one arm from the 3rd round on and couldn't even jab because he tore his shoulder and still won almost every single round, takes a little bit of the luster off for me. Or that he's only 33 now losing to somewhat unknowns with only 16 fights. I've always sort of saw him as a durable journeyman--somewhat like a Takam, only I find Takam more skilled. I'll give you that, in Haye's win being pretty impressive over him; someone putting him down like that. But overall, he's (Chisora) a tough sell for me, personally, as anything great. Haye wasted his prime years ducking fights and trying to put legs on a snake, thinking he could Shannon Briggs it working his way up the ranks fighting the cans you mentioned. Came back to bite him in the arse, as they say over there. He was afraid of failure after that Klitschko loss. And now no one wants to fight him because he's more of a has been, or an even what could've been, I suppose. Not relevant.
      Originally posted by RedZmaja View Post
      In some way he did retire from boxing at 30.

He turned 30 in October 2011. Since then, he had one real fight (against Chisora) and it all started as a street fight.

He beat up two cans in 2016 and injured himself in the Haye match.

Looking back, his career basically ended when he was 30, although the Chisora win is quite solid.

Maybe he cursed himself with that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Travycat View Post
        Haye wasted his prime years ducking fights and trying to put legs on a snake, thinking he could Shannon Briggs it working his way up the ranks fighting the cans you mentioned.
        He was always like this though, at least since he was a heavyweight. After he beat Mormeck he became big enough in Britain to be a draw no matter who he fought at HW. That's why his weird fights with Valuev and Audley Harrison sold. He knew how to promote this kind of fights, his fights against Chisora and Bellew sold big too.

I think that's the main reason why he was "wasting" those years, he knew that he didn't need to fight killers to make money. He fought Klitschko because that was a high reward type of fight but that's about it.

His career would have been better legacy wise if he focused on cruiserweight, but he wouldn't have made that much money. I think him vs the likes of Huck and Lebedev around 2010-12 would have been legendary from the hardcore boxing fan perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
          I wonder if it was really a torn bicep and NFL player gets a torn bicep in pre-season he's out for the entire year playing here that is so that's
          Min 7 months counting spring training...
          yea I said the same thing about wilder when he got a 'torn bicep". I was framing a house fell about 10' on a 2x4 wall where the double 2x4 plate ended up in my armpit cause I grabbed the will to stop the fall. the corner of the wood ripped my bicep in half and cracked some ribs. when I made a muscle it would collapse then after a while it would act normal but be two lumps instead of one muscle. took years before I got full strength back and a lot of pain

Comment

He was always like this though, at least since he was a heavyweight. After he beat Mormeck he became big enough in Britain to be a draw no matter who he fought at HW. That's why his weird fights with Valuev and Audley Harrison sold. He knew how to promote this kind of fights, his fights against Chisora and Bellew sold big too.

I think that's the main reason why he was "wasting" those years, he knew that he didn't need to fight killers to make money. He fought Klitschko because that was a high reward type of fight but that's about it.

His career would have been better legacy wise if he focused on cruiserweight, but he wouldn't have made that much money. I think him vs the likes of Huck and Lebedev around 2010-12 would have been legendary from the hardcore boxing fan perspective.
            I agree, Haye definetly followed Mayweather's "most money for the least amount of effort" path

It's a shame because he was one of the most skilled heavies in recent times, no doubt. Punks like Wilder and Joshua cant even compare to him in that dept

Haye would have probably beaten Wlad if it wasn't for the huge size difference

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
              I agree, Haye definetly followed Mayweather's "most money for the least amount of effort" path
              Yeah but let's face it, Floyd put in much more work before he started getting those money fights. Haye became a star after his first notable win. Floyd had a pretty legit resume before the Gatti fight.

Also even when Floyd was already a huge star he faced a lot of legitimate contenders that weren't exactly big names but he still fought them. Guys like Guerrero, Maidana... Those were still better names than the likes of Harrison and the old Ruiz. Haye only fought either big names or total bums, and he didn't fight as often as Floyd did.

I think if Floyd was in Haye's position he would have avoided Wlad for the time being and try to build up the fight with him later when Wlad would get older. But in the meantime he would have tried to clean out the cruiserweight division and he would have faced better names at heavyweight too. He would try to protect the 0 more but otherwise generally face better competition.
              Last edited by RedZmaja; 11-29-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Well at least his toe has healed properly.

Comment

I honestly liked the Valuev fight. He rocked him pretty good in the final round. Thought the big man could've potentially won the fight, though. There's an old Bobby De Niro quote that I love which is, "I had to decide early on whether I was to be an actor or a personality." Same applies to boxing...Haye chose to be a personality. Have to be true to what you're doing. He wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X