No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn's first U.S. card drew 6,921 in attendance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
    Hearn has no chance of making BJS-Jacobs in the US. And if Lemieux was to win it'd be De La Hoya promoting Lemieux-Jacobs. Not Hearn.
    Hearn doesn't seem have a clue about good matchmaking but he ain't stupid business wise. He's not just gonna pay huge purses so Jacobs can attract guys like BJS and Lemieux, just so he can get a small network fee of HBO and 6K tickets sold. Jacobs ain't a draw there's no money in him in the U.S. The fact that Hearn is basing this US venture around Jacobs is laughable.
    Hearn isn't exclusive to HBO, but no other U.S network are gonna take him on, there's not enough dates for Haymon alone on Sho, and Arum has an exclusive deal on ESPN. Hearn's just another one of these second rate promoters that HBO have picked up because they don't have the budget to cater for the the top promoters like Arum etc.
    He has many up and coming fighters, really? Like who? Kelly, maybe Cordina and Buatsi are the only two who are gonna be capable of having any sort of impact at world level. Guys like Fowler and especially Okollie are nothing. And don't even get me started on the likes of Conor Benn������ Nobody is gonna want to watch any of these guys in the US.
    Yafai, fair enough there are some good fights for him at 115, but is he really gonna win any of them? Guys like Inoue and SSR eat this guy alive, if Roman just has half of what he once did, I'd still pick him to beat Yafai. And on top of this virtually no one cares about Yafai in the US, he ain't even a draw in the UK.
    The only major assett Hearn has is AJ, but even he isn't a draw in the U.S, does he have potential to draw in the US, probably, but to do so he'll need to have a major fight that will draw numbers in the U.S. The only fight that will do this is the Wilder fight. And we all know Hearn doesn't want to make that!
    At the end of the day Hearn is nothing in US boxing, and putting on 4 mediocre cards a year ain't gonna change that.
    We shall see regarding BJS and Jacobs, no way Lemioux beats Saunders any way, so that fight is real possibility. World title fight at the Barclays Centre, with an actual promotional team working in the U.S, Sky and HBO picking up the fight, marketed as the winner goes on to fight the GGG/Canelo winner.....that would be big.

Jacobs isn't a draw because he has not been promoted properly, which is what Hearn is doing now, he knows how to promote a fighter.

You just named numerous guys that each have to fight 4/5 times per year. Even if he only has one per show, 4 next year, 8 the year after etc etc he still has enough fighters to be good undercard fighters and get the U.S exposure.

AJ isn't a draw in the U.S....yet. This is what Americans fail to understand. You go on about "this guy isn't a draw" "we only follow and get behind PPV fighters" blah blah blah

There's a reason why your fighters are unknowns and that's because they haven't been promoted properly. They win world titles and disappear or go inactive, it's killing boxing in the country because fans only turn out for the very biggest names, not because you only like winners (Crawford and Ward were and still smalltime), it's because you don't have good promoters in the country and you have too many networks and fighters don't fight enough.

After one fight Jacobs is already being talked about and will be in Montreal for the Saunders/Lemioux fight, to call out the winner.

I guarantee Hearn can make the Saunders fight, it just means Jacobs takes a small cut. You have to invest in any new business.

I dont know why you don't want boxing to be a big sport in your country, and fighters to be fighting regularly and garner attention? is it a nationalistic thing? are you happy boxing gets no attention in your country apart from the big fights?
    Last edited by Vinnykin; 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM. Reason: missed a word out

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
      We shall see regarding BJS and Jacobs, no way Lemioux beats Saunders any way, so that fight is real possibility. World title fight at the Barclays Centre, with an actual promotional team working in the U.S, Sky and HBO picking up the fight, marketed as the winner goes on to fight the GGG/Canelo winner.....that would be big.

Jacobs isn't a draw because he has not been promoted properly, which is what Hearn is doing now, he knows how to promote a fighter.

You just named numerous guys that each have to fight 4/5 times per year. Even if he only has one per show, 4 next year, 8 the year after etc etc he still has enough fighters to be good undercard fighters and get the U.S exposure.

AJ isn't a draw in the U.S....yet. This is what Americans fail to understand. You go on about "this guy isn't a draw" "we only follow and get behind PPV fighters" blah blah blah

There's a reason why your fighters are unknowns and that's because they haven't been promoted properly. They win world titles and disappear or go inactive, it's killing boxing in the country because fans only turn out for the very biggest names, not because you only like winners (Crawford and Ward were and still smalltime), it's because you don't have good promoters in the country and you have too many networks and fighters don't fight enough.

After one fight Jacobs is already being talked about and will be in Montreal for the Saunders/Lemioux fight, to call out the winner.

I guarantee Hearn can make the Saunders fight, it just means Jacobs takes a small cut. You have to invest in any new business.

I dont know why you don't want boxing to be a big sport in your country, and fighters to be fighting regularly and garner attention? is it a nationalistic thing? are you happy boxing gets no attention in your country apart from the big fights?
      First off I'm from the UK, I've told you this before.
      Secondly, your misguided loyalty towards Hearn is clouding your judgement. If you think Hearn has been good for British boxing, you really don't understand what the sport is all about. As I said before go and actually speak to guys like Goodwin, Hobson, Hatton. Real boxing men. And they'll tell you exactly what Hearn is.
      Jacobs-Quillin was a way bigger fight than Jacobs-BJS would be, and that fight meant nothing, you really need to wake up to this Hearn BS man.
      This is the problem with boxing in the UK atm, people are matchroom fans instead of boxing fans. Hearn doesn't give a **** about boxing, the guys a scumbag who lucked into his position at Sky. Now he's playing with the big boys he'll be exposed for his numerous flaws. All the real boxing fans see straight through Hearn. I actually feel sorry for the people who don't

Comment

First off I'm from the UK, I've told you this before.
        Secondly, your misguided loyalty towards Hearn is clouding your judgement. If you think Hearn has been good for British boxing, you really don't understand what the sport is all about. As I said before go and actually speak to guys like Goodwin, Hobson, Hatton. Real boxing men. And they'll tell you exactly what Hearn is.
        Jacobs-Quillin was a way bigger fight than Jacobs-BJS would be, and that fight meant nothing, you really need to wake up to this Hearn BS man.
        This is the problem with boxing in the UK atm, people are matchroom fans instead of boxing fans. Hearn doesn't give a **** about boxing, the guys a scumbag who lucked into his position at Sky. Now he's playing with the big boys he'll be exposed for his numerous flaws. All the real boxing fans see straight through Hearn. I actually feel sorry for the people who don't
        I have no loyalty to Hearn, it's just people like you assume these things because I defend him and believe he has made boxing popular again.

I'll tell you how loyal I am to Hearn - I don't have Sky, I have BT Sports, I've also never bought a Sky PPV card. I have been critical of him in the past, and will in the future, but there's no denying he has put boxing back on the map and puts on massive events that have people around the world talking. Without Hearn and Sky, Joshua would never have been able to buy that title, or fill out Wembley against Klitschko, in that sense he has been good....that is undeniable from everyone apart from haters.

I wish him every success in the U.S, because that's just who I am, I like to see people doing well in boxing, I want to see boxing become popular in the U.S again and I hope he can promote some of these fighters well and get them as popular as a U.K fighter would be.

Comment

I have no loyalty to Hearn, it's just people like you assume these things because I defend him and believe he has made boxing popular again.

I'll tell you how loyal I am to Hearn - I don't have Sky, I have BT Sports, I've also never bought a Sky PPV card. I have been critical of him in the past, and will in the future, but there's no denying he has put boxing back on the map and puts on massive events that have people around the world talking. Without Hearn and Sky, Joshua would never have been able to buy that title, or fill out Wembley against Klitschko, in that sense he has been good....that is undeniable from everyone apart from haters.

I wish him every success in the U.S, because that's just who I am, I like to see people doing well in boxing, I want to see boxing become popular in the U.S again and I hope he can promote some of these fighters well and get them as popular as a U.K fighter would be.
          Well if Hearn is creating all these great events, why aren't you buying them? Maybe it's because they're ****, and full of mismatches. I don't want to see big "events" I want good FIGHTS. This "big event" BS is pathetic!😂😂
          Do you remember boxing in the U.K. in the 90's? It was way bigger and way better than it was nowadays, the only people that think Hearn has improved boxing are his idiot cult like fans who don't have a clue about this sport.
          I like to see good people do well, not an arrogant egomaniac like Hearn, I can't wait to see him chewed up and spat out in the USA.
          That whole piece you just wrote is exactly what Hearn says to try and justify himself in them stupid IFL interviews, you really need to wake up to this Hearn BS. Any logical boxing fan can see through it.

Comment

Well if Hearn is creating all these great events, why aren't you buying them? Maybe it's because they're ****, and full of mismatches. I don't want to see big "events" I want good FIGHTS. This "big event" BS is pathetic!����
            Do you remember boxing in the U.K. in the 90's? It was way bigger and way better than it was nowadays, the only people that think Hearn has improved boxing are his idiot cult like fans who don't have a clue about this sport.
            I like to see good people do well, not an arrogant egomaniac like Hearn, I can't wait to see him chewed up and spat out in the USA.
            That whole piece you just wrote is exactly what Hearn says to try and justify himself in them stupid IFL interviews, you really need to wake up to this Hearn BS. Any logical boxing fan can see through it.
            It's because I watch them at friends houses, or the pub. This proves that boxing is popular again, the last time we got boxing events was for David Haye and Klitschko as I'm the only big boxing fan in the group.

Have you been out for an AJ fight before? watched it in a bar, it's a great event, whether you think the cards are good or not, that only comes after the fact. How could any one predict so many pull-outs for the Takam fight, and Whyte/Helenius being absolute ****? If the Whyte fight was a 12 round war and AJ punched Takam through the ropes instead of the ref stoppage everyone would be saying it was a good night, both things NOT in Hearns control, you can only put a card together and hope the fighters perform and the fights are good.

Imagine what people would have said about The Molina card if Whyte and Chisora wasnt a FOTY contender, imagine it was like Whyte/Helenius......you see my point?

It's easy to criticise but Hearn is giving these guys platforms to perform in massive events, some come off, some don't.

If you seriously remember the 90's as I do, you will not just look back with rose-tinted glasses and think boxing was much better. Everything was better in the 90's! according to everyone who grew up in the 90's lol

Could we get ATG's over and fill out Wembley? Could we compete with what was going on in America? no, we couldn't, and most of the fights were hit or miss just like today, it's just people tend to forget the bad fights and only remember the good ones, the ones that are on Youtube to this day, you're not going to find the bad ones.

Boxing was in a bad place as of 6 years ago in the U.K, that all changed.

Comment

It's because I watch them at friends houses, or the pub. This proves that boxing is popular again, the last time we got boxing events was for David Haye and Klitschko as I'm the only big boxing fan in the group.

Have you been out for an AJ fight before? watched it in a bar, it's a great event, whether you think the cards are good or not, that only comes after the fact. How could any one predict so many pull-outs for the Takam fight, and Whyte/Helenius being absolute ****? If the Whyte fight was a 12 round war and AJ punched Takam through the ropes instead of the ref stoppage everyone would be saying it was a good night, both things NOT in Hearns control, you can only put a card together and hope the fighters perform and the fights are good.

Imagine what people would have said about The Molina card if Whyte and Chisora wasnt a FOTY contender, imagine it was like Whyte/Helenius......you see my point?

It's easy to criticise but Hearn is giving these guys platforms to perform in massive events, some come off, some don't.

If you seriously remember the 90's as I do, you will not just look back with rose-tinted glasses and think boxing was much better. Everything was better in the 90's! according to everyone who grew up in the 90's lol

Could we get ATG's over and fill out Wembley? Could we compete with what was going on in America? no, we couldn't, and most of the fights were hit or miss just like today, it's just people tend to forget the bad fights and only remember the good ones, the ones that are on Youtube to this day, you're not going to find the bad ones.

Boxing was in a bad place as of 6 years ago in the U.K, that all changed.
              Your not getting the point. Every AJ card has been poor IMO, I'm not saying people don't want to watch them cause casual fans who don't understand the true meaning of the sport do. But real fans see through these poor quality mismatches.
              Your saying boxing was in a bad place back in 2011, it was better than now IMO. Why? Cause we consistently got competitive matches. We don't get that anymore. We had 4 promoters operating on Sky and unbiased coverage we don't get that anymore. Essentially every matchroom card has been woeful this year, because they don't make competitive matches. I'd much rather watch say Leather vs Foot from last week. Than these olympians beating guys they wouldn't hire as sparring partners. Who cares about how many people are there? It's about the 2 men in the ring!!!!!
              And I HATE all this "big event" BS, boxing is a SPORT it's about COMPETITION. I remember Hearn ****ting all over Mayweather-Pacquiao and Klitschko-Haye for not delivering, but when Hearn consistently puts on these ****ty cards, it's ok cause it's a "big event". It's utter BS. All these idiots turn up snort coke and sing sweet Caroline it's ****ing pathetic! None of them know anything about the sport. I've been going to shows for over 20 years and I've never seen something so pathetic.
              I cannot comprehend why any real boxing fan could support Hearn. The man is a cancer to British boxing, he doesn't give a **** about boxing or boxing fans.
              People love to slate Frank Warren but at least he cares about the sport.
              People talk like Hearn is some sort of good promoter, who exactly has he made into a star aside from AJ an Olympic HW champion. He's just a ****ing mouthpiece who continuously makes bad matches and second rate PPV's.
              As I said speak to REAL boxing people they'll tell you exactly what Hearn is.
              Hearn is a first class C*NT and any idiot that supports him is too.
              Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 11-16-2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Your not getting the point. Every AJ card has been poor IMO, I'm not saying people don't want to watch them cause casual fans who don't understand the true meaning of the sport do. But real fans see through these poor quality mismatches.
                Your saying boxing was in a bad place back in 2011, it was better than now IMO. Why? Cause we consistently got competitive matches. We don't get that anymore. We had 4 promoters operating on Sky and unbiased coverage we don't get that anymore. Essentially every matchroom card has been woeful this year, because they don't make competitive matches. I'd much rather watch say Leather vs Foot from last week. Than these olympians beating guys they wouldn't hire as sparring partners. Who cares about how many people are there? It's about the 2 men in the ring!!!!!
                And I HATE all this "big event" BS, boxing is a SPORT it's about COMPETITION. I remember Hearn ****ting all over Mayweather-Pacquiao and Klitschko-Haye for not delivering, but when Hearn consistently puts on these ****ty cards, it's ok cause it's a "big event". It's utter BS. All these idiots turn up snort coke and sing sweet Caroline it's ****ing pathetic! None of them know anything about the sport. I've been going to shows for over 20 years and I've never seen something so pathetic.
                I cannot comprehend why any real boxing fan could support Hearn. The man is a cancer to British boxing, he doesn't give a **** about boxing or boxing fans.
                People love to slate Frank Warren but at least he cares about the sport.
                People talk like Hearn is some sort of good promoter, who exactly has he made into a star aside from AJ an Olympic HW champion. He's just a ****ing mouthpiece who continuously makes bad matches and second rate PPV's.
                As I said speak to REAL boxing people they'll tell you exactly what Hearn is.
                Hearn is a first class C*NT and any idiot that supports him is too.
                I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I think Hearn is starting to realise this as well - that his guys need to step up and be in competitive fights, especially with Warren and Mcguigan putting on competitive fights now and testing their fighters. I expect to see more of this.

The best card I've watched this year has been Taylor/Vasquez as all the guys had tough fights.

But Hearn is where the money is and he can make some big fights this year. I'm looking forward to it any way. I personally think it's been a great year for boxing and that next year will be even better.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I think Hearn is starting to realise this as well - that his guys need to step up and be in competitive fights, especially with Warren and Mcguigan putting on competitive fights now and testing their fighters. I expect to see more of this.

The best card I've watched this year has been Taylor/Vasquez as all the guys had tough fights.

But Hearn is where the money is and he can make some big fights this year. I'm looking forward to it any way. I personally think it's been a great year for boxing and that next year will be even better.
                  Fair enough man, Hearn has made some big fights, I'll give him that, but the overall quality of his cards have been terrible IMO, especially the non PPV cards.

Comment

Fair enough man, Hearn has made some big fights, I'll give him that, but the overall quality of his cards have been terrible IMO, especially the non PPV cards.
                    Good to end this on a slight agreement any way, at the end of the day, we both want big and competitive fights.

Sky-non-ppv are not worth a damn, and that's why I go with BT and Mcguigan/ch5 over sky. It's this reason why I think Hearn realises he can't do what he done before, not when Warren has Frampton, De Gale and BJS cards coming up for FA, and Taylor (I'm bias as a Scot) making big waves in his 11th fight. As a boxing fan I'm happy I get all three, despite not aying for Sky or the PPV.....just loads of boxing and prospects right now!

Comment

Good to end this on a slight agreement any way, at the end of the day, we both want big and competitive fights.

Sky-non-ppv are not worth a damn, and that's why I go with BT and Mcguigan/ch5 over sky. It's this reason why I think Hearn realises he can't do what he done before, not when Warren has Frampton, De Gale and BJS cards coming up for FA, and Taylor (I'm bias as a Scot) making big waves in his 11th fight. As a boxing fan I'm happy I get all three, despite not aying for Sky or the PPV.....just loads of boxing and prospects right now!
                      Taylor is a beast, I see similarities to Spence in him. I really rate him. Me and my mate even travelled up to Glasgow to watch the Ohara fight. The atmosphere was mental as well. Best show I've been to in a while tbh

Comment

Working...
                      X