Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Abraham stayed at 160, does he break Hopkins' MW record?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
    I was unaware of that!
    I just tried googling it but I couldn't find it. I could've sworn that this happened...

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      Don't remember hearing about that, source? I do remember Miranda having to be hospitalized or something about him passing out and him having to move up but not Abraham.
      I just tried googling it but couldn't find anything. I'm wondering now if I'm mistaken. I could swear that it happened but maybe it was Miranda and not Abraham..?

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        I just tried googling it but I couldn't find it. I could've sworn that this happened...
        I'm not saying it didn't, I know he had a hard time making 160. It's just the guys at 168 were better equipped physically to handle him. Something I fear may happen to Canelo at 160.

Comment

How does his career play out if he just played it safe, didn't take any chances and not chase greatness like certain other fighters we've seen recently?

At the time he was 30-0, 24 KO's, he already made 10 successful title defenses at MW (4th all time)

He was folding up guys left and right, serious 1 punch power and an iron chin.

Other guys were moving up, Hopkins and Taylor also sought to challenge themselves and moved up. The division was much weaker after they left, he could've stayed and feasted on weak fighters but followed.

Pavlik was his main threat although even he took a massive risk fighting Hopkins at LHW in 2008 and was never the same.

Martinez wouldn't come a long for a few more years after a career at 154, he did beat Pavlik in a very tough fight but I'm not sure that Pavlik was as good as the pre-Hopkins version.

Do you think he breaks it? Or caps off just below? He could've easily racked up a couple more defenses.
          AA moved up to 168 because he couldn't make 160 any more. It had nothing to do with chasing greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
            AA moved up to 168 because he couldn't make 160 any more. It had nothing to do with chasing greatness.
            Source? From the weights he consistently made it to .5lb below the 160lb limit.

Comment

You forgot to mention he went 8 rounds with a severely broken jaw against Miranda. He overcame the odds unlike erm, certain other fighters that never challenge themselves.

Taylor was still a fine fighter, he punched himself out the 1st time against Pavik and managed to go the distance with him in the rematch.

At 30+, years past his prime and numerous losses he was still able to defeat an elite middleweight Martin Murray. A top 5 win the on the current middleweight champion's resume.
              Martin Murray is an elite MW? Tell that to the GGG haters, LOL.

Abraham was tough, and he was durable, but certainly not elite level competition.

Comment

Source? From the weights he consistently made it to .5lb below the 160lb limit.
                I remember reading about it at the time. Here's the first link I clicked on.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2009/6/2...oving-to-super

"According to Bild.de (link in German), Arthur Abraham's fight against Mahir Oral next week will be Arthur Abraham's last at middleweight. Despite being a bit on the short side, Abraham has long had problems with making the 160 pound middleweight limit, and without a big fight at middleweight in immediate sight, he plans on moving to super middleweight, which is a much stronger weight class overall with more opportunities for big name fights."

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                  I just tried googling it but couldn't find anything. I'm wondering now if I'm mistaken. I could swear that it happened but maybe it was Miranda and not Abraham..?
                  http://www.rp-online.de/sport/boxen/...-aid-1.1640563

Thats the only thing I could find.
                  After the weigh-in for the Raul Marquez fight, he got sick overnight with fever, but it doesnt say if it was due to weight problems.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
                    http://www.rp-online.de/sport/boxen/...-aid-1.1640563

Thats the only thing I could find.
                    After the weigh-in for the Raul Marquez fight, he got sick overnight with fever, but it doesnt say if it was due to weight problems.
                    Thanks, lad. ...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      Martin Murray is an elite MW? Tell that to the GGG haters, LOL.

Abraham was tough, and he was durable, but certainly not elite level competition.
                      Murray was an elite MW in the division's current state in the same way ggg is an elite MW relative to the current state of 160.

Abraham in his prime always outclassed his opponents and his win over Taylor is still better than Jacobs.

As late as 2011 ggg was still going life and death with a passed it Kassim Ouma.

160 is still trying to rebound from the Super 6 and Martinez, Pirog, Pavlik, Hopkins departures.

Comment

Working...
                      X