Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Abraham stayed at 160, does he break Hopkins' MW record?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Abraham stayed at 160, does he break Hopkins' MW record?

How does his career play out if he just played it safe, didn't take any chances and not chase greatness like certain other fighters we've seen recently?

At the time he was 30-0, 24 KO's, he already made 10 successful title defenses at MW (4th all time)

He was folding up guys left and right, serious 1 punch power and an iron chin.

Other guys were moving up, Hopkins and Taylor also sought to challenge themselves and moved up. The division was much weaker after they left, he could've stayed and feasted on weak fighters but followed.

Pavlik was his main threat although even he took a massive risk fighting Hopkins at LHW in 2008 and was never the same.

Martinez wouldn't come a long for a few more years after a career at 154, he did beat Pavlik in a very tough fight but I'm not sure that Pavlik was as good as the pre-Hopkins version.

Do you think he breaks it? Or caps off just below? He could've easily racked up a couple more defenses.
    Last edited by Cutthroat; 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM.

He might get stopped by Pavlik/GGG or gets U'Ded by Martinez. But Abraham was no slouch.

Comment

Bunch of subjective speculation which can't be proven either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
        Bunch of subjective speculation which can't be proven either way.

It's a boxing forum.

Even when he was severely past his prime, been through several tough fights he was still capable of taking out a top 5 MW in Martin Murray.

Comment

I don't think so, Pavlik was all wrong for him, and I think GGG would've beat him too. However, I do wish he would've stayed at 160, he gave up too much physicality at 168 IMO.

Comment

His career best win was a life and death battle with Edison Miranda and Taylor coming off a KO loss. If he had broke the record it would have been against a long string of no-hopers and never-was opposition.

Comment

The reason he moved up in weight was because he no longer could make 160. I think after one weigh in he was hospitalized for exhaustion or something...

But for argument's sake if he was able to make 160 and stood there I think Pavlik would've beaten him.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                The reason he moved up in weight was because he no longer could make 160. I think after one weigh in he was hospitalized for exhaustion or something...

But for argument's sake if he was able to make 160 and stood there I think Pavlik would've beaten him.
                I was unaware of that!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  His career best win was a life and death battle with Edison Miranda and Taylor coming off a KO loss. If he had broke the record it would have been against a long string of no-hopers and never-was opposition.
                  You forgot to mention he went 8 rounds with a severely broken jaw against Miranda. He overcame the odds unlike erm, certain other fighters that never challenge themselves.

Taylor was still a fine fighter, he punched himself out the 1st time against Pavik and managed to go the distance with him in the rematch.

At 30+, years past his prime and numerous losses he was still able to defeat an elite middleweight Martin Murray. A top 5 win the on the current middleweight champion's resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post

Don't remember hearing about that, source? I do remember Miranda having to be hospitalized or something about him passing out and him having to move up but not Abraham.

Comment

Working...
                    X