No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TyrantT316 View Post
    Wow...lol...why not? Don't give me names like Stevenson and Jack. Since when did beating them make you HOF? Since when does moving up to HW a requirement for a Middle/Super Middle/LHW to be HOF worthy?
    Resume isn't deep enough. Didn't reign long enough.

Comment

Honestly boxing won't miss the guy at all. He was only entertaining in the Kovalev fights. Other than that his style is not the best. I respect what he did. The guy is a hall of famer no doubt.

Comment

a lil disappointed but good luck Champ.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          He finally reached the damn pinnacle of the sport. He's the consensus P4P number 1 fighter in the entire sport. He's only 32!! Omfg what the mother**** is going on.
          Ward seems very centered so the fact that he reached the pinnacle doesn't seem to be enough to keep him in it. That's usually reserved for people that look for external adulation in order to make themselves feel complete or to massage their ego. He doesn't strike me as that type so him leaving now seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
            Honestly boxing won't miss the guy at all. He was only entertaining in the Kovalev fights. Other than that his style is not the best. I respect what he did. The guy is a hall of famer no doubt.
            Agreed. And those fights didn't sell for ish. No one will even notice aside from hardcore SOG fans I'd reckon..

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPbfAli View Post
              But what did it require of him to get into that shape?
              Exactly. So many don't seem to factor in the toll Boxing takes on the body (bones, ligaments, muscles, etc) to train hard and for guys like Floyd/Hopkins/Ward to STAY in shape.

Every body will handle it differently in the long term. Also the mental aspect. Ward has a highly respectable resume. Multiple weight class champion. Undefeated. Twice beat the man people said he feared. Made good money.

At some point a person says, "my motivation isn't there anymore". Everybody at some point in their life says this. This is something that happens to people at desk jobs. "I'm not motivated anymore. I want to do something different. A new job, a new location, a new company, a new industry, etc." They difference is that that person isn't one punch or beating away from slurring speech 5-10 years down the line.

If a fighter who has given a lot to the sport, whether you like their style or not, decides to retire, I think that should be respected. It's a dangerous job and none of them should "have" to continue just because some critics want to push them to the point of the sport spitting them out with beatings as they decline or lose their motivation.

Comment

The knock out by low blows and a bullshit decision against Kovalev, Ward knew it was only a matter of time. He isn't that skillful like his pro race fans make him out to be but he's a HOFer for sure if other guys got in with less accomplishments.

Comment

Adonis Stevenson just breathed a big sigh of relief.

Comment

Originally posted by -NAV- View Post
                    Resume isn't deep enough. Didn't reign long enough.
                    Well I can respectfully disagree. I am pretty sure he's going into the HOF and is happy with what's he's accomplished. He deserves it in my opinion. You're obviously entitled to yours.

Comment

Looks legit.

I've always liked Andre Ward, but I couldn't be that big of a fan because I didn't like his style much. But he's a winner and I appreciate his efforts and fights that he's put on throughout the years. He has a great resume.

Anyways, I hope he enjoys his life outside of fighting. Boxers make comebacks all the time, but Ward seems like the type of guy who if he says he's done, then he's done. He's a family man and I'm sure that's all he needs to be content in life, so need to prove anymore to himself in the ring. He's made more than enough to have a great living and to provide for his family for life.

Comment

Working...
                      X