Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruh, why the **** did I just wake up to this!?!?!?

Comment

Text of Ward's message:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

To the sport of boxing – I love you. You’ve been by my side since I was 10-years-old. You’ve taught me so much. You’ve humbled me. You’ve promoted me. I’ve sacrificed a lot for you, but you’ve given me more than I ever thought possible. You gave me a platform, made me a champion and helped me provide for my family. I am forever grateful to you. You and I will always be synonymous, connected at the hip. Thank you for all the wonderful people I’ve come in contact with because of you. I’ve made friends for life. As I walk away from the sport of boxing today, I leave at the top of your glorious mountain, which was always my vision and my dream. I did it. We did it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who has played a part in my journey. You know who you are. I could not have done this without you. I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there. If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting. Above all, I give God the Glory, for allowing me to do what I’ve done, for as long as I have.

Andre “S.O.G” Ward

I think he will be one of those odd ducks that stays retired.

He is set up financially and will be able to earn a living broadcasting as well.

Comment

I'd guess ROC Nation Boxing is probably folding up at this point.

Comment

Tough year to try to get in the HOF. I guess Ward, Floyd, and Wlad will get in, everyone else will need to wait..

Comment

Respect to the man!! Went out as the best p4p fighter and kingpin of his division.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
              Oh I am. But honestly, you know who was professional, and who was aiming low throughout the fight. Deep down you know who fought clean boxing and who fought dirty trying to bend the rules...
              No, man... I thought Kov edged the first fight. I thought he got stopped pretty clean the second time. I like both fighters and I like this sport.

Comment

*Comes to the ring in great shape, KOs Kovalev*

"My body can't this anymore!"

Comment

As it stands he has to be recognised as the #1 pro fighter from the 2010s, only probably Lomachenko has a chance to eclipse him. I'm glad to see the back of him.

Comment

The fact that he's fought very good competition, just twice beat a man many said he feared, and now critics are still bashing him...shows he is probably better off leaving the sport. It can be extremely unforgiving as fans and experts will try to push you to where you have absolutely nothing left.

In a career based around breaking your body down and taking hits, I like when fighters get out before they're too far gone so they can enjoy their family, friends and money.

Ward of all people deserve it. He's made his money, won big fights, undefeated with one of the better resumes in the modern era, whether he's an ATG is debatable, but definitely one of the best fighters of his generation and HOF worthy.

I think he's good.

Comment

Props, he was the best of his era

Comment

Working...
                      X