No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
    ... He doesn't have big money fights in the U.S.
    ... It seems that he already tried to get Hearn involved for a U.K. fight... But after making $11 million in his last two fights, I don't think that he will get enough motivation for lesser paydays...
    There is often improved value once you leave boxing I'd argue. I think if their is a WBSS 175 tournament in 2018 the most discussed 175 fight in June 2019 by the winner of that tournament could be vs Ward where Ward would get f#cking paid potentially. And there are other sh^t in play. If Wilder beats Joshua a Wilder HW title fight could be in play for nice money.

Boxing is f#cking nuts brother lol. Things change on a dime all the time & Ward's 0 could become valuable in his absence. I could easily see Ward make more money from now on than he made from every day previous to today. Interest in cats can be weird like that. I mean after that Floyd sh^tshow vs Andre Berto who was predicting Floyd to come back to do the numbers he did vs a guy who never even boxed professionally before?

Comment

• great news. well done andre!

Comment

• Originally posted by j.razor View Post
        Man you really hate winners huh.....
        Only the ones who win by cheating, dirty tactics, or hyping up sub-par opponents. Not a fan of boring fighters either.

Comment

• I would say there's about a 1% chance he doesn't fight again.

Comment

• Enjoy retirement, those last two checks plus that split fee from Shakur will keep him comfortable for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
              Golovkin fan boys can finally sleep.
              Some are celebrating like GGG beat Ward...lol

Comment

• Damn this is unexpected.

The recent Top Rank rumors make me think he was shopping around for a new promoter and found out that nobody will pay him what he thinks he deserves.

Was never a fan of his style but give him respect. Winning the super 6, undefeated, cleared out his division, gold medalist, and after clearing out his division he moved up to beat Kov twice. (I thought he lost first fight, but to his credit he gave Kov a rematch and won decisively the second time). He was current p4p #1 IMO and like I said I wasn't really a big fan of his.

The timing is odd. Maybe he was hoping to see GGG demolish Canelo last week so that he could possibly push for a GGG fight which would probably bring him more money than any of his other alternatives. With GGG/Canelo being close he realized it's probably not gonna happen for him (GGG fight), at least anytime soon if ever.

I think he would have beaten Stevenson easily, he would have been smart enough to avoid Adonis's only weapon. I never believed the heavyweight talk him and Hunter put out after the Kov win, but I though there was a possibility he would try his hand at a lesser Cruiserweight.

He didn't get in trouble outside the ring and was a stand up guy in that regard. Negotiating wise he was a diva though and he talks about/views himself with a lot of arrogance (more than most athletes). Hopefully he can tone that down a bit as he commentates going forward because he is a good commentator IMO.

He has rumored retirement before so this could be very real. Barring some injury he's hiding I think this is a mistake on his part though. Never has had more negotiating power than he has right now.

Clearly HOF worthy, not an ATG though.

Comment

• Unexpected! So early. Good career champ. God bless on what's next.

Comment

• Now Abel Sanchez and the GGG cheerleading squad will call Ward out! I hope they do and hope that Andre then recinds his retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      There is often improved value once you leave boxing I'd argue. I think if their is a WBSS 175 tournament in 2018 the most discussed 175 fight in June 2019 by the winner of that tournament could be vs Ward where Ward would get f#cking paid potentially. And there are other sh^t in play. If Wilder beats Joshua a Wilder HW title fight could be in play for nice money.

Boxing is f#cking nuts brother lol. Things change on a dime all the time & Ward's 0 could become valuable in his absence. I could easily see Ward make more money from now on than he made from every day previous to today. Interest in cats can be weird like that. I mean after that Floyd sh^tshow vs Andre Berto who was predicting Floyd to come back to do the numbers he did vs a guy who never even boxed professionally before?
                      No, man... nobody really wants to pay and watch him fight... Ward isn't a trash talker either... He's only for pundits...

Comment

Working...
                      X