Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So was the opposition that bad or is GGG's power overrated at a high level?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
    GG's power has been well known since the amatuer days.

You cant knock out everybody especially when that opposition is running like a hoe and hell bent on surviving 12 rounds.
    Pretty much this, i think the expectations with GGG is extremely high (Some brought on by his team i might say).

If you have someone like Lara in there who mostly would be moving for the best part of the fight then to get a KO would be highly difficult.

Comment

I don't see how Golovkin failing to KO ultra-defensive boxers is a testament to him having overrated power at a high level. Anybody, if they really try hard enough and if that's their main intention, can survive for a very long time against even the hardest and most powerful punchers. However, if those same boxers actually came to win and fought positively (without trying to do the bare minimum to merely steal rounds and mostly looking to survive for the most of the other parts of the rounds), then they will also likely get knocked out as well.

If you think Golovkin's power was overrated, then why did the bigger sized Daniel Jacobs in height, reach and weight fought as if he was in survival mode for nearly the entire fight, except the rare moments where he threw a few flashy and ineffective punches? Same thing with Canelo Alvarez. If they actually fought to win and not to survive and if Golovkin still failed to KO them, then you could argue that Golovkin's power is overrated at a 'high level'. However, this wasn't the case as Golovkin's power put fear onto those boxers that survived against him, forcing them to spend most of the fight in survival mode.

Comment

or canelos defensive tactics like upperbody movement, and using his legs underestimated?

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
          I don't see how Golovkin failing to KO ultra-defensive boxers is a testament to him having overrated power at a high level. Anybody, if they really try hard enough and if that's their main intention, can survive for a very long time against even the hardest and most powerful punchers. However, if those same boxers actually came to win and fought positively (without trying to do the bare minimum to merely steal rounds and mostly looking to survive for the most of the other parts of the rounds), then they will also likely get knocked out as well.

If you think Golovkin's power was overrated, then why did the bigger sized Daniel Jacobs in height, reach and weight fought as if he was in survival mode for nearly the entire fight, except the rare moments where he threw a few flashy and ineffective punches? Same thing with Canelo Alvarez. If they actually fought to win and not to survive and if Golovkin still failed to KO them, then you could argue that Golovkin's power is overrated at a 'high level'. However, this wasn't the case as Golovkin's power put fear onto those boxers that survived against him, forcing them to spend most of the fight in survival mode.
          Canelo swallowed his best right hand and smiled at him and GGG was naturally the bigger guy, I think a better class of opponent changes the game play his power is not as devastating against better guys which is usually the case, drop the class back to contenders and glorified journeymen like Rubio and G will stop them just the same, he hasn't fought much as far as really quality .

Comment

He hits very hard, very heavy handed but he's more a thudding puncher than anything. I wouldn't say his power was overrated, no its probably the one thing about him not overrated.

He doesn't really have many one punch K.Os because his lack of snap, speed and opponents have often gave him so much respect. They often go into survival mode before they have even felt his power and its always hard to break down a guy like that that knows how to survive like a Malik Scott vs Ortiz for example.
            Most of these fighters haven't turned up to win or their mind has instantly changed once they've felt the weight of his shots and they suddenly are looking to survive as long as possible to claim a moral victory. ''I lasted 9 rounds with GGG''.

You can see it in their faces and body language they taste his power and their face changes you can almost read their thoughts ''Oh **** the boogeyman is real'' and they're just trying to survive.

Every punchers K.O rate drops when they start fighting true world level fighters its not his power is going anywhere just they're more durable, conditioned and better at seeing shots coming and able to take some of the heat off them.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
              Canelo swallowed his best right hand and smiled at him and GGG was naturally the bigger guy, I think a better class of opponent changes the game play his power is not as devastating against better guys which is usually the case, drop the class back to contenders and glorified journeymen like Rubio and G will stop them just the same, he hasn't fought much as far as really quality .
              Golovkin never caught Canelo Alvarez flush on the chin with full power. That's like saying Wladimir Klitschko's power isn't devastating enough to KO David Haye. The reason why Wladimir Klitschko failed to KO David Haye was because he failed to land his most powerful punch on the right spot. Not because he lacked power. Same here with Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez. If Golovkin's power wasn't there at all, then why didn't Alvarez fight more aggressively, throw more punches and just all round be more offensive instead of simply throwing the odd one or two punches every few minutes and then looking to survive? That alone should is enough evidence that Golovkin does indeed possess the power to KO Canelo Alvarez. He was simply unable to land his knockout punches on the right areas.

Comment

You guys are absolutely insane. Way too many keyboard jockeys.

GGG is an incredible fighter. He had Canelo surviving at times. GGG could have opened up a little more and it's completely possible he could have hurt/stopped a gassed Canelo at times, and I'm sure he'll work on that in the rematch.

This forum has gone to ****.... First it's the trolling, then complete BS like this bc GGG didn't starch Canelo early. That's completely disrespectful to Canelo who's a hell of a fighter.

Like Byrd, some of you clowns need to take a step down.

Comment

GGG hurt Canelo late on in the fight, it was one of the few times Canelo planted his feet and tried to exchange punches. He took a shot that visibly hurt him and went straight back to just trying to survive.

I dont think GGG's power is overrated at all, he just doesnt seem to have the explosiveness and snap to his shots that he once had.

Comment

GGG not gonna ko every top guy...that's disrespect to Canelo /Jacobs like there bums or something. GGG still winning why the hate?

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                      GGG not gonna ko every top guy...that's disrespect to Canelo /Jacobs like there bums or something. GGG still winning why the hate?
                      Criticism isn't hate. GGG is marketed and promoted as an offensive killer. In this fight he was far from that, whether you think he won or not.

GGG is getting criticism for not producing what he said he would in the lead up to the fight. This shouldn't surprise anyone on NSB seeing as how this was one of the main criticisms against the most discussed boxer on this forum.

Fighters that don't do what they say they will get criticized. I don't see why GGG would get treated differently.

Comment

Working...
                      X