Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who deserved to win, Golovkin or Canelo? (public poll)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to rewatch it. It looked like Alvarez won last night.

Comment

The Canelo-Golovkin draw absolutely stinks

Matt Christie, BoxingNewsonline

WHILE it fleetingly conjured up memories of great fights gone by, Canelo-Golovkin will ultimately be remembered alongside the most infamous decisions in history. As many predicted, the eagerly awaited showdown was marred by a controversial outcome on the cards as the 12-round contest was declared the most horrible draw since Lennox Lewis was cheated out of victory over Evander Holyfield in 1999.

A thoroughly outrageous score of 118-110 in Canelo’s favour handed in by Adelaide Byrd immediately took the shine off what had been a wonderful contest, albeit one that appeared to have been won by Golovkin. The Kazakh did get a 115-113 nod, before a tally of 114-114 confirmed the draw.

Not since Marvin Hagler lost his world title to Sugar Ray Leonard in 1987 has there been such controversy in a middleweight championship bout. Perhaps repeated viewings of this contest will be kind to Canelo like they have been to Leonard (who was also on the right end of a highly contentious 118-110 score back then), but for now – here at the T-Mobile Arena –the smell is unbearable. A draw, if three close cards had been returned would have been sufferable, but Byrd’s tally is simply outrageous.

The bout started slowly but by the fourth, Golovkin seemed to be in control as his jab began to dictate. A superb fifth session saw both exchange before the WBA, WBC and IBF champion upped his output during the middle rounds. By the 10th – another wild session – Golovkin appeared to be cruising to victory.

Canelo changed his approach as the minutes ticked down, his habit of waiting on the ropes and inviting punishment was replaced by initiating his own attacks. The Mexican certainly finished strongly, but the result seemed a formality at the final bell.

When Michael Buffer read out the 118-110 score nobody in the arena was surprised. But then when Canelo’s name quickly followed boos almost took the roof off. Canelo, the fan favourite throughout the build-up and the early rounds, suddenly became public enemy number one. Indeed, at this juncture, only a rematch could possibly lead to forgiveness.

But don’t blame Canelo. Blame this rotten stinking sport. And while you’re at it, blame Adelaide Byrd. Serious questions must be asked about how she only scored two rounds to Golovkin. It’s possible she was swayed by the crowd who initially cheered Canelo’s every swing, but such adoration was not present in each of the 10 rounds she scored for the Mexican. Whatever her reasoning, we must be allowed to hear it.

Boxing was relying on this fight tonight and as a contest, it was thrilling, no question. But any new fans the action created would surely have been repulsed by what followed. How could you possibly explain that score to someone who had never seen boxing before tonight?

You can’t. Of course you can’t.

Comment

It was close i scored for GGG 7-5, im good with the draw

118-110 is a robbery,

Comment

80% ggg won

yeah that says everything

Comment

The biggest winner last night was the bookies. 2nd was Canelo, cause he ran more than Mayweather and hit back LESS.
            He was terrified of exchanging with a man who hit as hard as HIMSELF. I call that a pu$$y move. The real Mexican in the ring lastnight was GGG. The other dude was a red haired Broner.

Comment

It all went downhill for canelo when ggg landed that huge overhand right in the 4th, that took a lot out of the ginger.

Even though canelo had some eye catching combos, they weren't enough to steal any of the middle rounds. You have to look at who's punches are affecting the other more, and alvarez was gassed/hurt 4-9. Neither did sh/t rd 1 so that's even. 2-3 canelo. 10-12 are the debatable rounds, i gave the redhead 10and 11.

As a fan of both, i thought ggg deserved the win. The worst possible score would be a draw, i just don't see any way that saul could have won.

Comment

The 41 who voted canelo must feel really f'ing stupid... How can you be a true boxing fan with that kind of ignorant bias?

Comment

Originally posted by hateinyaeyes32 View Post
                  The 41 who voted canelo must feel really f'ing stupid... How can you be a true boxing fan with that kind of ignorant bias?
                  They are definitely not true boxing fans, just pathetic Golovkin haters.

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
                    I scored for Canelo.
                    YDKSAB

find a new sport or invest in some glasses

Comment

LOL at the poll results. ODLH and his girl ripped off the world last night. His girl got that ass taxed.

Comment

Working...
                      X