No announcement yet.

50-0 Mayweather carefully breaks historic Marciano record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
    People are putting way too much emphasis on 50-0 and Marciano, if this fight hadn't presented itself Mayweather would of still been happily retired at 49-0, its the media making it a thing. He's had a great career whether you consider it to be a 50th win or not.
    I agree. The "record" really isn't a record. Lopez is 51-0, Chavez was 87-0, Wilde was like 97-0, Olivares was like 68-0 it's been done quite a lot and with this new generation that obsesses over the "0" we will probably see Lopez' 51-0 beaten soon enough.

Funny because the same type of folks proclaiming that Floyd's 50-0 is absolute proof he's the goat also ridicule and bash Marciano's 49-0 or Calzaghe's 46-0. I don't think anyone says Calzaghe > than Jones, even though he got the "W" over him and way less losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
      Menayothin got to 48 over the weekend http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/383177
      3 wins until he's the goat. Wow.

Floyd probably throwing some money at Asian boxing promoters to make sure he loses soon.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
        I agree. The "record" really isn't a record. Lopez is 51-0, Chavez was 87-0, Wilde was like 97-0, Olivares was like 68-0 it's been done quite a lot and with this new generation that obsesses over the "0" we will probably see Lopez' 51-0 beaten soon enough.

Funny because the same type of folks proclaiming that Floyd's 50-0 is absolute proof he's the goat also ridicule and bash Marciano's 49-0 or Calzaghe's 46-0. I don't think anyone says Calzaghe > than Jones, even though he got the "W" over him and way less losses.
        There is a difference between retiring undefeated and a win steak. You don't seem to get that. Comparing either Calzaghe or Marciano's resume to Mayweather is a matter of being uniformed on your part too.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          There is a difference between retiring undefeated and a win steak. You don't seem to get that.
          I completely understand it. Just not sure why retiring at that mark makes it so much more of an achievement. So if Chavez had retired at 87-0 he'd have been TBE unquestioned?

Comment

I completely understand it. Just not sure why retiring at that mark makes it so much more of an achievement. So if Chavez had retired at 87-0 he'd have been TBE unquestioned?
            No. Are you aware of Chavez first 40 or so opponents? Mayweather has been fighting top competition since his 18th pro fight.

I don't consider Mayweather the greatest ever but his resume is better than Chavez, Marciano, or Calzaghe.
            Last edited by joseph5620; 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              No. Are you aware of Chavez first 40 opponents or so opponents? Mayweather has been fighting top competition since his 18th pro fight.

I don't consider Mayweather the greatest ever but his resume is better than Chavez, Marciano, or Calzaghe.
              Ok, so Mayweather is really 32-0 then? Lomachenko has been fighting top opposition since his second fight and he's ridiculed here by many.

I just think it's dumb to use records as indicators of one being the best ever which it seems plenty here do. There's a lot of resumes better than all of the unbeaten retired fighters.

Comment

Ok, so Mayweather is really 32-0 then? Lomachenko has been fighting top opposition since his second fight and he's ridiculed here by many.

I just think it's dumb to use records as indicators of one being the best ever which it seems plenty here do. There's a lot of resumes better than all of the unbeaten retired fighters.
                I've never ridiculed Lomachenko who has nothing to do with this so no need to start strawman arguments. The point is that you can't compare Mayweather's boxing resume to Calzaghe, Marciano, Chavez, or Ricardo Lopez as if they are the same. They aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                  Unless of course he chooses to fight again and loses. Marciano's 49-0 record is a big deal because he was a popular heavyweight who knew when to hang them up. i.e. quit undefeated. Nino Benvenuti was 65-0 before losing to Emile Griffith and JC Chavez was 87-0 - what if either had retired before their first loss would we have thought Chavez 37 fights better than Mayweather and Benvenuti 15 fights better? Of course not, it is a silly way to look at it.

Someone else will win more than 50 fights in a row (there have been more than a few; there will be more) and it will only become 'historic' if he then quits before losing. It seems being 'historic' is all in knowing when to quit.

Sorry that should have read Ki-Soo Kim for Benvenuti's loss.
                  How many fought 22 champions and title holders?

Comment

mods kept changing my thread title and moved this from boxing history even though its a historic record. Marciano's record stood for almost 62 years before mayweather destroyed it.

maybe oscar de la hoya has an admin account here, i dont know anyone else so salty over mayweather historically shattering marciano's record.

Comment

The difference is Floyd has done it while competing at the very top of the sport since his 18th fight. I first watched him fight in 1998 and he has been dominating top opposition since then. His record/resume is not the only factor, it's his skill/talent, abilities and sales records that makes his accomplishments greater than any other 49-0 fighter

Comment

Working...
                      X