Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather vs. McGregor: NSAC Approves Use of 8-Ounce Gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
    ...from the article itself "They did state that they would not use what are considered “puncher’s gloves,” which would give McGregor more of an advantage." = no Reyes, no Everlast MX
    http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...-mayweather-jr

I've learned to take much of what these two say and their respective camps with a grain of salt. However, this article is much more recent, and apparently nothing is still agreed upon as per Mcg. Also states in the article he can wear whatever he wants upon NSAC Approval (which I thought was the case since it was announced). Call me crazy but if they approved it from 10 to 8 I doubt NSAC is going to deny a request for Cleto or MX.

Comment

• Originally posted by revelated View Post
      uh oh. I hope it's not tony weeks.

I'd gladly support steve willis smiling while floyd is pull countering conor all night long.

they just selected robert byrd... He did the floyd vs guerrero fight i think

Comment

• What a circus this fight is lol

Comment

• Like Anthony Joshua's coach said about the fight; the boxers gloves--10 oz to 8 oz will have no effect on the fight. They're both prepared and conditioned now. Kind of fun to have a guy that wants smaller gloves who won't be able to hit the guy that's peppering him all night until his loud mouthed, irish bum falls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thutch2412 View Post
            He wants 8 because Conor was pretty vocal during the Press Tour about having to use 10oz gloves, Floyd gave him what he wanted. Now Conor, his camp, nor the MMA universe can say **** once this fight is over.
            Thats not true at all. Yes he may have used the situation to publicize it and make a simple request huge boxing news, but Mayweather has been on record multiple times saying he preferred 8 oz gloves. He requested 8 oz in both DLH and Cotto fights. The reason being is the smaller gloves are much better for fast fighters. Also, Because the glove is smaller the padding is packed tighter which provides more protection for the hands. Where as 10 ounce gloves provide more surface for defense (another plus for Mayweather, smaller gloves cover less), and are generally regarded as better for punchers, because the padding tends to spread. As a matter of fact, the padding can actually be manipulated so that the knuckle is closer to the leather. Fighters like Kovalev, will lean on walls and do push ups after the gloves are put on to create this affect. So as you can plainly see, McGregor played right into Mayweathers hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
              right on cue

will Mac's new 8oz gloves come fitted with a radar ?

no..... then they will not help McGregor much then will they ?

they will benefit the sharp/accurate/precise guy who will be landing plenty.....

you just got played, sucker

now Mayweather will have less problem keeping Mac honest
              It's funny isn't it. People act as if they know about fighting but yet have no actual discernible knowledge about the nuances of fighting. Comparing men who don't box, or have little to no knowledge of punch defense, to pretty much a master boxer, who's specific mastery is defense. Oh yeah and who's only been knocked down once in his 49 fight career, even though he has fought fighters who have more than 30 knock outs with larger gloves, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronx23 View Post
                the fact that theyre blowing this up is comical. If youve ever boxed before you know that the difference of 2oz literally is unnoticeable. Obviously theyre not the same but the padding distribution is exactly the same.

let me put it like this. If i put a blindfold on you and punched you in the face as hard as i can with an 10oz glove and the punched again just as hard with an 8oz. youd wouldnt be able to differentiate between the two.

i get it though, they need to do everything they can to make the casuals believe that connor has a better chance now. wont make a difference for floyd either. his only k.o. at 147 was damn near 10 years ago with ortiz standing there like a dummy with his hands down. unless he stops him from body shots this fight is going 12.
                Depends on the glove, with amateur gloves, you can definitely tell the difference between 10 and 12oz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonhead_Jeff View Post
                  If you can hurt somebody with 8oz gloves, you can hurt them with 10oz gloves. It's not a big deal. It's only a big deal to MMA fans who think 10oz boxing gloves are pillows. They think Conor's vaunted KO-power will be reduced while wearing 10oz gloves, but boxers like GGG & Lemieux HAVE NO TROUBLE DESTROYING PEOPLE with 10oz gloves on. Guys get hurt while sparring with even bigger gloves on. If you can punch, you can punch.
                  The biggest difference is a higher percentage of punches get through cleanly with smaller gloves. The bigger the gloves get, the more shots that are partially blocked or deflected or didn't get through the guard.

As far as impact, there isn't much in it. There is more difference between different brands and styles of gloves. For example my 16 ounce grant sparring gloves have less padding over the knuckles than a pair of 10 ounce amateur gloves.

But increasing the connect percentage means you are taking more shots, and for someone as accurate as Floyd vs someone as inexperienced as McGreggor, its going to give Floyd a BIG advantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                    It's Robert Byrd
                    Not as bad as Tony Weeks...but just so everyone remembers in case ya'll forgot...

Robert Byrd reffed Pacquiao/Bradley 1. Refused to call clear knockdowns and allowed Bradley to clinch more than he usually does without punishment.

Ward/Kovalev 1 was a clinchfest because Byrd allowed it.

Clinchko/Brewster - Byrd let the legend that is Grabomir Clinchko become a thing with excessive clinches and no punishment.

Just sayin...that's a far cry from Bayless who breaks up infighting before it gets to that point. I'd say Byrd as ref favors McGregor.

Comment

• what , does this prove floyd is brave or something

he is fighting a non boxer with zero experience in the boxing ring so of course it's nothing

Comment

Working...
                      X