Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The UFC will get into promoting Boxing soon -- Call me crazy but...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
    didn't white sell the UFC for like 4 billion dollars? what happened with that?
    White never owned the UFC

Comment

Are you ******ed? How can the UFC get into boxing with the Ali act and who would fight for them? Daniel Cormier?

Comment

What about the Ali Act would deter the UFC/WME from getting into Boxing?

How did PBC come to existence, and is all over TV out of nowhere?
        Why is this new World Boxing Super Series ($50 million prize money) happening?

Whatever the Ali Act does that is perceived as obstacles for new promoters (i.e. the UFC/WME/Zuffa), it hasn't deterred new big-money players from getting into Boxing promotion.

Both those en****** (PBC and WBSS) are trying to BRAND the sport of Boxing; Richard Schaefer said it himself. So in effect, they're borrowing from the "UFC" and the sport of MMA. It could be that the UFC thinks it can brand the sport of Boxing better than the current players.

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Idk about all that. I do think they will show boxing on Fight Pass eventually like they show other combat sports on Fight Pass, but there are too many issues with how the UFC operates & the Muhammad Ali act that would present problems for them so its not happening. They got enough problems with MMA & the Muhammad Ali act coming into MMA which could greatly alter how they do business if that gets passed.

I think likely they will be making some interesting moves with their new TV deal which is up next year. I think they could be exiting or altering their presence in the PPV market & going to HBO or going harder with Fox or another network to have monthly shows instead of just 4 per year. And I'm sure they got all kinds of other sh^t planned beyond that, but the TV deal being up next year is gonna be the thing that most impacts the UFC & their direction in the coming years.
        Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Why would they lobby so hard against the Ali Act in MMA just to turn around and join a sport where the Ali Act is implemented? The UFC couldn't compete in boxing because they can't take advantage of the boxers like they do their own fighters. And they'd have to work with other promoters which decreases their take even more.
        Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Nope. There's something called the Ali Act that will keep the UFC out of boxing.
        Originally posted by A.K View Post
        Are you ******ed? How can the UFC get into boxing with the Ali act and who would fight for them? Daniel Cormier?

Comment

Which boxer will agree to box for a UFC-like platform though? You know some of the poorest top boxers make 6 digit salaries while the poorest UFC fighters barely make a teacher's salary?

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
            White never owned the UFC
            Yes he did. Granted he only owned 10% & I believe 9% once that other group bought in later on, but he for sure owned a piece of the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post

Whatever the Ali Act does that is perceived as obstacles for new promoters (i.e. the UFC/WME/Zuffa), it hasn't deterred new big-money players from getting into Boxing promotion.

Both those en****** (PBC and WBSS) are trying to BRAND the sport of Boxing; Richard Schaefer said it himself. So in effect, they're borrowing from the "UFC" and the sport of MMA. It could be that the UFC thinks it can brand the sport of Boxing better than the current players.
              LOL it ain't got anything to do with a brand. There are a million brands in boxing.

Here's the MAA act:
              https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/106/hr1832/text

Here's a story about the UFC lobbying against the Ali Act being enforced in the MMA world cuz it would f#ck up their sh^t if it passes
              It should come as no surprise that the UFC would oppose a bill that could have massive consequences on their business model (Again see Show Money Episode 10), for this isn’t the first time they have lobbied against the potential expansion of the Muhammad Ali Reform Boxing Act to MMA. Back in 2008, the UFC retained Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck to lobby on Capitol Hill against Sen. John McCain’s (R-AZ) Professional Boxing Safety Act of 2007 which ended up failing to pass.

The UFC is not alone in their view. Several members of the media have also voiced concerns about applying boxing legislation to MMA. This includes Brent Brookhouse, Sam Caplan,*Luke Thomas, and Marc Raimondi.

On the other side, supporters of bringing the Ali Act for MMA include several fighters, amongst them UFC fighters Leslie Smith, and Luke Rockhold, as well Bellator president Scott Coker, Association of Boxing Commissions President Mike Mazzulli and Sen. John McCain.
              https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/1...-extension-act

Comment

will be very regional at first. Rumor is the sweet science events will be tested on UFC Fight Pass, and if successful may help the new UFC owners shop themselves to TV networks as “more than just a MMA” sports league
                I could see them putting boxing on Fight Pass. Hell I've been speculating that for a year or so I think (I believe I've mentioned RJJ's MMA league + his boxing promotion being a part of that cuz the UFC & RJJ have talked business before).

FP gots a bunch of combat sports on it. Why not boxing? That's not really them running a boxing promotion doe. So they are already "more than just a MMA league" for anyone aware of what they've been doing via FP.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Which boxer will agree to box for a UFC-like platform though? You know some of the poorest top boxers make 6 digit salaries while the poorest UFC fighters barely make a teacher's salary?
                  How does PBC do it?

The structure is different in Boxing than it is in MMA/the UFC, but there's still money being made.

The UFC's TV contract coming up soon, they might make themselves more attractive with Boxing in their portfolio. Long-game, to become the "go-to" brand for the fight game, for combat sports. And you can't do that without Boxing.

Comment

Lue dibella promotes most pbc cards haymon is just the manager.

Comment

You might be right, noticed Dana with the Zuffa Boxing T-Shirt! They certainly have the money and the backing to build a success boxing league or whatever if they put effort in doing it!

Honestly, boxing probably could use something similar to the UFC with BILLIONS Behind It as well as fans from the UFC also getting into boxing!
                      Last edited by sicko; 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X