Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you guys so high on Diego Corrales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Idk that one should throw Diego in with Mosley, ODLH & Manny, but Diego was a bad mofo all the same. About the best thing I can say to hype Diego was he was the only guy I ever picked to beat Floyd & a large part of the reason I never picked against Floyd again was cuz how dominating his performance was over a bad mofo like Diego. And I'm a cat who was a fan of Floyd pre-Olympics cuz I'm from Grand Rapids & saw Floyd fight when he was just the son of some guy who lost to Sugar Ray Leonard.
    That's what i'm saying those guys were on a whole nother level.......
    I stand by what i said, corrales didn't seem to do anything in the may fight put follow him and around and get jabed to death....

Look i have watched alot of his fights, i did not see a technician period!

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
      Diego Corrales is Robert Guerrero level.
      This and I am going to say he was garbage people who were watching fights back then know this, it just the Larrys who try to make it appear like he was an elite fighter because he fought Floyd but in reality he was a dam club fighter nothing more and nothing less

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
        That's what i'm saying those guys were on a whole nother level.......
        I stand by what i said, corrales didn't seem to do anything in the may fight put follow him and around and get jabed to death....

Look i have watched alot of his fights, i did not see a technician period!
        What does being or not being a technician have to do with it?

Like I said regardless of what happened in their fight Diego Corrales was the guy I & I imagine many others seen as the biggest threat to Floyd's 0, not Shane, ODLH & Manny despite those guys having had better careers overall & even having more competitive fights with Floyd.

People like to revise history based on what happened later, but the reality is Diego was a mfer who was ranked higher then Floyd at the time by many if not most publications in the division & iirc P4P at the time of their fight. Floyd having one of his best performances ever in that fight, Diego losing 2yrs of his career after that fight + Diego's quick downfall, likely due to his constant weight problems have all helped minimize how much of a bad mofo he was.

And lets not make no mistake either. Floyd was a killer himself back then. He didn't start fighting the ODLH's, Mosley's & Manny's til 7 years after Diego & 17lbs higher. 130lb Floyd was a f#cking beast. He was 27-0 (20) up til his move up to 135. He went 22-0 (6) at 135-154. Hand issues + fighting bigger guys required Floyd to have to adapt his style to the guy some of you cats only remember knowing about Floyd now.

Comment

I put Corrales on the same level as Margarito in terms of skill and ability, albeit a smaller and less powerful version. If anything he was exposed when he fought Mayweather. He hadn't fought an A-level fight prior, and he his style was made for Floyd, come forward straight up and down, no movement.

Comment

Hindsight bias. If you weren't watching boxing at the time you wouldn't understand how Corrales was viewed. He was a top 10 p4p fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              He hadn't fought an A-level fight prior
              Robert Garcia was right up there with Diego & Floyd at the time at 130. Diego KO'd him. Angel Manfredy was a very respectable guy back in those days too. Diego KO'd him. I'd call both those guys A level, but if your definition is that 6 guys in all of boxing at any given time are A level then fair enough on us being in massive disagreement on that definition.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
                Diego Corrales is Robert Guerrero level.
                There are some really stupid people here. Case and point.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Robert Garcia was right up there with Diego & Floyd at the time at 130. Diego KO'd him. Angel Manfredy was a very respectable guy back in those days too. Diego KO'd him. I'd call both those guys A level, but if your definition is that 6 guys in all of boxing at any given time are A level then fair enough on us being in massive disagreement on that definition.
                  Diego saw some success after the Floyd fight, got some decent wins against Casamayor, Freitas, Castillo. But Manfredy was never considered an A-class fighter, Garcia was much smaller and just outgunned. I just didn't see anything truly special about Corrales outside of his grit and power, same as Margarito.

Comment

There was a reason Corrales was favored going into the fight. Losing like he did to Floyd isn't a reflection of how bad he is but how great Floyd is.

The one downside to Floyd coming back is there will be a plethora of "denigrate Floyd opponent" threads.

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
                      That I don't doubt, my question is who did he beat before may and who did he beat after may? Considering he lost to may.....what did he do to gain this rep?
                      Robert Garcia, Derrick Gainer, Angel Manfedy, Jose Luis Castillo, Joel Casamayor, Acelino Freitas. All top fighters at the time.All knocked out with the exception of Casamayor. You probably don't know who any of those fighters are anyway

This is a topic you obviously don't know anything about which makes your opinion on it meaningless.

Comment

Working...
                      X