Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the ward v kovalev result be overturned?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
    "low blows throughout the fight"

Oh yeah, all those belt line shots with his shorts high up should definitely be treated low. Especially when Weeks stated explicitly at the beginning that the belt line was OK.

The last couple of shots at the very end of the fight were low but don't come in here with some bs narrative about the rest of the fight.
    Speaking of bs, you are using a gif that cuts out the lowblow 1 second before those 2 shots on the belt line.
    It was edited out for å reason. So fanboys can act like maybe there was a lowblow or 2 but Hey look at this carefully edited gif!! kovalav is hurt by legit bodyshots guys !!!
    So pathetic.

Comment

I have been trolling quite a bit since the stoppage, but putting that aside for a moment I think most of us can agree that the appropriate thing to do in that spot was for Weeks to issue either a warning or probably better yet a point off, and give Kov time to recover.

But will that be enough for the result to be overturned? We'll see. A DQ seems unlikely given the inaccuracy of Kovalev's account regarding the 'low blows' earlier in the fight (which were mostly belt line shots that will stand on review), plus I doubt that they will rule Ward had maliciously intended to hit low repeatedly.

At the least, the very last punch was definitely at least half-glove below the belt line. Glove clearly makes contact with the BL in the HUBLOT logo. Which probably isn't where his balls are but it is not a legal shot.

A NC is possible. It's less clear than Rigo's NC situation. For him you just can't make an argument that a shot after the bell can cause a legit KO, even if Flores' overacting ass deserved it. In this case, you have to factor in everything that Weeks saw and considered, which includes more than the low blow(s) itself.

Ward looked great in there but I understand the complaining, and acknowledge the possibility of it becoming NC.
      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 06-18-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

turning your back on your opponent and acting to get rest and help from a ref while bending at the waist anytime ur touched to the body is illegal. didnt like the stoppage but kovs body language lost him the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
          Wasn't a low blow. 2 good body shots.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVeMyZMD...rkovalev&hl=en

you get five minutes to recover after a shot like this. this is the best agle of the end fo the fight. weeks stopped the fight after an obvious foul.

Comment

Ward always got away with his dirty BS. Why start now?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              if kovalev wasn't starting to tire and look bad i'd be more disappointed by the mistakes weeks made that led to the end of the fight. ward may have gotten a stoppage anyway, and was almost surely going to coast to a decision with all the momentum he had, but the ending of htat fight was a joke.

no, the result shouldn't be overtuned. weeks made a bad call. it happens and there's really no precedent as far as i can tell for a case specifically regarding low blows that were not called. it was a headshot that got him going, after all. but that headshot came only an exchange or two after a blatant, hard low blow. kovalev wasn't once given a full 5 minutes to recover.

weeks looked bad after that one. smells a bit fishy, but again, i'm not goign to go crazy because ward was starting to win the fight and i still think the better fighter won.
              Basically this.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                https://www.instagram.com/p/BVeMyZMD...rkovalev&hl=en

you get five minutes to recover after a shot like this. this is the best agle of the end fo the fight. weeks stopped the fight after an obvious foul.
                I wish they had interviewed Weeks after the fight. It's hard to imagine he did not see that the last shot was low. But then, this replay is a slowmo gif which is not how Weeks saw it live.

But yeah, stopping the fight at that moment was a bad call, though Kov was very much looking like he was on the verge of stoppage prior to that shot.
                Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Rewatched and yea, I think it should. On rewatch the ref if not calling the lowblows should have ordered them to continue. Anyway, he was stopped on illegal strikes undoubtedly, so it "should" be a NC.
                  Last edited by SplitSecond; 06-18-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

SOG (Socker Of Genitals)

Comment

The people voting yes should find a new sport to follow.

Comment

Working...
                      X