Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Fonfara retire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that's going to happen when you have a terrible defense and you face monstrous punchers. His chin has never been great. But his fighting style definitely doesn't help him either.

Comment

I don't think he will ever be a legit champ but there isn't really a reason he should retire because he will be making good money no matter what because of his name. If he was mentally/physically damaged (which wouldn't be the case with quick knockouts, then yeah)

The sport is filled with thousands of guys used as stepping stones and record padders and nobody thinks they should retire and they make a lot less than he does.

Comment

Fonfara has the heart but not enough of the fundamentals. He needs a new trainer and start from scratch. Work on his defense. He's a punching bag as it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Graz View Post
          Fonfara has the heart but not enough of the fundamentals. He needs a new trainer and start from scratch. Work on his defense. He's a punching bag as it is now.
          Idk if that's possible though. That's the kind of stuff that should've been corrected a long time ago. It starts when you're young. He's been professional for years. We're talking about completely changing the way he's been fighting for years, and a way that brought him success when facing subpar competition. He thought that style worked, but now against top competition, well, we know what happens.

Comment

I don't think his fundamentals are bad but his issue is he's primarily an offensive fighter and rather slow so of course, he's always going to get hit a lot.

I do agree with bmorph in that you can't really change him at this point and even if you did, it wasn't the same thing that brought him to the dance in the first place so he could end up being worse!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              dang, wtf was Fonfara trying to explain to the ref when he was on his ass. I dont think he even realized he was down lol
              Probably trying to make a case that it's still the 1st round, but Fonfara was really hurt. He got up way too quick from the knockdown. I knew he was done when I saw his legs weren't there.

I couldn't believe it myself cuz Fonfara just landed a good punch and had Smith going backwards a bit, but Fonfara had his hands low, squared up, and fell inside and all Smith needed was one clean punch.

I was glad I went with my one friend who's not really a boxing fan, but he's shown interest in boxing in the past, so I told him let's go to the UIC, $50 after taxes and fees. He had so much fun and said he wanted to go again. He never saw boxing live.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                Probably trying to make a case that it's still the 1st round, but Fonfara was really hurt. He got up way too quick from the knockdown. I knew he was done when I saw his legs weren't there.

I couldn't believe it myself cuz Fonfara just landed a good punch and had Smith going backwards a bit, but Fonfara had his hands low, squared up, and fell inside and all Smith needed was one clean punch.

I was glad I went with my one friend who's not really a boxing fan, but he's shown interest in boxing in the past, so I told him let's go to the UIC, $50 after taxes and fees. He had so much fun and said he wanted to go again. He never saw boxing live.
                Polish are crazy fans so I am sure that made the atmosphere more lively. Who wouldve ever thought Joe Smith was going to win like that or even win at all. I almost didnt even watch it thinking Smith would get steam rolled. And good on you adding another fan to the sport

Comment

why does every fighter have to retire when they lose? he can make lots of money as a fringe world level fighter and can be involved in fun fights.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    why does every fighter have to retire when they lose? he can make lots of money as a fringe world level fighter and can be involved in fun fights.
                    In most cases you would be right, but Stevenson is no speedster and Fanfara just couldn't get out of the way of Stevensons left. It seems as if those reflexes are shot and making lots of money depends on how you define lots of money.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post

Yeah, I went to that fight with my brother. Talk about a crowd getting silenced in a hurry. Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X