Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The myth that Ward was the one that initiated the dirty tactics in Kovalev fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing fans have become so sensitive and emotional. Maybe it's because most posters on this site don't actual train in the sport of boxing.

As a result, many rarely know what the **** they're taking about!

Fact is Ward has only been at fault for headbutting in the Kessler fight. He's improved a lot since then.

Funny how Ward isn't deserving of the accolades from his accomplishments years ago, but is strangely deserving of the criticism from his actions during the same period of time....

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
      Kovalev and Kessler are two fights that the "dirty tactics" talk come up most often with Ward. I don't even remember it coming up (this much) after the Froch fight. I know there was a huge cut from a headbutt in the Kessler fight however, it seems that fans of both will not accept that Ward was able to defeat these two.
      Ward deserves full credit for his wins, but he does push the boundaries of what is legal. It gives people an excuse to work with if they don't like what they see.

I actually like Ward. Nice guy and local, but I hate when he drives in head first and hits while he's holding. The thing is, he actually is a really smooth boxer when doesn't do that. As you pointed out, his victory over Froch was mostly pure boxing and I think his best performance. I rate Froch higher than many do, and Ward beat him cleanly.

Comment

Hopefully Ward emulates what Spence did to Brook. Brook tried clinching on the inside as much as possible and Spence punished him by constantly hitting him hard to the face and body with the free hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
          Ward deserves full credit for his wins, but he does push the boundaries of what is legal. It gives people an excuse to work with if they don't like what they see.

I actually like Ward. Nice guy and local, but I hate when he drives in head first and hits while he's holding. The thing is, he actually is a really smooth boxer when doesn't do that. As you pointed out, his victory over Froch was mostly pure boxing and I think his best performance. I rate Froch higher than many do, and Ward beat him cleanly.
          Pushes the boundaries and illegal are two different things. I wouldn't even put him in the same category as Bernard Hopkins who often used his "veteran" moves to do some illegal things. To your other point, some people act as if Ward is not a good clean boxer and tend to credit his wins against popular fighters to his dirty tactics. I disagree slightly when you say he pushes the boundaries. I think he's settled for a fighting style that benefits him but is hard for conventional fighters to fight against. So while it might come off as dirty, it might just be awkward or sloppy but is effective for him because he also has real skills to enhance that style.

Comment

Comment

I don't care what anyone says, Ward fights smart. And he's dirty too, I don't give a fock. But he's one of the most skilled fighters in the game. Dirty tactics + skills is hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                Pushes the boundaries and illegal are two different things. I wouldn't even put him in the same category as Bernard Hopkins who often used his "veteran" moves to do some illegal things. To your other point, some people act as if Ward is not a good clean boxer and tend to credit his wins against popular fighters to his dirty tactics. I disagree slightly when you say he pushes the boundaries. I think he's settled for a fighting style that benefits him but is hard for conventional fighters to fight against. So while it might come off as dirty, it might just be awkward or sloppy but is effective for him because he also has real skills to enhance that style.
                I agree it is not the same as what Hopkins did. The fact of the matter is that referees allow it and he is effective with it, so it is what it is. To the point of the thread though, Kovalev was attempting to neutralize it by locking his arms up inside and getting away from Ward's head.

Saying that Kovalev initiated "dirty" tactics though ignores context. We know how each fighter fights. We should all be able to see what was going on clearly, although some people want to argue differently.

Comment

Bruh Ward is going to outclass that man. People don't know what he's in for with all that yapping they do. Ward by WIDE decision

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post

This is what would happen everytime, it would be ward kessler/bika all over again, who wants that? The point of boxing is damage with your fists, not you head/elbows..

Floyd boys are incredible hypocrites doe, this was floyds go to move, abused so it was.
                    Looks like a smother and closing the distance?

Comment

It's boxing stop *****ing Kov had ward hurt an should've finished him shut up with the excuses

Comment

Working...
                      X