Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brook made a huge mistake fighting GGG & it's going to be looked back as his downfall

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree it was a stupid move but in no way would it change what happened tonight.

Comment

I guess he has the Margarito syndrome busted eye he's done

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
        I agree it was a stupid move but in no way would it change what happened tonight.
        I don't think he would've quit. I think he would've fought to a losing decision but his mind was telling him to quit because of the GGG eye damage.

Like I said in the OP, it's not an excuse because Errol would've gassed out Brook the same because he was working that body all fight and it paid off. Eye issues or not he would've gassed hard still so I agree to a point but I just feel Brook wouldn't have quit the way he did.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          It's stupid after the fact, if he had won it would've looked like a genius move. It's happened many times before him and others succeeded. He failed, so yea in hindsight it was stupid. Khan going up to fight Canelo was also stupid. Jones going up to fight Ruiz was smart, Hopkins vs Tarver was smart, Pac-DLH was smart, Guerrero vs Aydin was smart. When the fighter succeeds, it's their career defining fight, when a fighter fails it was a terrible move.
          You articulated exactly what I was feeling reading through this thread. Hindsight is 20/20 and people always seem to make excuses after the fact. I remember people on this forum praising Kell just for taking the fight with Golovkin saying that they wished more boxers would take similar risks. After it is proven that taking certain risks can ruin someone's career everyone wants to turn around and say it was a "stupid move."

Comment

It's stupid after the fact, if he had won it would've looked like a genius move. It's happened many times before him and others succeeded. He failed, so yea in hindsight it was stupid. Khan going up to fight Canelo was also stupid. Jones going up to fight Ruiz was smart, Hopkins vs Tarver was smart, Pac-DLH was smart, Guerrero vs Aydin was smart. When the fighter succeeds, it's their career defining fight, when a fighter fails it was a terrible move.
            There were plenty that thought the move was unwise going in for Brook and would hurt him long term especially if he was going to try and drop back to 147. Then I remember he was putting on muscle for Golovkin bragging about it, which would also make a drop back down difficult.

Then to fight a guy like Spence who is young, relentless and has excellent offensive capabilities in short the sort of guy who is going to put everything to the test that could be a problem.

I would say there was plenty of foresight going on and not just hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
              You articulated exactly what I was feeling reading through this thread. Hindsight is 20/20 and people always seem to make excuses after the fact. I remember people on this forum praising Kell just for taking the fight with Golovkin saying that they wished more boxers would take similar risks. After it is proven that taking certain risks can ruin someone's career everyone wants to turn around and say it was a "stupid move."
              Trust me. Many thought the fight was ****ing stupid, especially after Khan getting bombed out just weeks earlier in a similar move.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
                I don't think he would've quit. I think he would've fought to a losing decision but his mind was telling him to quit because of the GGG eye damage.

Like I said in the OP, it's not an excuse because Errol would've gassed out Brook the same because he was working that body all fight and it paid off. Eye issues or not he would've gassed hard still so I agree to a point but I just feel Brook wouldn't have quit the way he did.
                I would have agreed if it was the same eye. Also you could make the argument that it was his corner that stopped the fight against Golovkin and not him. This time it was his decision. Ask yourself, why was he so eager to continue fighting Golovkin but decided he had enough tonight?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, those mismatch catch-weights fights shouldn't happen

Comment

agreed. i said at the time and after that Hearn had cashed his fighter out at the expensive of his career.

Comment

Khan and Brook, they didn't even ask for catch weights. And fought the best fighters in their weight class, also in their primes. That's what I think was really really stupid. Wreckless.

Pac DLH, DLH coming way down after years, old and faded. But you are right, at the time it was viewed as very risky. But the GGG and Canelo fight was really dumb, unless they at least got them to come down in weight a little to make it an even fight at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X