Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Coldwell Fears Kell Brook Will Suffer Same Fate as Roy Jones Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Coldwell Fears Kell Brook Will Suffer Same Fate as Roy Jones Jr.

Veteran trainer Dave Coldwell has a realistic fear that IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook could end up like Roy Jones Jr. on Saturday night. In 2013, Jones was the undisputed light heavyweight champion and made a decision to move up by 25-pounds to the heavyweight division. The dangerous gamble paid off, as he pulled off a historic feat by capturing the WBA world title from John Ruiz.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I said this a few days ago. Roy Jones & Chris Byrd dropping down 2 weight classes. The punches were coming faster & they simply did not have the reaction time. I will add this isn't going from HW to light HW but still Brook put on weight & jumped 2 weight classess & we will see how he handles it. My money is on Spence winning because of it...

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      I said this a few days ago. Roy Jones & Chris Byrd dropping down 2 weight classes. The punches were coming faster & they simply did not have the reaction time. I will add this isn't going from HW to light HW but still Brook put on weight & jumped 2 weight classess & we will see how he handles it. My money is on Spence winning because of it...
      I agree, plus add the injury that he suffered. Brook has a lot against him on this one.

Comment

I think I can see a difference? Was Roy Jones walking around at 220 and then squeezing down to 175 for fights?
        Because that is what Brook was doing before he went up to fight GGG.

All that happened with Brook was that he didn't have to come down so far as normal to make 160. Plus the training would have been more oriented toward strength.

This latest fight he has had to lose some of that muscle but not excessively so. He doesn't look gaunt like Chavez. He still looks superbly conditioned.

Regards reaction time? We'll know after 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomadic View Post
          I agree, plus add the injury that he suffered. Brook has a lot against him on this one.
          It is something to worry about for Brook fans. But there are differences between what Kell is doing and what RJJ and Byrd did.

With Byrd, I think it was a case of his style not working for him at LHW because he no longer had the speed advantage he'd been accustomed to at HW.

RJJ used steroids to pile on muscle to a weight that wasn't natural for his body, then had to strip all that muscle mass off again. Brook didn't go up to a weight that wasn't natural for him when he fought GGG, he just didn't need to lose as much to make 160 as he does to make 147.

So Kell isn't doing anything now that he hasn't done before. But he's 31 yo, and that's the kind of age when fighters start to suffer making weights they could do without any problems in their 20's.

Comment

The excuses are already flowing like water...

Comment

I don't think so Jones put on 25 pounds of Muscle using steroids

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                Veteran trainer Dave Coldwell has a realistic fear that IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook could end up like Roy Jones Jr. on Saturday night. In 2013, Jones was the undisputed light heavyweight champion and made a decision to move up by 25-pounds to the heavyweight division. The dangerous gamble paid off, as he pulled off a historic feat by capturing the WBA world title from John Ruiz.
                [Click Here To Read More]
                ... Coldwell has a good point...

(... RJJr was the undisputed light heavyweight champion at the end of 2002... and not 2013... of course...)

Comment

I have said thie exact same thing many times on this board.

Comment

It doesn't make any difference.

Brook is always big. He always drains down for the weigh-in.

Against GGG he didn't have to.

Spence will beat any version of Brook all day.

Nothing to see here. Just excuses. Move onto another thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X