Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Bums" of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only really use this term for the type of journeyman who doesn't even fight back, like old Kevin Johnson

Comment

I hate the term bum used towards any fighter, even ones I really dislike or hate. It takes a certain level of discipline, commitment and heart to step into a boxing ring and compete as a fighter. I respect that of ALL fighters. As much as I hate guys like Floyd, Stevenson, or Fury I would never refer to them as bums. I will criticize their fighting styles, choice of opponents, character in and out of the ring, etc.

But, if I had to answer someone with what constitutes a bum, I guess a fighter who lacks discipline and doesn't take the sport seriously. Someone who is lazy and doesn't bother to make weight, fights well beneath his skill level, is a dirty fighter, or a coward who refuses to defend his title. Even then, I don't like the term. Unfortunately sports writers of a bygone era made the term popular, and guys like Ali used it frequently to describe his opponents. But it is an overused term and one that should NEVER be used by someone who has never even stepped into a boxing ring to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
        This word seems to be thrown around quite a bit on this board regarding certain fighters and I am curious as to what constitutes a fighter falling Into this category. These guys get medically cleared, go through grueling 8-12 week training camps, take fights on a few days notice and make sacrifices that most could not even comprehend. So, what makes them bums? Just curious.
        Bum is a harsh word to use especially coming from people that have never even set foot in a gym. BUT if I had to define a bum itd be a fighter that just doesnt show up for nothing more than a paycheck. To me that basically means the guy has no love for the sport or his/her fans. I understand boxing is a business but its the fans that pay...

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
          Thanks for the response, I can see where you are coming from. Every other thread anymore seems to label certain boxers "bums" and It seems like they are using the fighters record or there personal dislike of the fighter to come to the "bum" conclusion.
          That's exactly what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
            Dont ever give up on your dreams...

Nah I got diabetes which would effect my training and I bruise easy

Otherwise sure I'd go for it and I don't mean to brag but I'd most likely obliterate anything in my path

And anyway I've just really found it a lot easier telling boxers how boxing should be done from my keyboard...there's also less risk of getting knocked out so that's always a bonus

Comment

A bum is just a fighter who isn't very good. I'm not PC. So I love it. And most bums don't put in the time you speak of. The heavyweights have always been loaded with them since they don't have to make weight. Many fight like they haven't trained in well, maybe ever. Do they deserve to get slammed? Yes. If a coworker shows up unprepared, you'd slam them, too and do they deserve it? Yes. This is the hurt game. Not time for hurt feelings. You don't want to be a bum? Put in some honest effort. Odds are it will show. If that doesn't work, find another profession. Just about any job is better than getting hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Nah I got diabetes which would effect my training and I bruise easy

Otherwise sure I'd go for it and I don't mean to brag but I'd most likely obliterate anything in my path

And anyway I've just really found it a lot easier telling boxers how boxing should be done from my keyboard...there's also less risk of getting knocked out so that's always a bonus
                Keyboard training is 3 basic moves...walk forward...throw punches... dont fall down

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                  I only really use this term for the type of journeyman who doesn't even fight back, like old Kevin Johnson
                  Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
                    I try not to throw it around too loosely. I usually use it for guys who are exceptionally unskilled or undisciplined. Basically if it is someone who is wasting their time and everyone else's time being half ass at anything, boxing or otherwise. Doesn't have anything to do with wins versus losses for me.

I don't respect stepping into the ring as much as I respect discipline and craft.

Hmmm...........sounds like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Time View Post
                      Hmmm...........sounds like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Lol

He must have put some work in somewhere along the line. Definitely a bum the night he fought Canelo.

The crazy thing is that he actually got some good wins (albeit coming into the ring a weight class or two above his opponents).

Comment

Working...
                      X