No announcement yet.

The "Bums" of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Bums" of boxing

This word seems to be thrown around quite a bit on this board regarding certain fighters and I am curious as to what constitutes a fighter falling Into this category. These guys get medically cleared, go through grueling 8-12 week training camps, take fights on a few days notice and make sacrifices that most could not even comprehend. So, what makes them bums? Just curious.

I try not to throw it around too loosely. I usually use it for guys who are exceptionally unskilled or undisciplined. Basically if it is someone who is wasting their time and everyone else's time being half ass at anything, boxing or otherwise. Doesn't have anything to do with wins versus losses for me.

I don't respect stepping into the ring as much as I respect discipline and craft.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
      I try not to throw it around too loosely. I usually use it for guys who are exceptionally unskilled or undisciplined. Basically if it is someone who is wasting their time and everyone else's time being half ass at anything, boxing or otherwise. Doesn't have anything to do with wins versus losses for me.

I don't respect stepping into the ring as much as I respect discipline and craft.
      Thanks for the response, I can see where you are coming from. Every other thread anymore seems to label certain boxers "bums" and It seems like they are using the fighters record or there personal dislike of the fighter to come to the "bum" conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
        This word seems to be thrown around quite a bit on this board regarding certain fighters and I am curious as to what constitutes a fighter falling Into this category. These guys get medically cleared, go through grueling 8-12 week training camps, take fights on a few days notice and make sacrifices that most could not even comprehend. So, what makes them bums? Just curious.
        Best to ignore that ****, man. Dudes around here throw that word around all the time, and yeah I find it disrespectful and just plain lazy, but there ain't much point in arguing that rubbish cos it's generally the intent is to incite a reaction anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Best to ignore that ****, man. Dudes around here throw that word around all the time, and yeah I find it disrespectful and just plain lazy, but there ain't much point in arguing that rubbish cos it's generally the intent is to incite a reaction anyways.
          Excellent post, although It Is not always easy to Ignore, especially when you are seeing and hearing of more and more fighters being killed or living out the rest of there lives(If you want to call It that) In a vegetative state.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
            here's my criteria for a bum

Got hit square with a shot? no defense wide open ass bum
            Ever been down in a fight? Glass jawed bum
            Lose a fight? Shot bum
            Had the smaller purse in a fight? B side bum
            Likes to trade? Come forward brainless brawler bum
            Didn't win impressively? Declining bum

Idk man that's just some of my criteria

Basically I think every fighter ever in history was or is a bum

If I ever got off this computer and trained for a week I'd be the baddest man on the planet

But I don't really feel like it so I'm just gonna tell these fighters how it should be done via keyboard

war bums

Last edited by Mike D; 05-19-2017, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Ever been down in a fight? Glass jawed gum
              Lose a fight? Shot bum

If I ever got off this computer and trained for a week I'd be the baddest man on the planet

But I don't really feel like it so I'm just gonna tell these fighters how it should be done via keyboard

war bums

LOL, I think you have this site completely figured out. Gonna be hard to top this post.

Comment

BUM......

Has nothing to do with skill level.
                Has nothing to do with their ability to take a punch!

It does however explain "effort" and "willingness".

Great fighters will put in a "bum" performance from time to time.
                Ali vs Spinks 1 was a bum performance by Ali, he trainined to make a decent weight but thought he'd breeze by the inexperienced and smaller Spinks. He forgot that Spinks was a Gold Medalists, a USA Marine and the National Champion who didn't give a damn about Ali's mythical past!

Bum is a performance not an individual. However we have had "trial horses and professional "opponents" since boxing began. I think fans use the expression "bum" for them.

Funny how people who have never worked in a profession think they know the terminology used with in the business. Do you think there are some "bum fans" who
                just aren't up to par with other fans?

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  BUM......

Has nothing to do with skill level.
                  Has nothing to do with their ability to take a punch!

It does however explain "effort" and "willingness".

Great fighters will put in a "bum" performance from time to time.
                  Ali vs Spinks 1 was a bum performance by Ali, he trainined to make a decent weight but thought he'd breeze by the inexperienced and smaller Spinks. He forgot that Spinks was a Gold Medalists, a USA Marine and the National Champion who didn't give a damn about Ali's mythical past!

Bum is a performance not an individual. However we have had "trial horses and professional "opponents" since boxing began. I think fans use the expression "bum" for them.

Funny how people who have never worked in a profession think they know the terminology used with in the business. Do you think there are some "bum fans" who
                  just aren't up to par with other fans?

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Ever been down in a fight? Glass jawed bum
                    Lose a fight? Shot bum

war bums

Dont ever give up on your dreams...

Comment

Working...
                    X