No announcement yet.

Why PPv numbers are low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    This is about the closest thing I've seen to a right answer among a sea of bad answers in this thread.

It has nothing to do with Floyd vs Manny. Floyd is about to be in maybe the biggest boxing PPV in history if this Conor thing happens. So is this Floyd & Manny PPV curse just effecting everyone except him lol?

It has nothing to do with streaming. Most people are f#cking stupid with anything technology related. I mean go look at any RBR thread & you'll see a dozen people asking for a stream link a decade(?) or so into streaming online. Shouldn't they know where to find a stream by themselves by now? And most people are dumber about streams then people cruising an online boxing forum about streams I promise you.

I think the biggest illusion is that PPV is some huge thing to begin with.

There have only been 25 PPV's that have had 1M+ buys in the 26ish years PPV boxing has been a regular thing. You know how many of those 25 PPV's didn't have Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield headlining? Zero of them.

You wanna see the top 10 PPV's of all time not involving the magical 5 boxing superstars of Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield? Here's the list (with as consistently accurate numbers as I've found in limited research):

1 (2015) Alvarez vs Cotto 900k
    2 (1993) Foreman vs Morrison 600k
    3 (2003) Jones Jr vs Ruiz 525k
    4 (2012) Martinez vs Chavez Jr 475k
    5 (2016) Alvarez vs Khan 450k (or 600k depending on who you believe)
    6 (2005) Jones Jr vs Tarver II 405k
    7 (2013) Bradley vs Marquez 375k
    8 (2004) Jones Jr vs Tarver 360k
    9 (2014) Alvarez vs Angulo 350k
    10 (2000) Lewis vs Grant 340k

Now tell me who feels bigger than Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield thats around right now? I don't see that guy yet. I only see 1M+ PPV buy potential in guys like Joshua & Canelo right now. And everyone else is a solid force & enter the non-superstar PPV top ten of all time with 340,001 PPV buys.
    Good post.

Some people don't realize how hard it is to do 1 mill ppv buys consistently.

Even in the UFC, besides rousey and mcgregor how many fighters are doing 1 mill ppv buys.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      Did you just start watching boxing? Do you know how many horrible big PPV fights supposedly killed the sport? Tyson-Holyfield 2, De La Hoya-Trinidad, etc.

The fights that are on PPV these days involve boxers who don't belong on there or fights that don't belong on there. It's really that simple.
      This is about the closest thing I've seen to a right answer among a sea of bad answers in this thread.

It has nothing to do with Floyd vs Manny. Floyd is about to be in maybe the biggest boxing PPV in history if this Conor thing happens. So is this Floyd & Manny PPV curse just effecting everyone except him lol?

It has nothing to do with streaming. Most people are f#cking stupid with anything technology related. I mean go look at any RBR thread & you'll see a dozen people asking for a stream link a decade(?) or so into streaming online. Shouldn't they know where to find a stream by themselves by now? And most people are dumber about streams then people cruising an online boxing forum about streams I promise you.

I think the biggest illusion is that PPV is some huge thing to begin with.

There have only been 25 PPV's that have had 1M+ buys in the 26ish years PPV boxing has been a regular thing. You know how many of those 25 PPV's didn't have Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield headlining? Zero of them.

You wanna see the top 10 PPV's of all time not involving the magical 5 boxing superstars of Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield? Here's the list (with as consistently accurate numbers as I've found in limited research):

1 (2015) Alvarez vs Cotto 900k
      2 (1993) Foreman vs Morrison 600k
      3 (2003) Jones Jr vs Ruiz 525k
      4 (2012) Martinez vs Chavez Jr 475k
      5 (2016) Alvarez vs Khan 450k (or 600k depending on who you believe)
      6 (2005) Jones Jr vs Tarver II 405k
      7 (2013) Bradley vs Marquez 375k
      8 (2004) Jones Jr vs Tarver 360k
      9 (2014) Alvarez vs Angulo 350k
      10 (2000) Lewis vs Grant 340k

Now tell me who feels bigger than Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield thats around right now? I don't see that guy yet. I only see 1M+ PPV buy potential in guys like Joshua & Canelo right now. And everyone else is a solid force & enter the non-superstar PPV top ten of all time with 340,001 PPV buys.

Roy Jones was the FOTD of the 90s/#1 p4p and he couldn't 1 mill ppv buys

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
        Good post.

Some people don't realize how hard it is to do 1 mill ppv buys consistently.

Even in the UFC, besides rousey and mcgregor how many fighters are doing 1 mill ppv buys.
        UFC PPV's that have done 1M+ Buys

1. Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz II 1.65M (2016)
        2. Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir II 1.6M (2009)
        3. Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz 1.3M (2016)
        3. Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez 1.3M (2016)
        5. Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin 1.16M (2010)
        6. Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm 1.1M (2015)
        6. Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes 1.1M (2016)
        8. Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz II 1.05M (2006)
        8. Rashad Evans vs Quinton Jackson 1.05M (2010)
        8. Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez 1.05M (2010)
        11. Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman 1.02M (2013)
        11. Conor McGregor vs Jose Aldo 1.02 (2015)
        13. Brock Lesnar vs Randy Couture 1.01M (2008)
        14. Rashad Evans vs Forrest Griffin 1.0M (2008)
        14. Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunes 1.0M (2016)

Comment

Thanks for the numbers

U legitimately have to be a superstar to do 1 mill ppv buys consistently

Comment

So there were years where they didn't do 1 mill ppv buys

Comment

Because you can have great quality live streaming for 5 dollars.
              This is the new age and box promoters seem to be as stupid as the music industry was.

If I was them I would use my resources and instead of charging 50-60 dollars a bout I would stream for 5-10 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
                I scored Floyd/Pac 118-110. so yeah it was a "dud"..a dud from Pacquiao. Floyd was the same fighter we've seen for 20 years. Manny and Roach kept saying in the media they were gonna jump on Floyd from round 1. after eating one right hand Manny said to hell with that and began to second guess himself.

but honestly fans were more pissed off with what happened after the fight. the endless excuses from Pacquiao & the revelation of an "injury". fans were upset because had this "injury" been revealed beforehand they would've saved $100 on the PPV.

anybody blaming Floyd for lack of action doesn't know boxing. if you're going to purchase a product you must know what it is you're getting into. everybody knew Floyd is no KO artist. the guy who was supposed to bring the "action" was Pacquiao, he chose to play chess instead and got washed.

but with saying all that the reality is throughout the history of PPV there's only been a handful of stars that do great numbers. Tyson, Oscar, Floyd and Pacquiao. that's it. Roy Jones was the goat of the 90's and he never became no PPV megastar.

so it's not a knock on a fighters legacy if he doesn't become a PPV star. too many fans get too caught up in that. but if I was a promoter and wanted to build a PPV attraction I would take my fighter to the UK and build his brand there. fans there are way more passionate and dedicated to the sport.

And Holyfield

Comment

There are alot of valid reasons that other people have already brought up but one that I haven't seen is the scorecard for the Pac vs Floyd fight

The majority of fans thought that Pac won, you can hear it in the crowd after the final bell. Alot of fans saw how corrupt boxing can be and were turned off from the sport.

I had it 8-4 for Pac and didn't find the fight boring at all. It was one of the best defensive fights from both fighters I've ever seen. I would pay for a rematch but the window is closing and no one will care about a rematch in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                    There are alot of valid reasons that other people have already brought up but one that I haven't seen is the scorecard for the Pac vs Floyd fight

The majority of fans thought that Pac won, you can hear it in the crowd after the final bell. Alot of fans saw how corrupt boxing can be and were turned off from the sport.

I had it 8-4 for Pac and didn't find the fight boring at all. It was one of the best defensive fights from both fighters I've ever seen. I would pay for a rematch but the window is closing and no one will care about a rematch in 2018
                    8-4 bwahahhaa

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                      So there were years where they didn't do 1 mill ppv buys
                      Yea there's been cold streaks in MMA too.

There was just shy of 2yrs from the UFC's 1st 1M+ PPV in 2006 to their 2nd in 2008.

There was a nearly 3 year gap between 2010-2013.

And there was a nearly 2 year gap between 2013 & sh^t going nuts in 2015.

The UFC got 7 of their 15 1M+ buy PPV's during a 13 month period between Nov. 2015 to Dec. 2016.

In comparison boxings most prolific period was when Tyson came back in 1995 & he had 4 1M+ PPV's in a 15 month period. And if Canelo vs Chavez doesn't hit 1M+ next month it'll have been 2 years since we've had a 1M+ buy PPV.

Comment

Working...
                      X