Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why PPv numbers are low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody is interesting and worth paying for honestly! A lot of boxing fans are fuking DELUSIONAL they have somehow convinced themselves that their favorite fighter is this BIG SUPERSTAR when in actuality he is NOT!

Biggest Superstar in boxing Based on numbers you could argue is Anthony Joshua based on PPV Sales and Crowds he draw. Regardless if PPV's and Tickets are Cheaper in the UK it is not a fighter who fight in the States that can Draw anything close to 90K even if they gave out Tickets for Free

Boxing Fans today enjoy COMPLAINING than they do the actual fights as well. So if the Fans are negative about the sport they claim to be fans of then naturally Casuals will join in and be just as negative if not MORE Negative

So numbers will continue to fall and you know what, I'm GLAD it will because I do think promoters and fighters have gotten greedy so when the money dries up it will be interesting to see how things play out in the sport. Also would mind seeing some of these Promoters go away, too many TAKERS and not enough GIVERS in the sport. Lack of unity between Promoters making matches difficult to make also is a major problem.
    Last edited by sicko; 03-25-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
      Its an obvious answer I think. Everything has been down hill ever since the Pac vs Floyd fight. It had a chance to really bring the fans in, but was a complete dud and really turned potential new fans away from the sport. I mean, the fight was watched by soo many people world wide, it was going to play a huge role in the future of the sports audience. I know the Canelo vs Cotto fight did great numbers as well, but that honestly had more to do with Puerto Rico and Mexico always supporting their fighters, and add the casual/ hardcore boxing fans to that already high number. But ever since then, its been weak. Anyone else have a reason?
      Because Pac vs Floyd damn near killed boxing. You had all these people talking about how the fight not happening was bad for boxing, but the fight happened, and the fight sucked, add to that, the decision was questionable in many peoples eyes. Take into account also that is cost $100 with a ****ty undercard. Who in their right mind would ever buy a PPV again? If they want PPV buys to go up, the price needs to be lowered significantly. Say 25 to 30 bucks. Nobody is buying that **** anymore for 60 or 70 bucks.

Comment

One word:

S T R E A M S

Prices for PPV fights are ******ed and the streams quality is so good right now (compared to a few years ago). Literally 0 reason to pay 60+ dollars for a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
          One word:

S T R E A M S

Prices for PPV fights are ******ed and the streams quality is so good right now (compared to a few years ago). Literally 0 reason to pay 60+ dollars for a fight.
          ^This. Even back when they had analog cable, I had that "black box" which got all the channels free LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
            Because Pac vs Floyd damn near killed boxing. You had all these people talking about how the fight not happening was bad for boxing, but the fight happened, and the fight sucked, add to that, the decision was questionable in many peoples eyes. Take into account also that is cost $100 with a ****ty undercard. Who in their right mind would ever buy a PPV again? If they want PPV buys to go up, the price needs to be lowered significantly. Say 25 to 30 bucks. Nobody is buying that **** anymore for 60 or 70 bucks.
            Did you just start watching boxing? Do you know how many horrible big PPV fights supposedly killed the sport? Tyson-Holyfield 2, De La Hoya-Trinidad, etc.

The fights that are on PPV these days involve boxers who don't belong on there or fights that don't belong on there. It's really that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Did you just start watching boxing? Do you know how many horrible big PPV fights supposedly killed the sport? Tyson-Holyfield 2, De La Hoya-Trinidad, etc.

The fights that are on PPV these days involve boxers who don't belong on there or fights that don't belong on there. It's really that simple.
              This.. And streaming... The only fight worth paying for was Ward-Kovalev. I'm lucky that I have a regular bunch of guys that get together and chip in $10 a piece to watch all of them otherwise I'd be streaming as well. These fights are not worth $70!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                Nobody is interesting and worth paying for honestly!
                This is about the closest thing I've seen to a right answer among a sea of bad answers in this thread.

It has nothing to do with Floyd vs Manny. Floyd is about to be in maybe the biggest boxing PPV in history if this Conor thing happens. So is this Floyd & Manny PPV curse just effecting everyone except him lol?

It has nothing to do with streaming. Most people are f#cking stupid with anything technology related. I mean go look at any RBR thread & you'll see a dozen people asking for a stream link a decade(?) or so into streaming online. Shouldn't they know where to find a stream by themselves by now? And most people are dumber about streams then people cruising an online boxing forum about streams I promise you.

I think the biggest illusion is that PPV is some huge thing to begin with.

There have only been 25 PPV's that have had 1M+ buys in the 26ish years PPV boxing has been a regular thing. You know how many of those 25 PPV's didn't have Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield headlining? Zero of them.

You wanna see the top 10 PPV's of all time not involving the magical 5 boxing superstars of Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield? Here's the list (with as consistently accurate numbers as I've found in limited research):

1 (2015) Alvarez vs Cotto 900k
                2 (1993) Foreman vs Morrison 600k
                3 (2003) Jones Jr vs Ruiz 525k
                4 (2012) Martinez vs Chavez Jr 475k
                5 (2016) Alvarez vs Khan 450k (or 600k depending on who you believe)
                6 (2005) Jones Jr vs Tarver II 405k
                7 (2013) Bradley vs Marquez 375k
                8 (2004) Jones Jr vs Tarver 360k
                9 (2014) Alvarez vs Angulo 350k
                10 (2000) Lewis vs Grant 340k

Now tell me who feels bigger than Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield thats around right now? I don't see that guy yet. I only see 1M+ PPV buy potential in guys like Joshua & Canelo right now. And everyone else is a solid force & enter the non-superstar PPV top ten of all time with 340,001 PPV buys.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  This is about the closest thing I've seen to a right answer among a sea of bad answers in this thread.

It has nothing to do with Floyd vs Manny. Floyd is about to be in maybe the biggest boxing PPV in history if this Conor thing happens. So is this Floyd & Manny PPV curse just effecting everyone except him lol?

It has nothing to do with streaming. Most people are f#cking stupid with anything technology related. I mean go look at any RBR thread & you'll see a dozen people asking for a stream link a decade(?) or so into streaming online. Shouldn't they know where to find a stream by themselves by now? And most people are dumber about streams then people cruising an online boxing forum about streams I promise you.

I think the biggest illusion is that PPV is some huge thing to begin with.

There have only been 25 PPV's that have had 1M+ buys in the 26ish years PPV boxing has been a regular thing. You know how many of those 25 PPV's didn't have Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield headlining? Zero of them.

You wanna see the top 10 PPV's of all time not involving the magical 5 boxing superstars of Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield? Here's the list (with as consistently accurate numbers as I've found in limited research):

1 (2015) Alvarez vs Cotto 900k
                  2 (1993) Foreman vs Morrison 600k
                  3 (2003) Jones Jr vs Ruiz 525k
                  4 (2012) Martinez vs Chavez Jr 475k
                  5 (2016) Alvarez vs Khan 450k (or 600k depending on who you believe)
                  6 (2005) Jones Jr vs Tarver II 405k
                  7 (2013) Bradley vs Marquez 375k
                  8 (2004) Jones Jr vs Tarver 360k
                  9 (2014) Alvarez vs Angulo 350k
                  10 (2000) Lewis vs Grant 340k

Now tell me who feels bigger than Floyd, Manny, Oscar, Tyson or Holyfield thats around right now? I don't see that guy yet. I only see 1M+ PPV buy potential in guys like Joshua & Canelo right now. And everyone else is a solid force & enter the non-superstar PPV top ten of all time with 340,001 PPV buys.

Great Post! Another thing too and the biggest mistake boxing is making currently is this trying to Faze Out American Boxers! That is STUPID and I think that is what is just KILLING HBO ratings and PPV Buys! Of course boxing in America will struggle without AMERICANS! That is one thing UFC understands that boxing doesn't. When you have American STARS you can create McGregor and others from different Countries. But with boxing they're trying to REPLACE American Boxing with Foreigners and that will NEVER EVER WORK in America.

Chavez Sr while Popular in American he was NEVER the Draw Mexican AMERICAN Oscar was. The Box Office Numbers don't like, the biggest Ticket Gates and PPV Buys in History ALL Featured an AMERICAN FIGHTER! YES GGG numbers did better with Jacobs because it was a FUKING AMERICAN even though they dropped the ball by not getting him on ESPN to tell his story leading up to the fight. Very likable and well spoken dude those are the guys you suppose to be having out selling the sport but boxing don't do that!
                  Last edited by sicko; 03-25-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
                    Its an obvious answer I think. Everything has been down hill ever since the Pac vs Floyd fight. It had a chance to really bring the fans in, but was a complete dud and really turned potential new fans away from the sport. I mean, the fight was watched by soo many people world wide, it was going to play a huge role in the future of the sports audience. I know the Canelo vs Cotto fight did great numbers as well, but that honestly had more to do with Puerto Rico and Mexico always supporting their fighters, and add the casual/ hardcore boxing fans to that already high number. But ever since then, its been weak. Anyone else have a reason?
                    They're not entertaining. For example, Linares vs Crolla tonight on Sky was free to air if you had a subscription to Sky Sports. First fight was dull, second was amazing and a big upset followed by a decent fight by Katie Tayloe and then a middleweight clash that bored me silly and then the main event which was pretty one sided and not as hyped. BUT it was free and worth watching. If you'd asked for people to pay the usual going fee for a PPV (£30 in UK) they would have been disappointed. PPV is a failed business model, takes into account how big a title fight is but doesn't take into account the entertainment factor.

Free to Air should be brought back for all fights except for major fights and only if they've established themselves on the free TV. I liked the old ITV route, when British boxers built a fan base according to how well they did and how watchable they were before migrating to HBO and Sky Box Office (e.g. Naseem Hamed, Calazaghe, Eubank, Lennox).

Comment

Canelo-Khan did surprisingly well for such a huge mismatch.

Promotion plays a huge part in it.

Comment

Working...
                      X