No announcement yet.

Why PPv numbers are low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why PPv numbers are low

Its an obvious answer I think. Everything has been down hill ever since the Pac vs Floyd fight. It had a chance to really bring the fans in, but was a complete dud and really turned potential new fans away from the sport. I mean, the fight was watched by soo many people world wide, it was going to play a huge role in the future of the sports audience. I know the Canelo vs Cotto fight did great numbers as well, but that honestly had more to do with Puerto Rico and Mexico always supporting their fighters, and add the casual/ hardcore boxing fans to that already high number. But ever since then, its been weak. Anyone else have a reason?

I disagree because boxing matches vary in pace. If a fan is lured in by a fast paced fight, they will be disappointed because that's not boxing and never has been. A week later, when they see a more normal paced boxing match, they will go back to being casuals.

Mayweather and Pacquiao's celebrity outside of the ring, combined with their accomplishments and an insane level of media coverage made that fight major.

Case in point, 80% of the fans didn't even watch boxing. Many thought Floyd was some knockout artist. They knew of him from his coverage in the media but have rarely seen him fight.

PPVs are flopping now because the fighters are boring personalities outside of the boxing ring. Golovkin vs Jacobs was a fight between 2 respectable gentlemen. **** that. Fans want thugs that bite ears and say they will eat your children. Especially when you lack the cultural backing from your hometown.

Comment

The model is broke and outdated.
      Boxing is not as popular in the US as it used to be.
      When something is popular and mainstream people gather to watch.
      But with boxings decline in popularity the average person will not pay 60-70 bucks to watch a fight.
      It doesn't help that when the big fights finally happen, they don't live up to the hype.

When big fights happens and they are available to the average joe, Joe will watch.
      Thurman Garcia did very well on free TV.
      Also promotion is very important.
      The last two PPV fights had awful promotion. Kovalev vs Ward & Golovkin vs Jacobs.

Comment

These guys have no personality, Ward-Kovalev could have easily broke 350K with smart promoting, they could have billed it as USA vs Russia the modern day Rocky IV, but they didn't do that, Jacobs could have went to Golovkin-Brook and jumped in the ring to confront Golovkin, like Fury did to Wilder, but they didn't do that, unless you're Mayweather, Pacquaio, Canelo, or Cotto you have to try to promote

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          I disagree because boxing matches vary in pace. If a fan is lured in by a fast paced fight, they will be disappointed because that's not boxing and never has been. A week later, when they see a more normal paced boxing match, they will go back to being casuals.

Mayweather and Pacquiao's celebrity outside of the ring, combined with their accomplishments and an insane level of media coverage made that fight major.

Case in point, 80% of the fans didn't even watch boxing. Many thought Floyd was some knockout artist. They knew of him from his coverage in the media but have rarely seen him fight.

PPVs are flopping now because the fighters are boring personalities outside of the boxing ring. Golovkin vs Jacobs was a fight between 2 respectable gentlemen. **** that. Fans want thugs that bite ears and say they will eat your children. Especially when you lack the cultural backing from your hometown.
          I can agree with that, all good points. Although I still feel that if the floyd pac fight was more fan friendly as far as action, the ppv numbers wouldnt be as low as they are now. I know many people who's first boxing event was watching pac floyd, and afterwards, all said no mas. I try to lure em back in though, but the event was a disaster as far as the crowds lack of interest, limited offense, ppv price, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandur View Post
            The model is broke and outdated.
            Boxing is not as popular in the US as it used to be.
            When something is popular and mainstream people gather to watch.
            But with boxings decline in popularity the average person will not pay 60-70 bucks to watch a fight.
            It doesn't help that when the big fights finally happen, they don't live up to the hype.

When big fights happens and they are available to the average joe, Joe will watch.
            Thurman Garcia did very well on free TV.
            Also promotion is very important.
            The last two PPV fights had awful promotion. Kovalev vs Ward & Golovkin vs Jacobs.
            you are right about the promotions being weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
              These guys have no personality, Ward-Kovalev could have easily broke 350K with smart promoting, they could have billed it as USA vs Russia the modern day Rocky IV, but they didn't do that, Jacobs could have went to Golovkin-Brook and jumped in the ring to confront Golovkin, like Fury did to Wilder, but they didn't do that, unless you're Mayweather, Pacquaio, Canelo, or Cotto you have to try to promote
              I agree, which is why broners numbers are decent.

Comment

no relevant personalities in boxing right now
                prices too high for average fights
                it's become very easy to get high quality streams

Comment

The boxing business model is outdated. The boxing industry needs to adapt and make fights available to the real boxing fans. This doesn't necessarily mean putting all fights on free cable.

It means making PPVs more affordable and providing viable means for people who normally stream fights to pay for them.

This might require working around the big networks, but so be it. I'm not sure boxing can last if it keeps doing business they way they're doing it now.

Comment

Originally posted by otrocubiche View Post
                    no relevant personalities in boxing right now
                    prices too high for average fights
                    it's become very easy to get high quality streams
                    Thats true i noticed some people on instagram stream the ppvs live. I saw that during the jacobs ggg fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X