No announcement yet.

Any news on Rigo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Guillermo Rigondeaux, in order to make a watchable fight, needs an opponent open and willing to bring the fight to him (where his ability to slip the shot, land on the counter, and his other tools can get highlighted). If the opponent isn't going to bring the fight, Rigondeaux has no problem with slicking the fight from range and cruising to a decision.

As a top promoter, it was on Bob Arum to see what he had, and figure out a package to sell. The Rigondeaux-Amagasa fight was a quasi-acknowledgement of what was in hand; not really a top-level guy, but he came to fight, wasn't afraid to come forward, made a fight of it, but was simply undone by Rigo's ability level.

Arum should've put Rigo on the road, sending him to wherever there was a fighter willing to fight him, bring HBO along where possible, work with other promoters to stage the fights, hope that Rigo's ability keeps him racking up wins, and have Top Rank make their own money on the back-end (Rigondeaux is currently 10 defenses into his run with the WBA belt, a figure that likely could've been up to 13/14 defenses, were Top Rank had not shelved him).

Rigo's style is going to be his style, but if Top Rank had sent him around, Bob Arum would be able to come back to HBO with the "We've got the best fighter on the planet, and he's closing in on having the most successful title defenses ever" arc.
    That's what I've been saying all along. Arum was full of ****, there were guys wanting to fight Rigs. Roc Nation is similarly squandering what is left of Rigs career though.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
      I don't even think dan is even a fan anymore.

I don't get brainwashed by anything. It's always easier to blame others rather than yourself and that's what you/Rigo are doing, blaming others.

Except Floyd had potential and smart enough to know what he was doing. Rigo is as dumb as he looks. Look at that dude's damit305 sig...
      You are brainwashed, your in denial. You right though Rigo is stupid for being on the wrong team...hope he'll change his team...

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
        You are brainwashed, your in denial. You right though Rigo is stupid for being on the wrong team...hope he'll change his team...
        I'm gonna let you in on a little secret cause I really dunno you and I don't want any problems with you, I'm Cuban and I actually enjoy Rigo. I was just messing around.

That being said, I don't blame Arum and the media 100% for whatever smear campaign they ran. Rigo was also at fault for not performing when he needed to.

Also, there's a common trend with Cuban fighters. They normally end up in some managerial/promotional rift and it's most likely cause they aren't familiar with the system and since they come from poverty and most likely are just quick to sign the dotted line without any knowledge. So I don't think he's stupid. Just not knowledgeable enough.

Comment

Rigo is out somewhere getting boo'd.

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
            Arum didn't match Rigondeaux in a manner that would build him up to the boxing audience. Anybody with half a brain knows that matching him with face first Latin fighters like Montiel, Arce, types etc. can easily build a guy up, when he KO's them spectacularly. Ask Nonito Donaire. Arum preferred to save those types for the already established Donaire, to try and build him up instead though. If you look at how Arum matched Rigondeaux, you see that Arum made no attempt to match him with Arce, Montiel, or any other type of face first Latin guy his size he could look spectacular against. Instead you see weird match ups like 5'3 Rigs vs 5'8 awkward Cordoba, or 5'8 Marroquin as a short notice fight when Rigs hasn't even been in camp. Rico Ramos, an at the time undefeated, and slick guy. Joseph Agbeko, an iron chinned Awkward Ghanian, with good defense. You don't match someone like that, if you are trying to build them up. You match them with whatever ranked face first latin guy you can find, Mexican preferably.

Except Arum offered them Chris Avalos, but they turned it down in favor of Agbeko

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              Except Arum offered them Chris Avalos, but they turned it down in favor of Agbeko
              We can discuss without you lying.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.badle...rmo-rigondeaux

Comment

"put Rigo in against face first brawlers with no defense so he can look good."

I hope this guy is part of Rigos camp talking this dumb sht.

Rigo vs Cordoba. he had a face first brawler he could hit at will, a guy so damn slow he makes Angulo look like Ray Leonard. and what did Rigo do? run his a.ss off for no damn reason.

Emmanuel Steward tried to defend it saying Rigo fights like its the amateurs where guys rack up points, get a comfortable lead then run to the final bell. fans were booing crazy and Rigo could care less.

Cordoba was tailor made for Rigo to beat the soul out of him. he simply couldn't touch or time him. but instead he chose to stink up the place. when you have an opponent you can punish whenever you feel like it and you cruise to victory without closing the show you need to get boo'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Guillermo Rigondeaux, in order to make a watchable fight, needs an opponent open and willing to bring the fight to him (where his ability to slip the shot, land on the counter, and his other tools can get highlighted). If the opponent isn't going to bring the fight, Rigondeaux has no problem with slicking the fight from range and cruising to a decision.

As a top promoter, it was on Bob Arum to see what he had, and figure out a package to sell. The Rigondeaux-Amagasa fight was a quasi-acknowledgement of what was in hand; not really a top-level guy, but he came to fight, wasn't afraid to come forward, made a fight of it, but was simply undone by Rigo's ability level.

Arum should've put Rigo on the road, sending him to wherever there was a fighter willing to fight him, bring HBO along where possible, work with other promoters to stage the fights, hope that Rigo's ability keeps him racking up wins, and have Top Rank make their own money on the back-end (Rigondeaux is currently 10 defenses into his run with the WBA belt, a figure that likely could've been up to 13/14 defenses, were Top Rank had not shelved him).

Rigo's style is going to be his style, but if Top Rank had sent him around, Bob Arum would be able to come back to HBO with the "We've got the best fighter on the planet, and he's closing in on having the most successful title defenses ever" arc.
                  here's the thing though, bob has been matching him up with b level fighters, so shouldnt that make it easier for him to put on a good show then?

Comment

Past tense. I'm speaking about how Arum handled him when he was signed to Top Rank. Most of you morons don't even realize that Rigondeaux is 5'2 1/2 to 5'3 max. He has been 122 pounds in the ring for fights also. He is the smallest guy in his division. Rigondeaux has no problem beating whoever he is put in with. But when you put a 5'3 guy in with a 5'8 guy who is akward, you can't expect the 5'3 guy to look spectacular, when he is fighting at a 5 inch height disadvantage, reach disadvantage, and weight disadvantage. The guys closer to his size that he faces he usually destroys. The bigger guys, may go some rounds or the distance.

I think Arum had some type of hatred for Rigondeaux. Why else would he trash his fighter, after Rigondeaux put on the boxing clinic of the year, giving Donaire, the pumpkin face, and a busted eye socked. Bob Arum was acting like a straight up ***** after the fight. Claiming Rigondeaux ran, and made it boring or whatever. Rigondeaux stood in front of the Donaire most of the fight. Arum should have sent his angst towards Donaire, for being made to look so amateurish.
                    that's what im saying. when rigo was with arum, was arum matching rigo up with hard tough opponents? no, he was giving rigo the easy one and rigo still stunk up the place.

Comment

Your trolling doesn't even make sense. It probably ruined your day when Rigs gave Donaire the pumpkin face.
                      you cant even come up with a reply to what i said because you know its true. if bob has been matching rigo up with crap opponents then it should be easy for rigo to put on a good show and finish the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X