No announcement yet.

Has Lemieux surpassed Murray?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
    Murray would obviously have spanked Lemieux earlier, as Lemieux was losing left and right to random guys like Alcine, Golovkin and Rubio. He was not just a victim, but a victim of the Golovkin victims. Now, he did KO Stevens and it looked like he is finally starting to evolve as a fighter. I am starting to think that he may actually be better than Murray now, but I'm not sure if I would go that far for beating Stevens. What do you think?
    Come on, really?

Comment

Murray would obviously have spanked Lemieux earlier, as Lemieux was losing left and right to random guys like Alcine, Golovkin and Rubio. He was not just a victim, but a victim of the Golovkin victims. Now, he did KO Stevens and it looked like he is finally starting to evolve as a fighter. I am starting to think that he may actually be better than Murray now, but I'm not sure if I would go that far for beating Stevens. What do you think?
      Your wording that Lemieux was losing left and right to random guys is unfair and misleading. GGG isn't some random guy. He knocks out everybody including Murray. Alcine and Rubio are the ONLY other loses on his record. He has improved tremendously since losing to Rubio. He has looked good long before he KOed Stevens. Murray is a decent fighter but he has never been a champion. Lemieux past him by long ago when he became a world champion. Right now most would rate him above Murray.

Comment

hard to say who was better, two terrific fighters.

Comment

Murray is OK, but no wins at the elite level. Lemieux would stop him w/o a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            Murray is OK, but no wins at the elite level. Lemieux would stop him w/o a doubt.
            Are you kidding, boy?

Neither Groves nor Abraham could KO Murray. Even Golovkin was just barely able to do it. There is no chance in hell that Lemieux stops Murray.

However, after seeing Lemieux's last fight, I'm starting to think that Lemieux maybe would have what it takes to edge Murray by decision. Those dangerous punches would make most guys passive and gunshy. Murray got much better wins though (when looking past robberies).

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
              Why is a win against Rosado even worth mentioning? The guy is a bum, so is Stevens, C class fighter.
              I literally have no idea why they list him as some good win..literally WHO THE HELL HAS HE BEATEN? all i ever see is him getting his ass handed to him

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                Martin Murray peaked against Sergio Martinez. He got robbed against Felix Sturm and he got robbed against Sergio Martinez. No doubt in my mind. Idiots will dispute that fact without seeing the fights. Martin Murray, at 30 years old, should have been WBA Super, WBC and RING magazine Middleweight champion with a record of 27-0 (11 KO). His resume would have boasted wins over Sturm and Martinez in their backyards.

However, he did get robbed. Ever since then he has been in decline. He has never reached those performance levels since and has looked like trash on several occasions. His career doesn't really have any direction to it now and it appears he's lost the ambition, treats boxing as a source of income now. Could see him being lined up as an opponent for one of the British Super Middleweight champions but he'll just be making up the numbers.
                I like Martin Murray, but I don't know why this myth of him getting robbed against Sturm keeps getting perpetuated. Matt Macklin should have got the nod against Sturm, but Murray was ultimately lucky to be awarded the draw - in fact it may almost be the case that the judges were swayed by not wanting to be seen to favour the home fighter in the aftermath of the Macklin 'loss'.

Problem with Murray is simply that his offense isn't good or sustained enough to win him fights at the world level without favourable judging - he's a tough, sturdy kid, but a high guard with occasional flurries ain't gonna get you wins unless you've got the power to back it up (a la Abraham). OK - he probably should have got the nod against Maravilla, but with hindsight it's very hard to know just how shot Sergio was at that point.

Lemieux or Murray? Probably around the same, resume wise, though H2H I'd probably slightly give David the edge now - though it could get a bit hairy for the Canadian later rounds when he starts to slow down. I think it goes the distance though, Murray's as tough as old boots.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
                  Murray beat sergio martinez
                  Now hold on a minute...do you think murray could have carried sergios boots in sergios prime? The man is saying best murray could beat lemeuix...which is debatable...but it sounds like you are now saying murrays win over serg is some great achievement. Sergio knew his legs were gone and he underestimated murrays tenacity in what was to be a last dance showcase in front of his own people. Had his legs held up and he'd won without controversy...he likely would have retired and we wouldnt have had the cotto bout which was about pride...and which has led to this whole canelo mid/catchweight bullsheet. Simple answer here...sergio will be remembered as a great middleweight champion....martin murray will be an afterthought...lemeiux is yet to be determined.

Comment

Martin Murray is strong, robust but a very simple fighter! and sometimes being simple, can get you really hurt in this game. David Lemieux in my opinion is no master pugilist, in terms of his offensive and defensive creativity but? his punching power is not simple! (He has above average punching power at 160) and that is the difference between the two fighters! David Lemieux's punching power is not simple, to understand or negate. (I also think Martin Murray is drained at 160, none of his main assets such as being robust are enhanced at 160! they are just diminished).....

At 160 David Lemieux wins, but if the fight was made at 168? Martin Murray would win in my opinion, because he won't be drained at the weight, and his main strengths which are his fitness & durability will be enhanced!

Comment

Not sure about that. Martinez would have ****ed Lemieux up.

Comment

Working...
                      X