Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: World Boxing Super Series - Schaefer, Sauerland on Board

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if this can attract the best boxers, sounds great. If not, meh. The TOTAL prize $$ for the entire season is (allegedly) $50 M. I suspect that this $50 M figure is illusory. But if so, that's to be divided bw 14 total main events (28 purses total). What would each final prize be? $6M or $8M or thereabouts? And less for the semis, and quarterfinals.

But who knows, Schaeffer may have deep pockets backing him, and the $50 M is accurate? Hell, Haymon had a bigger fund to rely on, I believe.

Soon as I hear the names being drawn in, maybe I'll get excited.

I'd suggest Supafly as a division, but I doubt theyd be interested in that - wont sell in the US or Europe.

In reality, I could see Jr. Middle as a good division -- lots of young, hungry fighters who would be attracted to that level of $$$. The Canelo level dude -- maybe even GGG - would probably sniff at the prize money -- and at being tied up for up to 3 fights, but the young bloods at 154 might be interested.

Comment

Edit, I see someone worked out the $$, so the final would be (tentatively) $2.5 M w/ a $2M winners bonus. The total to the winner of the tourney would be approx. $8.5 M.

Again, Canelo types, GGG types would def pass on $8.5 for 3 fights. I see also that Jr. Middle is being considered -- that was the first division I thought of - great minds think alike.

Again, I'll withhold judgment, but I HOPE THIS WORKS. Ive been saying that 154 is chock full of good young hungry fighters (Charlo, Hurd, Andrade, Lubin etc) for whom these purses would be attractive.

I would hope that this level of $$ would be enough to get the established studs at 115 (Chocolatito, Inouye, Cuadras, Estrada, etc) to fight one another. But realistically, Schaeffer wont pay that much for small dudes.

Comment

One of the divisions will probably be cruiserweight, because Sauerland is involved and they always have a couple of high ranked Cruiserweights in their stable. Also, these cruiserweight fighters are known to fight each other instead of feasting on bums.
        And because cruiserweight was never really popular, the fighter will probably be really happy with the purses offered.

Popular weightclasses like welterweight, heavyweight and middleweight wont be involved in the tournament probably.
        Lightweight and Jr. Welterweight would be awesome

Comment

in the best interest of the WBSS for fighters to not sign exclusively with any promoter.

haymon has a huge stable of top fighters that aren't signed exclusively with any promoter.

haymon finds the wallstreet money. schaefer finds the swiss bank money.

they're all in cahoots and the take over is almost complete. long term, there's nothing HBO can do to stop them.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
            in the best interest of the WBSS for fighters to not sign exclusively with any promoter.

haymon has a huge stable of top fighters that aren't signed exclusively with any promoter.

haymon finds the wallstreet money. schaefer finds the swiss bank money.

they're all in cahoots and the take over is almost complete. long term, there's nothing HBO can do to stop them.
            That seems clear as day right about now.

Neither HBO, GBP, or TR have anything remotely close the this group of Haymon, Schaefer, and Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
              That only works if the best fighters in the division participate...otherwise it just creates yet another "champion".
              Well...if they have the $$...the pros will join. Cash talks bull**** walks

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
                That seems clear as day right about now.

Neither HBO, GBP, or TR have anything remotely close the this group of Haymon, Schaefer, and Mayweather.
                Yeah, old Bob looks like he's on the outside looking in right now. Oscar was never to be taken serious as a promoter imho. And HBO is closing up shop on boxing.

The boxing world as I've known it my whole life is coming to an end lol

That's what happens when a Swiss banker and Harvard MBA shows up lol and you're right, Mayweather was the key in all of this. He shifted the bargaining power in the sport and made all of this possible.

Jr. Middleweight and Cruiserweight are perfect for this format. Hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                  The boxing world as I've known it my whole life is coming to an end lol
                  Mfing hopefully. The sport has been watered down from day 1 for any fan 40 something or under.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Mfing hopefully. The sport has been watered down from day 1 for any fan 40 something or under.
                    Won't catch me disagreeing with this statement lol

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
                      Why?

Schaefer says that boxers who have promoters aren't excluded from this event...and they'll most likely need boxers with promoters to fill out the 16-fighter fields plus the standby fighters.

These tournaments are only very short period of time of about 8 months and at most 3 fights...and that's just for the 4 fighters who advance to the two finals.

What about the 8 boxers that lose in the first round or the 4 that lose in the second round?

And that's just for the boxers that in the two weight divisions that are chosen to be in the tournament.

Furthermore, it seems like the boxers outside the top 4 are at a real disadvantage, because the top 4 choose their opponents, and perhaps the venue as well.
                      Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 03-10-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X