Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    He did balk right away.

He never signed the contract.
    Did he say anything publicly? Did he say thanks but no thanks? Or did the fight twist in the wind for months?

So no really really didn't balk right away.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Did he say anything publicly? Did he say thanks but no thanks? Or did the fight twist in the wind for months?

So no really really didn't balk right away.

Comment

Lots of guys don't sign the contract until very near the fight, not uncommon.

Comment

• Disappointing because I was planning on attending the fight, but I'm not upset at Sully. risk/reward yo...

62k before taxes and expenses could come out to peanuts (relatively speaking). However, Florida does not have state income tax so there's a bit more money in Sully's pocket.

He wouldn't be the first guy to fight for short money in hopes of being propelled to bigger fights/paydays. and he wouldn't be the first to pass on a fight because of short money. oh well

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            Lots of guys don't sign the contract until very near the fight, not uncommon.
            He balked right away....as would any fighter not starving to death.

Comment

He balked right away....as would any fighter not starving to death.
              Not signing the contract is not enough, all he had to say was not enough money so I am passing. Fair enough.

Fighters are not normal dudes sometimes it requires to do something you don't want to do to get to where you want to go. If you don't get that there is no point in talking to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                There is simply not that much money there for eliminator type fights

Remember when Lemieux and N'Dam fought for a total purse of ~$100k for an actual world title?

$62k for eight to ten weeks' work is not bad. Way above the national average
                Does he have any income apart from boxing. Far as I know he is fighting full time and if he has 2 fights a year to get $50 k take home for potentially having his brains beat out?

I am against fighters refusing to fight for less than a million when they are not champs but on the other hand there should be some way to guarantee a LHW top ten in an eliminator gets at least $50K net.

You guys all *****ing about boxing in a bad way. Fans of american HWs saying that other sports creamed off all the top talent - you can see why when these kind of paydays are what's on offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
                  salido got 50k for vargas he took it with no complaints. barrera knew all along he was getting 62k and was ok with it now all of a sudden his balls shrivel up.
                  Did he ever sign the contract? I think if he was ok with the fight and pay he would have signed the contract. He never did.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeLazcan View Post
                    Exactly, but I think the winning purse bid got 75% according to IBF rule's, but I don't think beterbiev or his team were that confident, barrera had the style and boxing skills to outpoint and make artur look foolish in there
                    I thought you were a disease only in the 24 forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                      It's not so much the $62k but that purse would triple with a win and a shot at Stevenson or Kovalev. That's how boxing works.
                      Ive made this argument in the past but when a fighter is getting paid 'decently'. I don't think 62k even falls under the 'peanuts' category. And Stevenson? I would not bank on that guy facing me if I was Beterbiev OR Barrera. The dude ducks everyone and their mother. Kovalev? Maybe, sure. Stevenson though? Not so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X