Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    I know they moved around the ring but the ymoved and threw punches and looked to take opponents out. watch Ali v Liston or Ali v Lyle or Ali v Frazier. The man moved and fought defensively but if he had you hurt, he would go in there and try and take you out. He also had a massive heart and asked the ref to stop the Lyle fight befoe he put too muc hdamage on hiim.

Guys these days simply move but rarely throw punches at the same time and when they are winning, they dont want to stamp their dominance on an opponent. Its pathetic, its sad and its far from boxing.

Its why more of us should be backing guys like Khan and Bradley.
    I agree but I'm just saying the opponent was also different,ya know..They applied crazy pressure and fought with a relentless style..If i can just simply move amd avoid and win a fight hell why not..It's up to the opponent to make the other fighter pay for his movement..Taylor vs Chavez Leonard vs Hearns Froch vsTaylor etc etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Yeah that's definitely true. I kinda faulted Thurman for getting on his bike...but like you said, cut off the damn ring and force dude to fight. Instead Danny just followed him around aimlessly.
      I agree and I felt Danny would win..Like you said tho he just followed him around and did not make Thuman pay for his movement with body work..

Comment

Bless your heart for being able to be around casuals during a fight. I did it one time and never again will I do it.

I agree with your assessment of the last few rounds.

Comment

Nonetheless, this fight was still far better than the UFC main even that happened the same night, and it didn't cost them a ppv price. I tend to stay away from casuals when it comes to boxing. It's like talking to my girl about basketball or football. She doesn't get it, just like they don't. It's honestly pointless explaining to them why it's a big fight. I can't fault anyone for having a short attention span, especially in a sport like boxing where knockouts are harder to come by at the highest level.

If they want blood, then so be it. This was a really good fight regardless of Thurman boxing, running or whatever anyone wants to say about it. In the NFL, the fans want high scoring games, in the NBA they want the 3's and fast break offenses, in baseball, they want to speed up the game. Every sport has it's casuals that want one thing or another. Boxing is no different. I just won't waste my night watching a big fight with them

Comment

That's casuals for ya

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
              Bless your heart for being able to be around casuals during a fight. I did it one time and never again will I do it.

I agree with your assessment of the last few rounds.

What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
                Made a thread about saturday night as well bro, I haven't made one for the last four years and it was enough to bring me back from oblivion, and only to rant my dissatisfaction.

I was trembling in excitement and all, and I even briefly explained everything too to my girlfriend whom I convinced to postpone doing the laundry so that she can watch with me.

Halfway thru the fight, I can read in her face the "Can I go back to my laundry now?" question lol I was just making it interesting making sounds every time a punch was thrown, even though nothing was really happening.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                  What happened?
                  I watched May-Pac with some buddies that were "SUPER EXCITED" for the fight. So I tell them that I'll be scoring the fight and they decide it's a great idea to do the same. I, of course, have to explain how to actually score rounds. That took a solid 45 minutes.

Before the fight starts, I tell them that I won't be telling them my score until the end so I don't sway their opinion. Mind you, we had to stream the fight (I was in college, no way to buy a PPV on campus) so we have this German stream.

All throughout the fight, I'm hearing their STUPID logic on why they thought Manny/Floyd won that round and this round. One guy was talking about how Karate is more entertaining than boxing. Another dude kept trying to talk about football. It was bad.

When it was all said and done, I scored it 7-5 for Mayweather and they were all shocked. All of them had it either 9-3 or 10-2 for Manny

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                    Great insight but let's be honest.

We both watch a lot of boxing and fights come in various forms. If it was a bloodbath and casuals loved it they would be getting an unrealistic perception of what boxing is about. They will watch next months slow paced fight and be bored and turned away.

You can't get into this sport regularly if you are only entertained by one type of fight.
                    And THIS is what we, the so-called 'hardcore' fans, need to be preaching to casuals we introduce to the sport. Casuals have shown they will tune in for sluggers (Tyson, Pacquaio), warriors (Holyfield), boxer-punchers (ODLH, Canelo), skilled 'flashy' fighters (RJJ, SRL) yes, even boxers (Ali, Mayweather).

But sadly, I mostly see alleged 'hardcore' fans being the main pushers of the rock-em-sock-em robot fights as the only 'exciting' or 'real' boxing. Some of y'all are simply either too dayum lazy (or ignorant themselves) to actually teach and explain the sport to their 'casual' friends.

Casuals and the sport of Boxing itself deserves better advocacy from its fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
                      Part of the problem is most boxing fans are never satisfied. Usually after the knock out, people start to criticize the level of opposition to degrade the fighter's (fill in the blank) accomplishment.

I understand fully why fighters don't try to impress fans.....
                      you talk about Hardcores doe

Comment

Working...
                      X