Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Spence Will Destroy Brook - I'd Love To Promote Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
    So let me ask you this question who made more money between Khan fighting Canelo and Brook fighting GGG?
    I believe it was Khan if I'm wrong I apologize but the reason why I bring that up is HBO stars make more than PBC stars per fight.
    Golden Boy could do the same for Spence because again their looking for elite talent that they can market now instead of them waiting on their prospects to develop.
    The honest answer is that we don't know; Khan's own take was largely driven but what he was able to shop the UK TV rights for, while Brook's take was dependent on what the full event ended up doing (sellout of the O2, interest from the buying public in the fight on Sky Box Office, sponsors, etc) less costs and paying Golovkin his $3m-$4m, of which Brook kept 80%.

Still, not sure what the benefit of comparing two HBO fights to each other is though (while ignoring the fact that both fights had paywalls on them).

Over the last three years, how many million dollar fighters were on HBO, and how many million dollar fighters were on PBC (Showtime/CBS is also in the same basket, but I'll ignore that part for the sake of conversation)?

Alvarez is clearly a PPV fighter; beyond him, there's no other fighter on HBO that is making markedly more money than the fighters with PBC make, though the count of fighters making major money with PBC dwarfs the number of fighters making major money with HBO.

Oscar De La Hoya, imo, has an elite-level talent in Joseph Diaz Jr, yet he's yet to really do much of anything to help move him along. imagine how even more inept he'd look if it was on him to now try to move Errol Spence Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
      Hold on...why don't you let the guy fight an upper tier fighter before hopping all over his jock? I like Spence, but the jury is still out on him, and a win over Algeri doesn't quite put him in the "better than hearts and Duran" category. We also don't know what kind of fighter Brooklyn will be at 147 after going up and then having to come down again. That has a history of really adversely affecting fighters.
      The person who made that post is probably a closet Spence hater tryna make it look like his fans are the ones spewing all this garbage.

I know it sounds absurd but absurdity is the norm in this forum I've come to learn. There was even a time Golovtards were making GGG hate threads under alt accounts to make it look like Golovkin 'GGG haters' were going mad with jealousy.

There are a lot of mad people here, so read a post carefully before responding.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammer View Post
        Golden Boy has Canelo AFTER Shaeffer built him; Oscar wasn't in charge for that.

GB and Haymon only work together on PPVs for Canelo, Haymon would be a fool not to. They are hardly coworkers when one side considers the other a "Black Hitler".

Haymon has a better chance of convincing TR to make a deal on one of those fights considering he has other WWs for bargaining and a 140+ Broner for Crawford; GB has nothing

Lastly Jo Jo Diaz is B and/or cheap A. Spence isn't. Spence has a 6 million viewed fight and is considered the next big thing. HBO will have to pay, unlike they have to with Diaz. Why again would he trust anything to an addict at this point?
        Look Schaefer was a chapter of building Canelo but it gets really old when fans keep saying he built Canelo. If Canelo felt that strong about the situation he would have left Golden Boy a long time ago when the split happened between both parties.

In regards to the Black Hitler comment I don't believe that Oscar or any of his top advisors said that. It was a ignerite person who wrote those trash emails and Oscar needs to address that already.

Maybe your right about Top Rank but it seems Al Haymon only offers up the second or third rate talent to him. Golden Boy brings more money and sponsors to the table compared to other promoters in the game.

That was a shot at Jo Jo Diaz by the way. He like Errol Spence is going to get a title shot and prove that he can be the next big attraction in a loaded division. Can't argue the 6 million views but Jo Jo Diaz did fight four times on multiple HBO platforms, and I think Golden Boy could easily get Spence main event fights with ease.

And in regards to the addict comments your right but that addict by the name of Oscar de la Hoya still brings in major sponsors and money to the game and is still a big deal.

Again it's a long shot but for fans to dismiss the idea is nonsense. Outside of Floyd Money Mayweather there's no one else who has made more in the sport other than Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by DocGreenThumb. View Post
          I think if oscar promoted Spence he could be a superstar. GBP would have 2 cash cows in their stable. Haymon has too many fighters to have them reach super-stardome. Not enough activity for exposure for his boxers.

I don't think so. Oscar would never allow Spence to outshine Canelo. As a matter of fact Spence is fine right where he's at.

Comment

Any other South Africans here? Just wondering why fights involving black fighters are not being broadcast here in South Africa?

Last year there was a triple header of Lara vs Vanes Martirosan, Jermall Charlo vs Austin Trout, and Jermell Charlo vs John Jackson, and it wasn't broadcast whatsoever. But then a Provodnikov vs Molina card was broadcast, which is the only reason I got to watch the Demetrius Andrade vs Nelson fight.

Frampton vs Santa Cruz was broadcast both times but Broner vs Granados was not broadcast, nor was the Robert Easter fight a week before and nor is the Wilder card along with the Jarret Hurd vs Tony Harrison fight on the undercard being broadcast here. Stevenson vs Williams was also not broadcast but Kovalev v Ward was broadcast, but I bet if Ward was fighting Stevenson they wouldn't have broadcast it, that certainly seems to be the trend so far.

I'm worried that they won't show the Spence vs Kell Brook fight around here because it's two black fighters against each other, despite how big the fight is set to be. It seems to me that if there is no popular or champion white fighter then they don't bother broadcasting the fights, or if it aint an HBO (not black) fighter then they won't broadcast it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              The honest answer is that we don't know; Khan's own take was largely driven but what he was able to shop the UK TV rights for, while Brook's take was dependent on what the full event ended up doing (sellout of the O2, interest from the buying public in the fight on Sky Box Office, sponsors, etc) less costs and paying Golovkin his $3m-$4m, of which Brook kept 80%.

Still, not sure what the benefit of comparing two HBO fights to each other is though (while ignoring the fact that both fights had paywalls on them).

Over the last three years, how many million dollar fighters were on HBO, and how many million dollar fighters were on PBC (Showtime/CBS is also in the same basket, but I'll ignore that part for the sake of conversation)?

Alvarez is clearly a PPV fighter; beyond him, there's no other fighter on HBO that is making markedly more money than the fighters with PBC make, though the count of fighters making major money with PBC dwarfs the number of fighters making major money with HBO.

Oscar De La Hoya, imo, has an elite-level talent in Joseph Diaz Jr, yet he's yet to really do much of anything to help move him along. imagine how even more inept he'd look if it was on him to now try to move Errol Spence Jr.

Right, plus he has a super feather weight named Lamont Roach who has excellent skills and great potential. He has done nothing for the young man. Oscar is caught up trying to relive his life through Canelo.

Comment

He's not all there is he? Can't even hold eye contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post

I get your point there are probably give or take 15 to 20 guys who average anywhere from 1 to 1.5 million per fight under the PBC banner. Now keep this in mind most of those guys only fight once maybe twice a year at the most.

Now compare that to Ward, GGG who make twice as much per fight and fight more often.

Oscar has increased Jo Jo Diaz's fan base widely and his market ability. Think in one calendar year Jo Jo Diaz was the co main event on a Andre Ward, Canelo Alvarez, and Bernard Hopkins. What prospect has had that opportunity? That doesn't even include the HBO Latino platform he was on in July. He's on the brink of getting a chance to prove that he's a future star.

Errol Spence would get main event fights, get pay per view platforms, and in my opinion gets paid more.
                  Think about it from this perspective if Golden Boy Promotions is willing and able to pay David Lemieux a million per fight how much do you think they would pay Errol Spence per fight considering they are desperate for a talent like his in theory stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                    Spence would probably be the best welter back in that era
                    I disagree, Leonard and Hearns would most likely stop Spence.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                      hahahahahahahaha
                      Yeah, I had to laugh at that myself. The gent got jokes.

Comment

Working...
                      X