Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Wilder be a Prime Foreman's biggest kryptonite

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just envision this. Once Wilder is hit by George, everybody suddenly realizes that his skinny legs are not supporting him all that well. The analogy that comes to mind is Bamby )

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
      I don't get it. Why do you guys always favor old fighters?
      Undetermineds and romanticization.

Wilder is a question mark and Big George has been romanticized in everything from movies to comic books.

Comment

Didn't Foreman train and spar with Liston?
        Yes he did... He was "Mentored" by Liston...the only guy tough enough to tame a young George Foreman. Liston's reach was 84 inches to Wilder's 83 inch reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          Undetermineds and romanticization.

Wilder is a question mark and Big George has been romanticized in everything from movies to comic books.
          Wilder is way behind the curve in terms of the level of comp fought. He also is just beginning to put punches together in bunches. Its debatable whether he could even use his reach against an opponent who had a weakness against it. There is tape of George showing him handling different opponents. But Liston was a fighter with a great jab and one can see how big George uses his jab in similar fashion...I doubt Wilder would win the proverbial "reach" contest.
          Last edited by billeau2; 02-25-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Yes he did... He was "Mentored" by Liston...the only guy tough enough to tame a young George Foreman. Liston's reach was 84 inches to Wilder's 83 inch reach.
            Yeah, I understand what you're saying but, like every other sport, boxers have got better. It's like Aaron Pryor and Terence Crawford. Crawford is light years ahead of Pryor.

Comment

Yeah, I understand what you're saying but, like every other sport, boxers have got better. It's like Aaron Pryor and Terence Crawford. Crawford is light years ahead of Pryor.
              All I can tell you is if you look at boxing, not just "every sport." the information says otherwise, as does the logic. In life generalizations tend to get one is trouble...its the difference between thinking something through and just making assumptions.

For example, Wilder started boxing as a mature athlete, Liston did not. Fighters fought fifteen rounds and every minute of every round when Liston fought, Wilder often gets winded and sloppy during a round. The techniques that Liston displayed as a fighter are easy to see, and trace to his trainer, as are the same for Foreman...Wilder has JUST started to put his punches together. But don't take my word for it, its on tape.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Wilder is way behind the curve in terms of the level of comp fought. He also is just beginning to put punches together in bunches. Its debatable whether he could even use his reach against an opponent who had a weakness against it. There is tape of George showing him handling different opponents. But Liston was a fighter with a great jab and one can see how big George uses his jab in similar fashion...I doubt Wilder would win the proverbial "reach" contest.
                Well, what we saw tonight was a classic George Foreman move used by Deontay Wilder.

Washington employed the big man formula beautifully tonight, but Wilder it seems is a student of the HW Golden Era, hitting Gerald with the lead and leaving it there to help Wilder measure a short right at an odd angle without deforming the 90 degree elbow too much or distorting the powerline too much....Classic Foreman.

Comment

Yes, he would be. Not green but red kryptonite doe...

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                    Well, what we saw tonight was a classic George Foreman move used by Deontay Wilder.

Washington employed the big man formula beautifully tonight, but Wilder it seems is a student of the HW Golden Era, hitting Gerald with the lead and leaving it there to help Wilder measure a short right at an odd angle without deforming the 90 degree elbow too much or distorting the powerline too much....Classic Foreman.
                    No doubt that Wilder is improving. But he is working on a level where there is not much opposition...checkers, not chess. Truly impressive watching Foreman, move Joe Frazier around the ring to measure him continually. George knows that when his hand is extended, on Joe's shoulder, that Frazier won't have the reach to connect and that George will have the reach to connect on Joe.

Wilder has to take it to another level and work against an opponent who is capable of some resistance to being measured. part of the structure of punching through the "power line" is when an opponent makes an adjustment that throws off the alignment of the puncher's preferred line...

Comment

Prime Foreman was a little chinny. Prime Foreman lost to Ali but there is no shame in that. But Deontay Wilder is like a heavy weight version of Thomas Hearns or Sonny Liston 2.0. Tall, great jab, great right hand, and great at keeping the distance. Foreman never in his career faced a monster like Deontay. How would a showdown between Prime George Foreman and Deontay Wilder look? And who wins that fight?

Comment

Working...
                      X