Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If GGG Was Black American Boxer....... Would He Be More Popular?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not on NSB, that's for sure.

It's a tough question, because there's no possible way Golovkin's career plays out the same way if he was a black American. So much of his popularity has to do with circumstances forced on him because of years being ducked for not being a star. This forced him to take on whoever is willing and kept him active. Along with his style that is what made GGG a star.

If he was American, he would have a HUGE hype machine behind him well before now. Would that translate to more popularity? I'm not sure.

Comment

Black puncher with a high KO ratio? He'd be loved. Oh wait, there's Deontay Wilder already and Keith Thurman already. We see how fans react to Wilder.

Comment

Why you ppl are acting like he is a white person, the word 'white' doesn't refer to the skin colour, it refers to the people derived from the Scandinavian or Germanic races.
        Golovkin is a Turcic person from the Turcic race, he is a Kazakh.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          On NSB, no. In the sport as a whole, yes.

About 25-30% of his NSB fanbase wouldn't exist, the Freedom's, jubei's, bigdramshow, etc. would be gone. Another 30% of his NSB fanbase wouldn't like him primarily because he was an American. Another 10-15% of his NSB base would not like him as he would be put into the Floyd, Broner, Ward, WIider, Haymon etc group where all of them are judged the same despite having nothing in common.

Now there would be a number of posters hat would suddenly like him, I would say hat adds another 5-10% to his NSB fanbase, given there isn't a large volume of fans like this on NSB.

I would estimate he'd be roughly 60-70% less popular on NSB.

As for the sport as a whole-he'd be given more access on TV because he would speak English. Assuming he is the same Olympian he would have that added exposure. He would be a TR or Haymon guy (prob TR given his Olympic success) which would mean more of his fights would've been on HBO earlier in his career so US fan could "grow" with him.

So I'd say yes.
          Makes too much sense. Red k sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
            Why you ppl are acting like he is a white person, the word 'white' doesn't refer to the skin colour, it refers to the people derived from the Scandinavian or Germanic races.
            Golovkin is a Turcic person from the Turcic race, he is a Kazakh.
            He's actually from Soviet Kazakh born to a Russian father and a Korean mother.

Golovkin is an unofficial Russian.

What's funny is that his twin brother looks more Asian than him.

Anyway GGG is white/asian.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Black puncher with a high KO ratio? He'd be loved. Oh wait, there's Deontay Wilder already and Keith Thurman already. We see how fans react to Wilder.
              here you go with your victim mentality.wilder is seen by boxing fans as being soft coddled and protected.thurman is loved by everyone he gets no hate

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                Most fighters would: Rigondeaux, Lara, Kovalev, Golovkin, Lomachenko, etc.

Can you imagine if Guillermo Rigondeaux was William Richardson from Brooklyn, New York? A two time gold medalist, unified/lineal champion and pound for pound top 10 fighter with less than 20 fights? Then you add his **** talking on top of that.

Willy-Rich aka William Richardson.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR MIKEY! View Post

Nope, I don't think his popuarity has anything to do with his skin color. It's his style and willingness to accept risk and trade that makes him popular.

Historically, once we moved on from legal racism in the USA, action / stoppage inducing fighters have always been popular, latino, black, white, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                    that sig doe :wank:

lmao william richardson
                    I know.... got to be one of the whitest names ever. A guy with that name is crunching numbers in a dark backroom somewhere in the heat of tax season, lol

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                      I know.... got to be one of the whitest names ever. A guy with that name is crunching numbers in a dark backroom somewhere in the heat of tax season, lol
                      guillermo is spanish for william though, so not far off

Comment

Working...
                      X