Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Felix Verdejo Decision Flores, First FIght After Motorcycle Accident

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    I disagree. Mexican boxing is looking pretty good with Canelo, Cuadras (arguably beat the P4P #1), Santa Cruz and Estrada all being elite fighters, with Berchelt, Valdez and Nery following closely behind, plus solid depth in pretty much every division from 130 lbs and below

Cuban amateur boxing is as strong as it's ever been. The only difference is that not many of them have defected lately

Argentina has Castano and the younger Maidana

Puerto Rico is in a rough patch, but Diaz, Acosta, Rodriguez, Machado and Santiago could potentially win world titles at some point
    Fair assessment, just kind of feels like the equivalent of a sports team that's in a rebuilding stage. The future may be bright but the current roster doesn't generate the same excitement or appeal that most have been accustomed to historically. At least not yet.

Comment

It's been a long time even before the accident since verdejo has looked impressive. When do we face the truth it's not just an off night he's just not that good. Once he faces a top fighter he is getting wrecked.

Comment

Never been impressed by Verdejo, not that some of his Ko's haven't been great. The thing is he's had some serious hype but the competition level has stayed the same. I don't think Top Rank has a lot of confidence in him, Cotto was fighting ex champions after 2 years being pro. Verdejo has been pro over 4 years and he's still fighting guys I've never heard of.

I think they need to get the guy fighting constantly and get his confidence back up, maybe some off tv fights wouldn't be bad for the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by rrayvez View Post
          unfortunately all of Latino boxing is on a decline currently. Argentina had a golden stretch with Martinez, mathysse and maidana which came to an end. PR has no world champions other than a girl, mexico has 1 top 20 fighter who continues to take on mismatch fights and will do so again against another Mexican who hasn't done anything in 5 yrs. Cuba has 2 top fighters whose careers have gone nowhere due to inactivity and lack of willing opponents.
          sad but true

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
            Never been impressed by Verdejo, not that some of his Ko's haven't been great. The thing is he's had some serious hype but the competition level has stayed the same. I don't think Top Rank has a lot of confidence in him, Cotto was fighting ex champions after 2 years being pro. Verdejo has been pro over 4 years and he's still fighting guys I've never heard of.

I think they need to get the guy fighting constantly and get his confidence back up, maybe some off tv fights wouldn't be bad for the guy.
            They've been trying to build this kid up to be the next "Puerto Rican superstar" since the very outset. They don't care about him, just the revenue he promises. They're not going to back off. It's ride or die with this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post

Can't argue with any of that.

Comment

wow, he was like 8/1 to win on points...

Comment

Looked worst than ever. That is not what an elite world class fighter looks like. Strong kid but he def is very predictable and his movement choreographed. Couldn't even turn it up. Frustrated. Flores dude had him very uncomfy.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                    Sometimes you fight to impress and at times you fight just to win.. verdejo is so young, he still might be searching for his identity as a fighter..

He is still learning and is yet to be tested..
                    23 fights already. I think if you have 23 pro fights and you still haven't been in with other top contenders then it's fair to say you have ben protected until this point.

He reminds me of a PR version of Luke Campbell. He may need to take a loss to get serious.

Comment

Verdejo has a lot of stools but he don't shine in any. Once he step up it will tell what his career is going to be

Comment

Working...
                      X