Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andre Ward honor the contract and rematch Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward isn't getting back in there vs Kovalev...he's not gonna risk losing...again

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
      Rematch won't happen. I genuinely think Ward would rather retire with the 0, than get a multi-million dollar payday and risk a lose. He seems to believe he is a star and has name value - or that retiring officially undefeated will make him marketable in terms of branding post fight career. Either way, I think he drastically over estimates his prestige in the sport. He's been unremarkable since winning the Super 6, and in many ways, has been over shadowed in terms of popularity and significance by many of his opponents he's beaten.

Floyd made the 0 too sacred in the eyes of many modern boxers. Look at Froch, he lost, and he's easily more popular and respected in the sport than Ward. Hell Hopkins had a lot of loses on his way out, and he's beloved. The B-Hop brand, and his importance to the sport is far greater even in retirement than Ward's is as an active competitor.
      If Ward was afraid of losing his 0 he wouldn't have moved up and fought Kovalev in the first place.

Chavez sr did more to keep his 0 than anybody....you can't blame that on Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
        No he doesn't, the revenue generated does not justify the 5 mil he got let alone a pay rise in the rematch.

Ward needs to honour the rematch clause and whatever terms were stated in it. If he dips out of the rematch then that's a travesty and I'll lose a lot of respect for him.
        if roc nation wants to overpay him again is their problem. this time they should get it done on basic HBO

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          Ward isn't getting back in there vs Kovalev...he's not gonna risk losing...again
          Ward will prove you wrong again amigo.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
            as i was reading your post i knew kigali was gonna quote it first

Comment

Ward got 5 million the first time around and Kovalev got 2 million!!! Granted Roc Nation chose to pay him that but looking at those figures and the fact the fight did 160,000 buys..... does Ward deserve more money??? Does business 101 tell you he deserves more??

PLUS There is a rematch clause and I imagine the terms were already agreed.
              And? Ward won the fight as the challenger. He will - rightfully - demand the Lion's share. Kovalev, because he lost, has to bend to Ward's will.

Kovy had a rematch clause, but Ward didn't. That says an awful lot too.

The rematch terms WERE mostly likely agreed upon, but Ward is holding out for more which I don't blame him tbh. He won a very competitive fight where either guy could've been the winner. Since he got the W he should get more $$ to warrant a rematch.

Obviously I want to see the 2nd fight and I'm hoping all this gets sorted out, but the hypocrisy on these boards is mind-numbing.

Canelo offers GGG $10 million and GGG refuses because the offer is too low. Canelo prices himself out.

Ward holds out on rematch because he wants more money, but he is ducking for not taking the fight.

Some people can just do no wrong. Pacman was a PED using troll and, for some reason, became a lovable immigrant in the eyes of some (never me). Now it's GGG and Kovalev who are these do-no-wrong immigrants. Blows my mind.

Build the wall Trump and kick the immigrants out as well as their supporters. Pce out pac****S

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post

he's pretty predictable aint he

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                  I knew you'd be here running interference for a Russian.

Comment

Roc Nation probably lost money on that fight, therefore the 5 million was not justified. That's how business works.

I don't care how much Ward gets but if he starts saying the fight won't happen because he's not getting whatever amount he's asking for then as a fan I will be disappointed in him. I'm not his accountant, I don't watch boxing to see my favourite fighter get paid what he wants, I watch it to see my favourite fighters fight the best opponents.

The fight simply doesn't generate the money that would justify what Ward is asking for! ..... this is why boxing is in the dumpster, fighters are overpaid. Stop cheerleading bro, if Golovkin was asking for 5 million to fight Jacobs you'd be singing a different tune.
                    How could Golovkin be asking for said amount if Jacobs was his mandatory? You either fight or relinquish that belt. How long before did Ward agree to fight Kovalev?

ONly tune I'm singing is Golovkin not wanting to sign 15 million to fight Alvarez...yet there's an army here saying that Golovkin deserves more, so I'd imagine you don't follow their song either. You said fight the ''best.'' You and I know Alvarez is not the ''best'' for Golovkin. That's called going north and becoming a 2 Division champ instead of this nonsense all the belts crap from a division that for the past 5 years people have criticized as being weak.

Comment

No he doesn't, the revenue generated does not justify the 5 mil he got let alone a pay rise in the rematch.

Ward needs to honour the rematch clause and whatever terms were stated in it. If he dips out of the rematch then that's a travesty and I'll lose a lot of respect for him.
                      lol.

The fight did $3.5m at the gate in Las Vegas with another $10m cleared on the PPV, so what are you talking about.

You add that, in controversy, the rematch is likely going to be a bigger event, and why shouldn't Andre Ward get a bigger piece?

Andre Ward has the three belts, Andre Ward seemingly had more of the fan interest in Las Vegas, Andre Ward is of no obligation to any TV broadcaster, and Andre Ward is under no mandatory obligation to fight Kovalev.

Like you've ever had "respect" for Andre Ward.

What is stopping Andre Ward from signing a minimum 10-fight, 4-year deal with Showtime and then telling Kovalev that the rematch woul be on Ward's terms?

Comment

Working...
                      X