No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Black Hitler - Boxing And The Anti-PBC Effect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
    What answer? Give me a link where it says HBO banned the title fight between Quillin vs Korobov.
    HBO banned Haymon associated fighters from the network, jake discusses this in the article so there is no need for me to provide another link.

The link I provided explains why Quillin dropped the belt.

Never seen an alleged boxing fan be so upset that someone might be successful putting more boxing matches on TV and not PPV. Why are you so against him? Is it because Haymon is black? Gay or Bi? Not with HBO?

Well it can't be if he is gay or bi because you were happy GBP got a deal with ESPN2/ESPN Deportes.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
      nothing in those emails indicated that they intended to actually FABRICATE opposition material, just that they would leak test results if they could get them, and that they wanted to find media members that were sympathetic to their position on Haymons practices, especially as it pertained to California, and whether or not he was running afoul of the rules and regulations there. (not an uncommon position)

But if your point is that Oscar might have a grudge against the guy that tried to steal his company, then great. What a shock. Who would think that someone might have a grudge against the man that corrupted his CEO, tried to buy him out, and when that failed tried to destroy his company. I cant imagine anyone carrying a grudge over something so minor.....lol
      ODH lost his company to Schaeffer because he was drug addict that wasn't handling his business as he should.

Comment

• i am not accusing or saying this is true, but I heard a rumor that Jake recently took a paying gig from PBC for a telecast? Can somebody confirm or deny that? thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by marvdave2 View Post
          i am not accusing or saying this is true, but I heard a rumor that Jake recently took a paying gig from PBC for a telecast? Can somebody confirm or deny that? thanks
          Yes, he discusses his relationship with PBC in the article.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
            It's been more than just lately...it's been going down for a while.

But I don't think people have been nearly silent about it, or only start writing about it nearly as recently, as the writer suggests.
            Lampley mentioned that boxing as a whole is suffering and he didn't show a bias towards his network. On the Fight Game, he highlighted how we (the boxing community) got to where we are, and what the current landscape is, and why everyone, HBO included, needs to do better by the fans and the fighters.

Comment

• Black folk need to sit there ass down , its crazy how bloggers like dontaes nation feel they have caught OSCAR DE LAHOYA in some kind of donald sterling act, this was a unknown janitor, blogger hispanc journalist who you and i have never heard of
              Lets focus on the greatest mayweather when he actually spit racials slurs about asians or when hopkins said he would never let a white boy beat me, it not racist unless the roles are reversed
              And lets not get started with angel garcia, from the crawfords nappy head comments to calling thurman the n word
              I understand puerto ricans grew up talking like that but in the context on how angels was saying it speaking yelling into the mike saying u a n**** about four to five times to try to get thurman to react

Comment

• Good analysis

Originally posted by miked85 View Post
                Has PBC been a huge success in its early run? No, heck no, they have kinks they have to work out, and we shall see if they find their way, any major company starting out, any business in inception, I like to give them breathing room as they find their way

However, I do believe, in this small tight knit boxing community and media press, there has been a smear campaign to completely undermine and thrash haymon at all costs

Idk why, is it because there's bitterness on the split with hbo

Is it because he is a recluse that doesn't pander to media and do interviews (which all in all, is that a crime? Does he owe us a interview)

Is it because he's black, sounds simplified I know, but look at black Wall Street, Tulsa massacre, MOVE bombing in philly, we've seen drama when black folks try to mobilize in the corporate or social world for advancement, maybe just maybe, people don't like see Al Haymon in power

Whatever the case is, Steve Jobs failed numerous times before he got it right, but we gave him chances, why are we up and down Haymon and PBC throat, for free or low cost products

There is a sickening division in boxing that's racially based
                I don't like to racebait, but you're right. Lots of racial division in boxing, almost at every level. Sad, but true

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  HBO banned Haymon associated fighters from the network, jake discusses this in the article so there is no need for me to provide another link.

The link I provided explains why Quillin dropped the belt.

Never seen an alleged boxing fan be so upset that someone might be successful putting more boxing matches on TV and not PPV. Why are you so against him? Is it because Haymon is black? Gay or Bi? Not with HBO?

Well it can't be if he is gay or bi because you were happy GBP got a deal with ESPN2/ESPN Deportes.
                  The ban originally was on GBP, and was as much, or not more, about Schaefer that it was Haymon...from Rafael:

Since then, there has been a steady migration of Golden Boy's top talent -- star fighters such as Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Victor Ortiz, Peter Quillin and a slew of others -- to rival Showtime, whose sports division is now run by Stephen Espinoza. Espinoza is close with Golden Boy executives because he was the company's chief attorney before taking the network job.
                  "I'm hardly surprised. I cannot be surprised, and I am not surprised," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "The president of HBO Sports did not have any conversations with me since last November or December about anything. It is clear that in the aftermath of the biggest names in the sport, Floyd Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez, leaving HBO for Showtime that HBO is obviously upset at [Mayweather adviser] Al Haymon and me, and this is their way of getting back at us.
                  According to HBO sources, the company had grown tired of demands from Schaefer for specific dates and matchups and constant threats to take fighters to Showtime if he did not get his way. That is what happened, for example, when Golden Boy and HBO were negotiating a fight for junior middleweight titlist Alvarez, Mexico's most popular fighter, last year. When HBO elected to go with the much-anticipated Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. middleweight championship fight on pay-per-view on Sept. 15 instead of an Alvarez fight, Schaefer took him to Showtime and put on a competing network card.
                  http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...hip-golden-boy

Comment

• There were many meaningful fights that should have been made at PBC and SHO where Haymon had the fighters, resources and complete control of the situation. Many of those fights are now meaningless. This anti-PBC thing didn't just come out in a vacuum.

Comment

• Originally posted by crow511 View Post
                      Black folk need to sit there ass down , its crazy how bloggers like dontaes nation feel they have caught OSCAR DE LAHOYA in some kind of donald sterling act, this was a unknown janitor, blogger hispanc journalist who you and i have never heard of
                      Lets focus on the greatest mayweather when he actually spit racials slurs about asians or when hopkins said he would never let a white boy beat me, it not racist unless the roles are reversed
                      And lets not get started with angel garcia, from the crawfords nappy head comments to calling thurman the n word
                      I understand puerto ricans grew up talking like that but in the context on how angels was saying it speaking yelling into the mike saying u a n**** about four to five times to try to get thurman to react
                      How exactly do you know the race of the people who would like to see this issue get more coverage? I've seen a few post (like 2-3 people) in this thread where that is obvious, but overall that doesn't seem to be apparent.

All that stuff you're bringing up, is deflecting away from the issue of why the revelations made in this case haven't received more attention.

It's funny that journalists (and pretty much everyone on this site) is so obsessed with the business of boxing, but when we finally get some verifiable information from the suit (GBP's poor financials, Haymon's lack of compensation, PBC expenditures for the time buys, the coordination of a smearing campaign by GBP, etc.), all of a sudden it gets little to no attention from media. (with the exception of the Bloody Elbow and now this article)

No one said Oscar said anything personally here, but those around him seem to have issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X