Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Boxing Fans Get Offended When Fans Get Excited About Young Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    Wilfred Benitez, Manny Pacquiao had less than 25 fights and was not even 20 yet before becoming a world champion. If Spence is some sort of an "ATG" then he doesn't need 25-30 fights. So it is completely irritating that spence is heralded with the same breath with Thomas Hearns and Trinidad.
    Well, Spence wants to fight Brook and Thurman to win a world title in 22 fights. Isn't that the logical next step?

Comment

Did people at the time said that Trinidad could beat SRL when he was an unproven prospect? Hell no, they waited for him to get tested before even talking about such fantasy fights.

But unlike spence fans here.....
      No one is saying that Spence is a future all time great. Brook and his team are ducking him. I don't blame Brook after Golovkin broke his eye socket. Brook and his team don't want to see him against another aggressive puncher.

Comment

I think there is a lower barrier of entry into claiming greatness or having a great resume via titles or title defenses in boxing these days that allow many good fighters to have some fans proclaiming their greatness before they have the actual resume in the ring (f#ck belts) vs the opponent's to actually be great by most reasonable thinking fans. I think that leads to more fans being overly critical or just critical of those guys on the way up with potential and some of the good fighters who could still show true greatness one day, but who today have fans acting like they are already the ATG P4P #1 lol.

Comment

Wilfred Benitez, Manny Pacquiao had less than 25 fights and was not even 20 yet before becoming a world champion. If Spence is some sort of an "ATG" then he doesn't need 25-30 fights. So it is completely irritating that spence is heralded with the same breath with Thomas Hearns and Trinidad.
          Spence is trying to fight the guy many consider to be the best WW for his title in his 22nd fight. The fight hasn't been signed because Brook is looking to fight someone else at 147 or move up to 154.

How in the hell can you hold this against Spence?

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
            Well, Spence wants to fight Brook and Thurman to win a world title in 22 fights. Isn't that the logical next step?

This

And they don't want to fight Spence. Got some lame excuses that he is not yet famous. Spence's last fight had a good rating when he fought in Coney Island last year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing...nap-story.html

Comment

Why is it absurd to make a fantasy fight between an unproven prospect with leaky defense with an HOF that fought with one of the best in his time and goes through to the 12 round against a natural light heavyweight? You tell me.
              lol. Dont forget the thread i saw the other day 'thomas hearns v errol spence- who wins?'. But nah, noones hyping up spence, apparantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I think there is a lower barrier of entry into claiming greatness or having a great resume via titles or title defenses in boxing these days that allow many good fighters to have some fans proclaiming their greatness before they have the actual resume in the ring (f#ck belts) vs the opponent's to actually be great by most reasonable thinking fans. I think that leads to more fans being overly critical or just critical of those guys on the way up with potential and some of the good fighters who could still show true greatness one day, but who today have fans acting like they are already the ATG P4P #1 lol.
                But on the flipside, a top 5 contender is considered a bum. Look at the GGG criticism. From reading comments on here you would think he has an F- resume. But he's nearly cleaned out all of the top contenders in his division.

And on top of that, nostalgia kicks in. People give Hopkins, Monzon and these other fighters credit for beating similar quality fighters when they had their fair share of duds during their middleweight runs as well.

Comment

I've never hated on either guy in your examples, but there's a difference between getting excited and going 'full ******'. Saying that Spence beats Canelo or Golovkin is insane. Making threads about him vs. Tito is crazy.

As far as Davis goes, I have no problem with the idea that he's young and needs more seasoning, however I do have a huge problem with him walking around with a world title. The point of a world title is that you're the champion, you're the best. Don't fight for a world title if you're unwilling to face other champions in the division. You're disrespecting the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                    I've never hated on either guy in your examples, but there's a difference between getting excited and going 'full ******'. Saying that Spence beats Canelo or Golovkin is insane. Making threads about him vs. Tito is crazy.

As far as Davis goes, I have no problem with the idea that he's young and needs more seasoning, however I do have a huge problem with him walking around with a world title. The point of a world title is that you're the champion, you're the best. Don't fight for a world title if you're unwilling to face other champions in the division. You're disrespecting the sport.
                    Let's be realisitic though. He can't fight Lomachenko and Vargas due to politics. If Loma beats Corrales that's another unification that can't happen.

So he can't unify because he can't fight Oscar or Arum guys. His only duty as a title holder is to defend against his mandos which the IBF does a good job of enforcing.

If he avoids his mandatories, then the time to criticize will be appropriate. (As was the case with Canelo and currently Kell Brook)

Comment

I have a problem when people start thinking these young fighters will blow anyone out of the water.

Like people here saying Spence beats Brook easily just because Brook lacks resume (basically) but at the same time wtf has Spence done? Brook might lack resume but he is no slouch and has got the experience factor over Spence. That's not to say Spence wouldn't beat him but I would still pick Brook over Spence. Maybe not at this point though. Not after going to 160 getting his **** broken and then coming back down without a tuneup.

Comment

Working...
                      X