Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Boxing Fans Get Offended When Fans Get Excited About Young Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what people dont like is disproportionate hype. Putting him in mythical match ups with trinidad and hearns is one example. His win against bundu got overhyped like mad. 'OH MY GOD HE BEAT A 40 YEAR OLD QUICKER THAN THURMAN DID, SPENCE IS THE REAL DEAL' get real ffs, thurman won every round off him too, hardly struggled. Youer doing what you do with other fighters, start comparing fighters by 'who beat the bum quicker'. Just think americans are pinning their hopes on spence as the new, exciting megastar, and are so desperate for him to be it that they are making out hes one before hes even fought anyone. If spence was a different nationality he wouldnt have got 10 percent of the hype hes getting. Plenty of prospects who are at his stage in every division.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
      what people dont like is disproportionate hype. Putting him in mythical match ups with trinidad and hearns is one example. His win against bundu got overhyped like mad. 'OH MY GOD HE BEAT A 40 YEAR OLD QUICKER THAN THURMAN DID, SPENCE IS THE REAL DEAL' get real ffs, thurman won every round off him too, hardly struggled. Youer doing what you do with other fighters, start comparing fighters by 'who beat the bum quicker'. Just think americans are pinning their hopes on spence as the new, exciting megastar, and are so desperate for him to be it that they are making out hes one before hes even fought anyone. If spence was a different nationality he wouldnt have got 10 percent of the hype hes getting. Plenty of prospects who are at his stage in every division.
      Is that hype or a topic of conversation?

A poll asking who you think would win between Spence/Hearns isn't the same as saying Spence is an ATG and ranks ahead of Hearns.

And you kind of exposed yourself with that last sentence. I think I'm starting to get my answers.

As more and more people contribute to this topic, I expect to have a better understanding of why being excited about a young fighter causes so many fight fans to be upset.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        But on the flipside, a top 5 contender is considered a bum. Look at the GGG criticism. From reading comments on here you would think he has an F- resume. But he's nearly cleaned out all of the top contenders in his division.
        I'd argue that the "ain't sh^t" claims on any solid top ten caliber fighter who for sure is an elite type guy in his division is more or less a byproduct of all the hype guys tend to get before they've proven anything at all sometimes or even when they've shown as much as GGG has. But its by a small % of fans so its not like its the consensus opinion.

I would say for GGG specifically most reasonable mfers, aka non-fanboys & non-haters, have a appreciation & respect for GGG & can agree that at this point he's the #1 160lber. You can't make the minority opinions of people who say he's a bum or the greatest P4P of all timesssssssss the consensus opinion or take those types of fans opinions too serious. Just like with any sport there are a lot of mfers who talk without thinking. And fair play to those guys they enjoy talking without thinking & still enjoy boxing & support the sport, but the more critical thinking fans can't put too much weight with their wild thoughts & opinions.

And on top of that, nostalgia kicks in. People give Hopkins, Monzon and these other fighters credit for beating similar quality fighters when they had their fair share of duds during their middleweight runs as well.
        True. Everyone seems to get better the further back you go in history to some cats lol. The middle ground of most things is where logic & truth tend to hang out doe so you can't take those minority of fans all that seriously either.

In general if you are listening to & talking to the right guys you tend to have a healthy amount of respect for fighters at all levels of the game. Its when you listen to these guys who are the loudest with the most extreme (good or bad) opinions that your take on what most think starts to get skewed on what most quieter, more respectful fans & pundits actually think & what the actual truth of the matter is.

Comment

Have you ever considered that so many talk about him because his fight drew 6 million viewers?

Comment

Is that hype or a topic of conversation?

A poll asking who you think would win between Spence/Hearns isn't the same as saying Spence is an ATG and ranks ahead of Hearns.

And you kind of exposed yourself with that last sentence. I think I'm starting to get my answers.

As more and more people contribute to this topic, I expect to have a better understanding of why being excited about a young fighter causes so many fight fans to be upset.
            no ive exposed you if anything, cause youre upset that people arent jumping on the bandwagon for two american fighters who have achieved the square root of **** all. If people think im exaggerating about the hype they should see the comments after the bundu fight, i thought he was going to be entering the hall of fame straight after the fight judging by some of the responses. You dont see other fighters who arent even world champions getting put in with mythical match ups against ATG's either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              Have you ever considered that so many talk about him because his fight drew 6 million viewers?
              wasnt it shown straight after the olympics? People couldnt be arsed to switch the TV over thats why.

Comment

I think it's two separate issues though. (For the record I'm a Lomatard so this doesn't necessarily apply to me)

Loma is rated in the top 3 on some pound for pound lists so some folks are criticizing that status because of his lack of body of work thus far. (I personally have him in the top 5 because I think he's that good but can understand somebody wanting to see more)

Davis appears on nobody's p4p list, has headlined no fights, has beaten one, top 10 contender, has far less amateur experience, has no Olympic experience and has yet to enter his prime.

Why are we even mentioning these fighters in the same post?
                Well they got mention in the same post because Floyd did... I haven't seen anyone demanding this fight though and everything I read so far already accept the fact that Davis is not in Loma league. It's logical though to expect a champion and have the nerve to call yourself a champ then people expect you to take on all challengers.

Spence deal though I don't understand at all. Some of the post are ******ed and a lot of them come from ggg fans who should understand because he gets a lot of stupid criticism while being duck massively.

But I've seen a lot of your post you seem to criticize ggg unfairly so you shouldn't be calling anyone out.

Comment

Let's be realisitic though. He can't fight Lomachenko and Vargas due to politics. If Loma beats Corrales that's another unification that can't happen.

So he can't unify because he can't fight Oscar or Arum guys. His only duty as a title holder is to defend against his mandos which the IBF does a good job of enforcing.

If he avoids his mandatories, then the time to criticize will be appropriate. (As was the case with Canelo and currently Kell Brook)
                  That's fine, but my problem is specifically with his and his promoter's stance that they're not ready for other champs. Whether it's possible or not is a secondary issue.

Don't win a world title and say you're not ready for other champions. It's why Wilder was a joke in my book, why Stevenson is still a joke and why BJS is the laughing stock of the boxing world. Being a champion is a statement, a challenge to everyone and anyone. If that's not your intent, don't win a belt.

Comment

no ive exposed you if anything, cause youre upset that people arent jumping on the bandwagon for two american fighters who have achieved the square root of **** all. If people think im exaggerating about the hype they should see the comments after the bundu fight, i thought he was going to be entering the hall of fame straight after the fight judging by some of the responses. You dont see other fighters who arent even world champions getting put in with mythical match ups against ATG's either.
                    You're misunderstanding me though.

I don't want you to hype them up. My argument is nobody is hyping them up. They are just curious because they appear to be talented up an coming fighters.

Comment

wasnt it shown straight after the olympics? People couldnt be arsed to switch the TV over thats why.
                      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...=spence+Hearns

Dude, with all dues respect, here is thread about Spence and Hearns. The TS, a new poster or alt, asks who would do better against Hearns, Spence or Brook. He then gives reason why he thinks Spence will win. There are only 22 posts in the thread.

Is there another thread? If not, then you are seriously over exaggerating the hype Spence is getting.
                      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X