No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    You can read plenty of newspaper accounts online if you look, read Dempsey's autobio, and most importantly watch the footage. We have footage of Firpo and Willard. None of Carl Morris but you can read plenty of newspaper accounts and Dempsey's own testimony to back it up.

I've done my research. Time for you to do yours.
    Save your breath

He thinks bigger means better

Comment

• There have been empires of Romans, Persians, Macedons, Ottomans... They fought good, destroyed armies and were great for their times but you cannot match their armies up even with some Banana or Island republics of today.

Comment

Now I know that you haven't done your research. You must be new to the sport...

Boxing has been under traditional rules since 1892. That doesn't mean boxing was founded in 1892, that just means that instead of fighting each rd until someone went down they fought for 3 minutes with 1 minute of rest. From the film I have seen, it was actually around Dempsey's time that fighters started to get more modern in their pacing and stance.

So what percent of fighters employ shifting in their game today? How many of them are masters of feinting in order to put their opponent out of position? How many fighters today use the Bob and Weave? How many of them throw 6 inch knockout punches?How many have mastered the art of inside fighting?

I guarantee you that you won't use more than 1 hand to count the amount who do even one of those things. Guess what, Dempsey and fighters from his era did ALL of those things.

Are you really going to tell me that Benny Leonard wouldn't be at least a champ today? That Harry Greb wouldn't be a threat today? Fitz? Langford? Tunney? C'mon, get outta here with that BS.

Sorry but that's the truth.
        An outstanding post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rovi View Post
          There have been empires of Romans, Persians, Macedons, Ottomans... They fought good, destroyed armies and were great for their times but you cannot match their armies up even with some Banana or Island republics of today.
          Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy Logical Fallacy

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
            More ignorance.

Again, I invite you to look at today's HW division in more detail.

Today, we have a champion in Wilder who has poor coordination, who struggles against C class guys, who needs his great power as a get out of jail card.

Again, look at the top 20 guys, and then come back and tell me that Jack couldn't have beaten some of them with his attributes.
            Wilder would kill Dempsey as would anyone in the top 20. You call me ignorant? Dempsey was too small and his defense was nil so I think you're ignorant.

Read this: TOO SMALL
            moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Now I know that you haven't done your research. You must be new to the sport...

Boxing has been under traditional rules since 1892. That doesn't mean boxing was founded in 1892, that just means that instead of fighting each rd until someone went down they fought for 3 minutes with 1 minute of rest. From the film I have seen, it was actually around Dempsey's time that fighters started to get more modern in their pacing and stance.

So what percent of fighters employ shifting in their game today? How many of them are masters of feinting in order to put their opponent out of position? How many fighters today use the Bob and Weave? How many of them throw 6 inch knockout punches?How many have mastered the art of inside fighting?

I guarantee you that you won't use more than 1 hand to count the amount who do even one of those things. Guess what, Dempsey and fighters from his era did ALL of those things.

Are you really going to tell me that Benny Leonard wouldn't be at least a champ today? That Harry Greb wouldn't be a threat today? Fitz? Langford? Tunney? C'mon, get outta here with that BS.

Sorry but that's the truth.
              Lol @ you trying to tell me about my sport. Get real. Too small. Not skilled enough. Joe Louis wouldn't crack the top 5 today even. Modern athletes are bigger, more athletic and plain old smarter. None of those fighters would be competitive in today's hw div where the champions are 6 foot 4-7 and weigh close to 250 lbs or more with huge reach.

Sorry but that's real truth.
              Last edited by Boxing Goat; 06-28-2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

The 190 that he weighed was almost all muscle, with hardly any body fat. That was also on a 6'1 frame, with a 77" reach. You can't label him as just being a modern day LHW. He would more than likely have been a CW today.

Saying he was just too small to have been competitive is completely ignorant.

He would have struggled today against the much bigger elite HW's. However, take a look at today's top 50 HW's. I guarantee you you won't even have heard of half of them.

He would have had a shot at beating most of the top 20 HW's. List them and watch footage of them. Outside of the elite, the HW division isn't that strong. Jack had the size and the style to have beaten a lot of guys today.

If Mike Tyson had fought in the 40's, would you be saying that there's no way he would have been able to have competed with today's guys because he was too small? Jack Dempsey wasn't particularly small, and if today's HW's were in the shape that he was in, many of them wouldn't be weighing 230 plus. And like Mike proved time and again, the right blend of size and style can overcome even huge disparities in size.
                Clobbered badly. Tyson would have clobbered him badly.

Are you really dumb enough to think he would beat Wlad, Joshua, Wilder or Fury even?

No way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                  Wilder would kill Dempsey as would anyone in the top 20. You call me ignorant? Dempsey was too small and his defense was nil so I think you're ignorant.

Dempsey would eat Wilder for breakfast.
                  His sparring partners were better than Wilder.

Marciano would f.uck him up even worse.
                  Beontay Wilder, Cassius Clay, Lummox Lewis etc would all be easy work For the Rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post

The guy Dempsey ****s up here ain't small you ****. And he's better than beontay wildman.
                    This dude is called Jess Willard, he beat the hell out of "black legend" jack johnson and then Dempsey killed him.

Comment

So much ignorance.

Why are you so obsessed with weight?

A lot of today's guys aren't in shape.

Don't tell me a ripped guy weighing just under 200 pounds, with a bob and weave style, with speed and power, couldn't trouble SOME of today's top 20 HW's.

You're kidding yourself.
                      What i do know the most on this thread is Kigali ( known as the worst poster on this site)...DagoWop...A.K.A Mojo rising ( who thinks Lewis at 6'0 tall would be more effective than at 6'5 inches tall) are both in agreement with you....and your not to far behind of being such an imbecile...though theres NO way you can exceed them no matter how hard you are trying here!

Maybe you can surpass Mr.steele above who is using a fat out of shape past prime Johnson as a showcase for how good Willard was ( even though JJ threw the fight..lol)!
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 06-28-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X